• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevefisho
    • Sep 2019
    • Boronia

60k Service

Well my 2015 (New 2017 first registered) is heading for it's 60k (55k actually) service.
    Usual re-learning stuff and fluid change.
    Finally I'm getting the side steps either restored or replaced due to inherent surface rust that I'm sure every owner has been stuck with.
    But this time the service booking guy had no hesitation when he asked me about any issues that I may have and all got out was "side steps".
    Rust he jumped in and gave me an assurance that MMA was aware and will rectify ASAP.
    Rear brakes and disc machining was done at 45k although I did ark up back then that that machining at 45k seemed too soon.
    Anyway they got done and this trip I mentioned that a notation should be on the service history to give the front a spruce up. (pads and machining)
    I'm always twitchy when hubs are removed that bearings are not adequately seated when replaced.
    My Triton lasted a week after machining before a hot left front had me ranting back to the dealer.
    Hears hoping all goes well as my annual 4 week trek of Tasmania catching up with the my Son,Daughter in law, grand kids and my good mates is only a month away.
    Cheer guys
    Steve.
    2015 Challenger LS auto. Grey. First reg 2017. traded up from a 2013 Triton GLXR. 265/65 R17 General Grabber on factory alloys.Twin roof top Solar, Piranha quad battery system (1 crank + 3 aux = 500 amps) 2000/4000 inverter, 70 ltr Ever-cool fridge freezer,Microwave, electric kettle, Light force 210's with extra pair of 180's should my ego take over, GME UHF.. Future additions 14000lb winch and 40mm suspension,23ZERO awning, light weight alloy wheels. Town car is a 2.2 Diesel ASX AWD
  • Giddyup
    • Oct 2013
    • Melbourne

Not sure why the brakes are being touched at all. If the pad has more than 3mm of material they don't need to be changed. And you should be getting 100 000km from a set of rear pads.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off. Did they actually change the pads? Or just charge you for changing the pads?
    MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• KevL
      • May 2015
      • Murphys Creek

And no machining.
      Just a ploy to ensure they’ll need replacing next time. A con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• stevefisho
        • Sep 2019
        • Boronia

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
        Not sure why the brakes are being touched at all. If the pad has more than 3mm of material they don't need to be changed. And you should be getting 100 000km from a set of rear pads.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off. Did they actually change the pads? Or just charge you for changing the pads?
        Oh yeah Giddyup they machined the discs (rear) and changed pads at 45k. A bit under 45k too. And yes I arched up too.
        One particular behind the desk service whatever has had attitude since the day I picked up the car. To the point were I refuse to talk to him and actually put up my hand palm first when he tries to interrupt a conversation with another guys checking in or out the car.
        'All started when he mouthed off at the missus over her ASX chopping out tyres at 25k.
        Full brakes and machining at 45k

Accused her of curb bashing. Funny that as we went independent for a wheel alignment and new tyres and it's ticking over 80k with only a rotation and alignment check..for free mind you.

Said on last report that front needed or were about 50% at next service. Well this is the next service 5k under scheduled. I took a look at the front and can't see any pad although they are hard to see without removing a wheel. .
        Rears around 8mm.

Thanks for the comment Giddyup..It makes you think back and remember just what was said and why we ship out of dealership servicing for independents.

Regards.
        2015 Challenger LS auto. Grey. First reg 2017. traded up from a 2013 Triton GLXR. 265/65 R17 General Grabber on factory alloys.Twin roof top Solar, Piranha quad battery system (1 crank + 3 aux = 500 amps) 2000/4000 inverter, 70 ltr Ever-cool fridge freezer,Microwave, electric kettle, Light force 210's with extra pair of 180's should my ego take over, GME UHF.. Future additions 14000lb winch and 40mm suspension,23ZERO awning, light weight alloy wheels. Town car is a 2.2 Diesel ASX AWD

Comment

• amec
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Wamberal

The stealers told me my brakes needed replacing and discs machined at 45k. There was still some meat on them but they would not have gone another 15k.to the next service.
          They were also adament the discs needed maching. I changed the pads myself, brakes wore out again at approx 90k.
          Car now at 107k and the discs have not yet been machined.
          PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• itsamitsi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Hervey Bay Queensland

I changed all my OEM pads at 92K. They still had at least another 10-15K in them. What's the deal with them flogging out at 45K?
            Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• KevL
              • May 2015
              • Murphys Creek

60k Service

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
              I changed all my OEM pads at 92K. They still had at least another 10-15K in them. What's the deal with them flogging out at 45K?

A lot depends on where you’re driving. Lots of city driving wears out brakes a lot quicker than doing big highway miles.

I changed my fronts at about 110k, rears 120k. Discs are like new.

