• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AAKASH
    • Jan 2016
    • Queanbeyan

rockford mmcs replacement

Hi I was wondering if anyone had success in replacement the head unit on a pajero running mcs with premium rockford.
    I was wondering if someone actually managed to replace the head unit with something like the following units and still be able to use all speakers and dvd player setting.

ケンウッドブランドの総合情報ページです。ホームオーディオ、カーオーディオ、カーナビゲーション、無線機等の商品情報や、サポートなどの商品関連情報を提供している公式ホームページです。

Thanks

Nitin Jayanand
    New to Pajero.. 2009 NT Pajero Exceed,V6,3.8L, BOOBOO Bash Plates,
  • 8seconds
    • Apr 2008
    • Katanning, WA

I'd be keen to know as well. I want to ditch the piece of crap mmcs in mine as well. Ive looked at the digoptions one but they just don't do anything for me in terms of appearance. I'd like to remove the unit in there now and replace with at least same screen size. Ive just put a single din Kenwood unit in my G8 Fairlane and am happy with the quality of Kenwood.

Comment

• bugeye50
      • Oct 2013
      • Douglas Park NSW 2569

I replaced mine about 18 months ago with a mongoose unit. Not really into hi fi, so to me the sound quality is quite good.
      The problem I had and I'm not sure if it's correct, but when ringing around, I was told by a couple of technicians that only certain places have the know how to do it.
      I ended up being referred to a place in Fairfield NSW, and everything works ok, DVD, Sat Nav, rear camera, radio, CD etc.
      From memory, I think it cost about $1300 to supply and install.
      Hope this helps.
      Alan

Comment

• executive
        • May 2011
        • Melbourne - Doncaster

Originally posted by AAKASH View Post
        Hi I was wondering if anyone had success in replacement the head unit on a pajero running mcs with premium rockford.
        I was wondering if someone actually managed to replace the head unit with something like the following units and still be able to use all speakers and dvd player setting.

ケンウッドブランドの総合情報ページです。ホームオーディオ、カーオーディオ、カーナビゲーション、無線機等の商品情報や、サポートなどの商品関連情報を提供している公式ホームページです。

Thanks

Nitin Jayanand
        Hi AAKkash ,
        I have a 2011 Pajero NT and it does have the crappy MMC unit which I am currently looking at replacing it with a Kenwood head unit :

I was initially looking at the Pioneer AVH-Z5000DAB but then realized that Pioneer has the Resistive display where as this Kenwood system has the Capacitive display which is far smoother . Also , this Kenwood has the Wifi capability for mirroring which again is an advantage .

I will be getting the new unit , and then pull out my old crappy MMC and replace it with this one. Given that I have done a lot of cabling in my car myself, I do not trust anyone else to touch it so I will install this myself and let you know what I think if you are interested . The only issue is the cost of the unit which is around $1025 but I will probably add a second camera to it as well and redo the steering wheel buttons too which may cost me another $100.

Comment

• AAKASH
          • Jan 2016
          • Queanbeyan

hi

Thanks many for the options. Im still wondering if you managed to get the sound system adapted to run the premium speakers on the exceed including 5.1 surround.

Comment

• AAKASH
            • Jan 2016
            • Queanbeyan

Originally posted by bugeye50 View Post
            I replaced mine about 18 months ago with a mongoose unit. Not really into hi fi, so to me the sound quality is quite good.
            The problem I had and I'm not sure if it's correct, but when ringing around, I was told by a couple of technicians that only certain places have the know how to do it.
            I ended up being referred to a place in Fairfield NSW, and everything works ok, DVD, Sat Nav, rear camera, radio, CD etc.
            From memory, I think it cost about $1300 to supply and install.
            Hope this helps.
            Alan
            Hi Alan

Could you let me know the mangoose unit part number. are

Comment

• bugeye50
              • Oct 2013
              • Douglas Park NSW 2569

Hi there Akkash,
              Sorry for the belated response, haven't been on the computer much lately.
              The model is a Q260, although I'm not sure if this would now be the latest mode.
              I've just taken a couple of photos of the box, which shows some of the features.
              Now to work out how to attach them to the post.
              If they don't appear, let me know your email address and I will send them directly.
              Regards
              Alan
              Attached Files

Comment

• executive
                • May 2011
                • Melbourne - Doncaster

I finally installed my new Kenwood DDX917WS system . I love this unit specially that is has Android Auto and Apple play.
                The unit is designed for the new Toyotas as it is widescreen but with some minor modifications it fits perfectly .

