• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWB ANDY
    • Dec 2011
    • melbourne

diesel fuel tank size

the fuel tank on my jdm swb 94 nj (i think) 2.8td when down to about between half and quarter of a tank (more to the quarter) usually takes approx 40 litres to fill, i was under the impression that these had a 75 litre tank, if that is true then i still have approx 1/2 tank of fuel left and not a quarter, if that is the case then i would have to say my fuel gauge is faulty,
    fuel economy is around 250/300 km to the 40 litres(approx13l/100km)this is in stop start traffic, how does this compare to other 4m40t pajeros around.
    thanks folks
    1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS
  • Dancarder
    • Dec 2011
    • Brisbane

i have a lwb 2.8td manual, and I get 11.2L/100km, no mods.

yours is lighter than mine so should be getting better economy!!

have you had the injectors replaced yet? how many kays has your paj done.

Dan..

Comment

• McChicken
      • Oct 2011
      • Camden NSW

Hi,

I too have a 2.8 Manual LWB (NK though). I get 9.8 - 10.5L/100. My tank i think is 94L but i have only recently purchased so slowly susing it out.

The gauge may be the issue, mine stays well above half a tank for 500kms then plummets to 1/8th over the next 250kms.

-Dean
      Formally: (Before it cracked a head AGAIN )
      1996 NK LWB 2.8 TDi GLX
      With: Bull Bar, Disabled Super Select, Winch, 2.5" Straight through Exhaust, 31x10.5x15 Maxxis Bravos, UHF, Lightforce 240 Blitz

Comment

• SWB ANDY
        • Dec 2011
        • melbourne

it has not long had the pump recond and there is no smoke at all out of the exhaust, which as far as i know means that the injectors are clean, but since having the pump done it does not seem to have the same get up and go it had before????, but it did used to smoke a little mainly when using my right foot????, it is mainly driven by my son and he works approx 10-15km from home so i realise that this will not help the fuel economy, may just get it put on a rolling road and get it tuned just a bit unsure if this would help, limited diesel knowledge but learning quickly.
        1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

• Dancarder
          • Dec 2011
          • Brisbane

also how much boost is it running?? have you put a boost gauge on it?
          could have a boost leak or the actuator hose could be blocked(partially) causing low/no boost!! I replaced these hoses (turbo to actuator & turbo to fuel pump) after doing the rocker cover valve clean and it made a noticable difference to the way the paj drove (less throttle & lower gears for the same peice of road!)

SOMEthing must be not quite right for it to be getting 14L/100km...thats petrol territory!! lol

Comment

• SWB ANDY
            • Dec 2011
            • melbourne

dancarder
            the pajero has done approx 315000ks but had a new engine dropped in at approx 175000ks, where would be the best place to pick up a boost gauge, can you use one for a petrol vehicle or are they different for a diesel, if i get chance will have a look at the pipe work over the weekend, also noticed that even though there is little or no smoke coming out the exhaust, the exhaust is sooty on the inside which as far as i know this should not be the case as if it is running right the exhaust should be cleanish but not sooty.

Comment

• McChicken
              • Oct 2011
              • Camden NSW

Boost guages are the same regardles of fuel type. Most will come with a T connector and necessary hoses. The T-piece is connected in the hose that actuates the waste-gate and then connects to the back of the guage.
              Formally: (Before it cracked a head AGAIN )
              1996 NK LWB 2.8 TDi GLX
              With: Bull Bar, Disabled Super Select, Winch, 2.5" Straight through Exhaust, 31x10.5x15 Maxxis Bravos, UHF, Lightforce 240 Blitz

Comment

• Dancarder
                • Dec 2011
                • Brisbane

SWB Andy ^^^^^^ what mcchicken said re boost guages...boost is boost..doesnt matter what engine type you have!!

really sooty exhaust and black smoke usually means your injectors need replacing!
                no boost would give a similar result!!

Dan.

Comment

• SWB ANDY
                  • Dec 2011
                  • melbourne

checked all the pipes and they are fine,,, fitted a boost gauge and everything is fine, boosting at 10psi at 3000rpm, spoke to a diesel tuner today and he reckons it is not getting enough fuel, so will be booking it in for a tune in the next couple of days so hopefully will be at better consumption,,,,hopefully

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X