• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amec
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Wamberal

Injector lifespan

Just interested to see from real life experience what the service life would be for the diesel injectors for a PB/PC.
    I run a ryco pre-filter and change both filters every 15k km's for some extra protection.
    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I use premium diesel when ever I can but most times when travelling remote I have to settle for what ever diesel is available. I do notice the difference in the sound of the engine and fuel economy when not using premium diesel.

Also I have read that running the tank fuel level down to the fuel low light comes ON means the remaining diesel gets very hot as it is continually recycled from the HP pump to the tank then back to the HP pump. As the fuel temp increases apparently the lubrication qualities decrease and this can cause accelerated injector and pump wear.
    Even running below a 1/4 of a tank for extended period when there are high ambient temperatures should be avoided if possible. The engine has a fuel temperature sensor which signals the engine ECU to compensate for fuel temperature, it may reduce engine output ?????

I have been considering starting to use "CEM Fuel Enhancer for CRD Engines" now that my engine is almost at 160,000kms and out of warranty. It seems to have a strong following with no negative reports.
    The most effective fuel additive for common rail diesels   1 small bottle treats 2000L of diesel. (10ml treats 80L) Diesel injector cleaner Save on expensive injector & pump costs Eliminates or minimises injector rattle Protection against contaminated diesel Boosts diesel lubricity Anti-corrosion protection for pumps and injectors DPF Compatible Restores power & economy FREE Shipping 

What's is there to lose?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2019
      • Victoria

In 6 years working for Metro Dealer I have only seen 3 or 4 MN or PB that have required injectors. I dont see it as a common problem.

The biggest unknown factor I believe is cause by Motors that have been Misfuelled (petrol) and driven. This destroys the pumps eventually, which causes the injector issues.

And no one is going to own up to misfuelling, or maybe it was a previous owner that did it.
      2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

I've used Chemtec diesel conditioner and cleaner for years and years. I'm not a snake oil kind of guy but this stuff works. Very noticeable in the PC when you are running it and when you're not. The only other one that was as good or better was the Toyota diesel injector cleaner, it was awesome but crystalized very quickly in the can once opened. They stopped selling it in the early 90s.
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          I use premium diesel when ever I can but most times when travelling remote I have to settle for what ever diesel is available. I do notice the difference in the sound of the engine and fuel economy when not using premium diesel.

Also I have read that running the tank fuel level down to the fuel low light comes ON means the remaining diesel gets very hot as it is continually recycled from the HP pump to the tank then back to the HP pump. As the fuel temp increases apparently the lubrication qualities decrease and this can cause accelerated injector and pump wear.
          Even running below a 1/4 of a tank for extended period when there are high ambient temperatures should be avoided if possible. The engine has a fuel temperature sensor which signals the engine ECU to compensate for fuel temperature, it may reduce engine output ?????

I have been considering starting to use "CEM Fuel Enhancer for CRD Engines" now that my engine is almost at 160,000kms and out of warranty. It seems to have a strong following with no negative reports.
          The most effective fuel additive for common rail diesels   1 small bottle treats 2000L of diesel. (10ml treats 80L) Diesel injector cleaner Save on expensive injector & pump costs Eliminates or minimises injector rattle Protection against contaminated diesel Boosts diesel lubricity Anti-corrosion protection for pumps and injectors DPF Compatible Restores power & economy FREE Shipping 

What's is there to lose?

OJ.

I was using the chemtec stuff for a few years but noticed absolutely no difference in the Paj. 10ml per 80litres equals a ratio of 1:8000. Very miniscule in the scheme of things. I still put some 2 stroke oil in every now and again (200:1) as I have been doing for several decades now ....
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ozzyal
            • Sep 2017
            • Rushworth

I've been using Chemtech in my cars for over a decade .I believe its helped keep my older cars injection systems in good condition and improve economy .
            I do still use it with my PB , but I don't notice any difference in performance or economy .
            I think purely for longevity of the system it has value in keeping the seals pliable and system clean .
            I think the old Delica with close to 500k without issues proved its worthwhile , my PB has recently tripped 200k and is running well .
            At 1ml per litre , it's cheap enough to run for peace of mind , but if miss adding it for a fill or two I don't stress .

Comment

• picard
              Valued Member
              • May 2011
              • wollongong

I’ve heard of people using a small amount of mineral 2 stroke oil as lubricant apparently it’s beneficial for denso fuel systems, has anyone heard of this ?
              mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• PeePee
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2012
                • Brisbane

I replaced the injectors at the last service, was expensive. I see it as preventive maintenance.
                MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by PeePee View Post
                  I replaced the injectors at the last service, was expensive. I see it as preventive maintenance.
                  At how many kms?

Injectors ? Injector lines? or both?

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by PeePee View Post

I,ve been doing it for many years. 2 stroke oil is actually far better than diesel as a fuel...just too expensive.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• itsamitsi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Hervey Bay Queensland

After my IP having a monumental failure in my Landcruiser I was using 2 stroke in that. It keeps it well lubed as it rarely got used. Did it help it or not I don't know as I sold it after 50K.
                      Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• PeePee
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        At how many kms?

Injectors ? Injector lines? or both?

OJ.
                        82,000 OJ, I think it was just the injectors. Will have to check the invoice to be sure.
                        MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X