Comment

Originally posted by stevefisho View Post
                Well my 2015 (New 2017 first registered) is heading for it's 60k (55k actually) service.
                Usual re-learning stuff and fluid change.
                Finally I'm getting the side steps either restored or replaced due to inherent surface rust that I'm sure every owner has been stuck with.
                But this time the service booking guy had no hesitation when he asked me about any issues that I may have and all got out was "side steps".
                Rust he jumped in and gave me an assurance that MMA was aware and will rectify ASAP.
                Rear brakes and disc machining was done at 45k although I did ark up back then that that machining at 45k seemed too soon.
                Anyway they got done and this trip I mentioned that a notation should be on the service history to give the front a spruce up. (pads and machining)
                I'm always twitchy when hubs are removed that bearings are not adequately seated when replaced.
                My Triton lasted a week after machining before a hot left front had me ranting back to the dealer.
                Hears hoping all goes well as my annual 4 week trek of Tasmania catching up with the my Son,Daughter in law, grand kids and my good mates is only a month away.
                Cheer guys
                Steve.
                I had my side steps replaced early this year for rust on them. MMA dealer said they were common to replace them.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

Comment

• KevL
                  • May 2015
                  • Murphys Creek

Originally posted by fajer View Post
                  I had my side steps replaced early this year for rust on them. MMA dealer said they were common to replace them.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

Mine as well, no argument.
                  Actually, despite the paperwork i was given saying they replaced the entire side steps, only the black steel sheet that rusts was replaced. The rest remained original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Giddyup
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Melbourne

It's the usual mechanic rip-off... Gee these pads have 'only' got 50% left, we better change them so we can profit. May as well rebuild the engine at 200km because it's half way to needing a rebuild.

At 45km they would have been around half worn.

To me half worn means there's at least another 40km before they need to be changed.

I've got 160 000km on mine changed pads once and disks have never been touched. Brakes work the same as they did when the car was new.
                    MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• amec
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Wamberal

Short trips. I live only a few km from work probably adds to the brake wear. Not too much in the way of hwy km.
                      PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• stevefisho
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Boronia

Thanks to you guys for leading me in the right direction.

Not fussed if the front pads get changed out but will not be getting or allowing them to machine the discs.

Already been quoted and extra $425 on top of my 'capped price' 60k service.A

With that saving I may just go out and get an engineering shop to fit up the winch bar (previous posting) and get it 'cut and shunted' the right way.

Have stuck with this dealer for a few years now as a family we have purchased (4) New cars from them.
                        Daughters 2012 Lancer petrol (now traded for a ix35 highlander) Missus's 2014 diesel ASX auto awd, 2013 Triton auto GLXR ( actually exchanged plus on road costs for the current Challenger)
                        So 'you would think' that since 2012 with roughly around $150k worth of 'New Car' sales and servicing some sort of honesty between MMA Dealership and customer would strengthen.

Nah.......all bottom line, KPI's and lip service.

The ASX is out of warranty by 'time' (80k)( neglected to mention that it got brakes and discs machine as recommended by the 'techs' at you guessed it 45k with the Missus at work and me away with work)

Now goes to a great bloke around the corner at Goodyear.

You al might think 'why''why' don't this bloke just p... em off and go outside well I'm paranoid with warranties.
                        I don't want it to go 'BANG'.

As a side note so as to give insight to my paranoia. It started when I picked up the Triton with only 18 kilometers on the clock. Drove it home approx 9 kilometers.
                        Parked in the drive, went in and put the kettle on them came out and did the 'old stand back and admire' the new wheels and nearly had a heart event.
                        A patch of diesel under the front about 3 meters round was there.
                        The engine bay was flooded in diesel. quick call to the dealer with assurance that it was safe to drive back and they had an idea what was going on.
                        Yes they did and it turns out that on particular time dent 'robot'# 435.........75.. whatever has a link error and doesn't tighten #1 and #2 injectors against the seals allowing injectors to rotate at an unknown time dent allowing high pressure fuel to flood past loose and twisted seals.
                        Fixed within a day and the engine bay was in 'mint new condition' without and this continued while I owned it any sign of staining or weeping from hidden areas flooded with fuel. (2 years and 45K of hard heavy towing)

OK enough now so will see if the steps get attention and I have another stoush with Vince.

Regards
                        Steve

Comment

• stevefisho
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Boronia

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
                          It's the usual mechanic rip-off... Gee these pads have 'only' got 50% left, we better change them so we can profit. May as well rebuild the engine at 200km because it's half way to needing a rebuild.

At 45km they would have been around half worn.

To me half worn means there's at least another 40km before they need to be changed.

I've got 160 000km on mine changed pads once and disks have never been touched. Brakes work the same as they did when the car was new.

Well Giddyup on dropping the car off I stipulated that on advise the front discs won't be machined. Also mentioned that on last 45k service it was recommended that front pads be changed out.
                          Surprise surprise!! Front pads not changed and I quote.."Still at least 35-45k left on them".
                          "How are the back I asked. Knowing the answer.. "hardly worn at all"!!
                          Anyway all other service stuff, wiper blades, changed rear diff oil, brake fluid, coolant ,pollen filter (It does smell better with out the mould) and fuel system flush.
                          Small amount of learning on the putor, tyre rotation and warranty replacement of the side steps (ordered for sometime soon).

Even got a wash and front cabin clean.
                          Anyway this time I was much happier..No recalls, a couple of globes replaced and the rear body taillights fault repaired once and for all. (this was a false indication of blown globes that has pissed me off no end..Thinking I was putting dodgy globes when in fact both connections were loose)

Saved the day mentioning my displeasure on the site and thanks for heading me straight.
                          Thanks again

Steve.

Comment

• whereswes
                            • Feb 2015
                            • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by KevL View Post
                            A lot depends on where you’re driving. Lots of city driving wears out brakes a lot quicker than doing big highway miles.

I changed my fronts at about 110k, rears 120k. Discs are like new.

Agreed, changed out both front and rear at ~50,000 kms but do heaps of low speed city driving.

Same with tires. I'll probably scrape 70,000kms out of my ST Maxxs but my mate changed at 110,000 on his Prado, driving straight lines from Melbourne to Geelong most work days.

Cheers
                            Wes
                            2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X