• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snapcatcher
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2009
    • Brisbane

What is body lift ?

Like the title says, I'd like to know what body lift is ? What beneift does it has on top of suspension lift ? how does it work ? is it expensive ?

Cheers guys, please enlighten me
    Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Snapcatcher View Post
    Like the title says, I'd like to know what body lift is ? What beneift does it has on top of suspension lift ? how does it work ? is it expensive ?

Cheers guys, please enlighten me
    Traditionally, a body lift involves adding spacers between the chassis and the body. This typically lifts the front & rear bumpers to improve approach & departure angles, but it doesn't improve ramp-over, because the chassis hasn't been lifted. Clearance under door sills is improved, which may help when crawling over large rocks. By lifting the body but not the heavy chassis/engine/gearbox, the additional clearance is obtained with minimal raising of the centre of gravity.

I did my body lift so I could make more room for an aftermarket long-range tank - and it also gave me clearance for larger tyres, so I had to do it.

Your NM doesn't have a separate chassis, so you can't do a traditional body lift, but there are kits available overseas to space the front and rear suspension sub-frames from the body/monocoque chassis. These are more complicated than a traditional body lift, and I'm not aware of anybody selling them in Australia.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• tinks
      • Jan 2009
      • Sth East Melbourne

I was under the impression that a body lift, lifted everything unlike a suspension lift that still leaves the engine, gearbox, chasis etc the same? If this is not the case, what is the advantage of a body lift over a suspension lift?
      2005 NP V6 Exceed, 2"lift, BFG AT's, uniden uhf, 3 way fridge, semi offroad camper, proficiency course and proficiency plus course, plus wish list

Comment

• bakerboy
        "valued 3000+ member"
        • May 2008
        • Perth

Originally posted by tinks View Post
        I was under the impression that a body lift, lifted everything unlike a suspension lift that still leaves the engine, gearbox, chasis etc the same? If this is not the case, what is the advantage of a body lift over a suspension lift?
        other way round mate lol, body lifts only that, the body shell, suspension lifts everything attached to the chassis. advantages are its cheap and wont raise ur COG as much as an equivilant suspension lift
        If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Matumbi
          • Apr 2008
          • Darwin

The other problem is..... you can't do a standard body lift on an NM or NP (and others, I just don't know that much about other models). Closest thing is a sub-frame/cradle lift. These vehicles don't have a standard chassis, therefore you can't lift the body off it. The added benefit of a sub-frame/cradle lift is that it lifts the engine, gearbox, diffs etc as well. I does create other problems though, like CV angles. I don't know the nitty gritty about it, but the limited reading I have done on the subject put it in the "too hard basket" for now.

Need more info? Here's a starter for you: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=3591
          Matumbi
          1st Pajero: '96 NJ GLX 2.8 TD
          Current Pajero: '05 NP GLX 3.2 DiD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X