Comment

• mr_bosman
                  • Oct 2014
                  • Warrnambool

How did you go with the following:

Steering Wheel Controls
                  Speakers and Sub woofer connections
                  2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
                  http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• executive
                    • May 2011
                    • Melbourne - Doncaster

My steering wheel controls work perfectly as the unit has this functionality . As for the subwoofer , there is no sub in the RX model.

Thanks

Comment

• 8seconds
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Katanning, WA

Originally posted by executive View Post
                      I finally installed my new Kenwood DDX917WS system . I love this unit specially that is has Android Auto and Apple play.
                      The unit is designed for the new Toyotas as it is widescreen but with some minor modifications it fits perfectly .
                      Any Pics? What modifications did you need to do?

Comment

• executive
                        • May 2011
                        • Melbourne - Doncaster

One of the main reasons I went with Kenwood vs Pioneer is because these units have Capacitive screens which are a lot smoother than Resistive screens .

Here are the photos of the work .
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	980735Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	980736Click image for larger version

Name:	20170829_171628.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	980737Click image for larger version

Name:	20170829_173016.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	980738

Just to be clear , this Kenwood unit is designed for the new Toyotas and Subaru's as they have the larger opening and hence the model name : DDX917WS (Widescreen) and has the size of 200mm (w) x 100mm (H) with the extra trim it takes it to : 210mm (w) x 104 (H)
                        Welcome to KENWOOD Australia Site. In pursuit of further value creation by integrality our three core business segments and establish [ mobile & home multimedia system ] business

The Pajero NT , provides 210mm (w) x 110 (H) wide opening which will fit this unit however, I am not sure if there is a pre-made wiring harness for this particular unit given that most people who decide to get these features go with its brother DDX9017DABS which has exact same features plus a digital radio but it is lacking the Gesture feature that is only available on the widescreen version .

Also to make the unit sit back flush with the facia , I had to modify the bracket a little which took some time . Most people said that I will not be able to install this unit and should go with DDX9017DABS as it is designed for most cars but this meant that I had to get a new facia trim for $80 and also I would have had to have a bigger gap around the unit which the facia trim would have covered but I wanted to make this as original as possible.

Unit does come with two USB cables and I have since moved one of these cabled to a high spot on the dash .and the other in the glovebox which I can use for USB sticks .
                        hope this helps

Comment

• starjunk
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • Sydney

nice neat job! Well worth the extra effort; it really looks the part, and maximising screen real estate is always a priority I believe. Well done!!
                          '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                          '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                          '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                          '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• executive
                            • May 2011
                            • Melbourne - Doncaster

Thanks Starjunk , i like the fact that you can drive this unit by voice and dont need to use the keyboard or buttons much. Even the navigation is fully voice driven . But this does come at a cost , data plan off your mobile !!!. I dont suspect this data usage be high though.

The other feature is mirroring , where i have Hema maps on my Android phone and can mirror this on the Kenwood and it looks great.

I will look at selling my MMC unit soon as i will not be putting it back in the car. I did check with Mitsubishi to see how much is a replacement mmc just a matter of interest and couldn't believe what I heard ... $5000 .. who would pay this sort of money to replace a unit when you can get a unit to do so much more for around $700 -$1000.

Comment

• keenkean
                              • Jan 2016
                              • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by executive View Post
                              Thanks Starjunk , i like the fact that you can drive this unit by voice and dont need to use the keyboard or buttons much. Even the navigation is fully voice driven . But this does come at a cost , data plan off your mobile !!!. I dont suspect this data usage be high though.

The other feature is mirroring , where i have Hema maps on my Android phone and can mirror this on the Kenwood and it looks great.

I will look at selling my MMC unit soon as i will not be putting it back in the car. I did check with Mitsubishi to see how much is a replacement mmc just a matter of interest and couldn't believe what I heard ... $5000 .. who would pay this sort of money to replace a unit when you can get a unit to do so much more for around $700 -$1000.
                              Thanks for sharing your install. I'm interested in the DDX917WS unit as well. I have a 2014 NX Exceed (pre-current Mitsubishi MMCS with android/apple screen). My MMCS sat nav thing I find pointless. The only feature we use is the bluetooth. Navigation is painful and it has no phone integration. Could I ask: Did you end up buying a cable loom to help with the installation? Do you have rockford audio in your car? I'm hoping to retain use of the existing rockford system.

I'm keen to sell off the existing unit once the install is complete. It looks like I can pick up the DDX917WS for about $820, could I ask what you got yours for?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X