• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liam75
    • Dec 2018
    • Goongong

Pajero fuel limit question.

So this might seem a stupid question but here goes.
    Why is it, i never seem to be able to fill my tank to the factory set amount?
    So the my pajero is suppose to be a 88litre tank but I've probably never been able to fill more than 80 litres at the pump.

As i said probably a silly question but keen to know why that is.

Thanks
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Probably because you haven't rub it dry.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

As mentioned, it will still have some fuel in the tank - I think about 82 litres is the most I have ever been able to add. Note it is not good for the car to run it dry.

As the tank is quite long & flat, it can make a difference if the car is not level when filling - nose down gets more in & tail down gets less in (as the filler is near the back of the tank).
      Only try to get more in if you are going to drive some distance immediately, as some room should be left for the fuel to expand when hot.

Also, when filling, you may need to pause when it first clicks off to let the foam settle - this is less of an issue if using premium diesel which has anti foaming additives.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pauno
        • Dec 2012
        • Newcastle

The level of the car is the main issue. I have found most servo’s lean downhill, I have had some where I have got a measly 70l in an empty tank.
        NW Exceed

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Originally posted by Pauno View Post
          The level of the car is the main issue. I have found most servo’s lean downhill, I have had some where I have got a measly 70l in an empty tank.
          What the heck?
          Surely uphill or downhill would depend on which way you pull into the driveway area?
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

As others have said there is always fuel left in the tank and system so you can't put in the maximum. On my swb the tank is 69 litres most I've got in is 62 litres when I was really low on fuel. That said I normally fill up when the fuel light comes on, which on average is around 58 to 60 litres.

It's been the same on evry vehicle I've owned.
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Pauno
              • Dec 2012
              • Newcastle

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
              What the heck?
              Surely uphill or downhill would depend on which way you pull into the driveway area?
              In the Newcastle area is seems most servos have concrete which falls backward as you look towards the shop part. I guess they design them so any spills go into a certain drain. The majority you can only pull into from 1 side of the road due to dividers.
              The Pajero seems very sensitive to slope when filling. I have never owned a car that has done it before. Even the slightest fall seems to have an impact.
              NW Exceed

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

I have found when filling my NW that with a normal pump nozzle, the diesel gurgles up the filler tube and cuts the nozzle off relatively early - I can normally get at least another 5 litres in after the first click. If I use a fast fill nozzle, initially the nozzle may shut off once or twice at the start, but it then really goes fast and when it is full it is normally only one more click and the tank is then full - virtually to the neck. My preference use a fast fill nozzle every time.

Comment

• 2bad4u
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Perth, Western Australia

You're being ripped off at the servo, I can get 128L
                  Warren
                  2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                  2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
                    You're being ripped off at the servo, I can get 128L
                    160+ But I'm cheating even more.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• 2bad4u
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      160+ But I'm cheating even more.
                      You only get that because you park downhill.
                      Warren
                      2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                      2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Axis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Highett Vic

Originally posted by Liam75 View Post
                        So this might seem a stupid question but here goes.
                        Why is it, i never seem to be able to fill my tank to the factory set amount?
                        So the my pajero is suppose to be a 88litre tank but I've probably never been able to fill more than 80 litres at the pump.

As i said probably a silly question but keen to know why that is.

Thanks

My wife has squeezed 85L in a few times. I grumble at her for letting it get that low but I am the only one who has run out out of diesel (once).
                        07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Seigried
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2016
                          • brisbane

Wow ive managed to put just over 88 in both of mine. But that pushing it and waiting between clicks to let the diesel settle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X