X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDNpajero
    • Dec 2019
    • Wyoming Ontario Canada

About ready to pull my hair out here....same thing, disconnect battery- runs fine for a minute, then misfire and shake. Could I have got bad speed sensors? Is it the temp sensor? Bad pump calibration? Its certainly better after I advanced it....but not at idle!

Comment

• CDNpajero
      • Dec 2019
      • Wyoming Ontario Canada

I wonder if the temp sensor has something to do with it?? While it was running at idle and warm(shuttering and missing), I unplugged the temp sensor and it evened out for a minute or so and ran smooth. I read somewhere that the ECU uses a different map on startup as opposed to warmup. I'm going to take the temp sensor out and test it.

Comment

• CDNpajero
        • Dec 2019
        • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Remember I said once that when I was messing with the temp sensor and the knock went away??? Well I was cleaning and checking wiring while the engine was running...I touched the wiring for the temp sensor and the throttle butterfly slammed shut and killed the motor. So I took a closer look and found some frayed/damaged wiring to the temp sensor near some factory tape. I went to take the brittle tape off and the frayed wires that were wrapped around each other fell apart in my hands. I'm not 100% sure that this is my issue, but it's a start. Seems odd that it ran fine the one time I was messing with the temp sensor and its connections. I'll rig it up temporary tomorrow and see what happens. I noticed on Ebay I can buy a new wire loom for the pump. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Hopefully you will get it sorted soon. Been a big exercise so far. Good luck.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• CDNpajero
            • Dec 2019
            • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Thanks! I hope so!
            It certainly has consumed more of my time and dwindling patience than I had ever planned on.
            I hope this is it.

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Really hope that's your problem. Been following along with this thread, but have had no wisdom to offer to you

Comment

• El_Freddo
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2018
                • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                Really hope that's your problem. Been following along with this thread, but have had no wisdom to offer to you
                Likewise!

I’m with others like disco stu, hoping it’s the end of your issues!

Cheers

Bennie
                2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• CDNpajero
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Thanks fellas!

Comment

• CDNpajero
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Update**

Jumped wires for the coolant temp sensor...no change.

The knock comes from cylinder #4....I cracked all the fuel pipes one by one and the knock virtually went away at cylinder #4.
                    Heres the part that scares me...I swapped injector #2 and #4(they are all new injectors)...and the same thing again. Knock on cylinder #4.
                    Ugh...I'm afraid it's more serious now.
                    But the strange thing is still...disconnect and reconnect the battery, and it runs smooth for a minute until the knock returns. Could it be my reman injector pump??

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

Do these engines have oxygen sensor? Have you checked temp sensor for the ecu? Have you checked fault codes?

I know I'm throwing basic ideas out there and I'm guessing you've checked these. It just sounds like the ecu is getting bad info somehow that it is using to adjust the fueling to incorrect

Comment

• CDNpajero
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Do these engines have oxygen sensor? Have you checked temp sensor for the ecu? Have you checked fault codes?

I know I'm throwing basic ideas out there and I'm guessing you've checked these. It just sounds like the ecu is getting bad info somehow that it is using to adjust the fueling to incorrect
                        I do appreciate any ideas thanks!

I'm not sure actually if it has an O2 sensor(s).
                        The temp sensor for the ECU is the one that had the broken wires at the plug ...the sensor itself seems to test ok.
                        When the battery is reconnected, the CEL does a continuous falsh, ei.- no stored codes....this is due to the memory being cleared and not enough operating time to store any codes.

Comment

• CDNpajero
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Again...here is a video of what it sounds like.

The intermittent part is what leads me to believe that its NOT a major mechanical engine problem...but at this point, I just don't know anymore.

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Originally posted by CDNpajero View Post
                            I do appreciate any ideas thanks!

I'm not sure actually if it has an O2 sensor(s).
                            The temp sensor for the ECU is the one that had the broken wires at the plug ...the sensor itself seems to test ok.
                            When the battery is reconnected, the CEL does a continuous falsh, ei.- no stored codes....this is due to the memory being cleared and not enough operating time to store any codes.
                            I must have misunderstood you earlier, I thought you said the temp sensor was in the fuel pump itself. I haven't played with diesel so just assumed there must have been an ecu temp sensor in coolant and another in the pump

Even though check engine light isn't on, have you still checked for codes? I've had issues before with other cars where a code is logged but no check engine light. Is the Canadian model obd2 compliant? Makes it easy if so, but there is the obd port bridging method to get codes if not (just in case you weren't aware)

Hoping someone else can chime in if these have the O2 sensors. Have you jumped underneath to have a look on the exhaust?

It sounds great in that video.....at times

Must be fair frustrating

Comment

• CDNpajero
                              • Dec 2019
                              • Wyoming Ontario Canada

I must have misunderstood you earlier, I thought you said the temp sensor was in the fuel pump itself. I haven't played with diesel so just assumed there must have been an ecu temp sensor in coolant and another in the pump

Even though check engine light isn't on, have you still checked for codes? I've had issues before with other cars where a code is logged but no check engine light. Is the Canadian model obd2 compliant? Makes it easy if so, but there is the obd port bridging method to get codes if not (just in case you weren't aware)

Hoping someone else can chime in if these have the O2 sensors. Have you jumped underneath to have a look on the exhaust?

It sounds great in that video.....at times

Must be fair frustrating

The temp sensor is in the head near the coolant neck.
                              This is a German import...diesel Pajero's were never available in Canada...only gasoline Monteros.
                              The only way to get codes is the jumper wire trick.
                              I looked around quick and I didnt see any O2 sensors.

Comment

• disco stu
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2018
                                • Wollongong

Just another idea then, seeing there isn't many flowing: do these have a fuel pump in tank to feed the injector pump? Just wondering if it's starving slightly for fuel at times and that shows up in fuel feed to number 4, but it's not enough to shoot engine down.

I'm guessing if that was the case it would cause more or further issues once it's being revved seeing fuel flow would be higher

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X