• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

leaking auxiliary fuel tank

I have a problem with my LRA 81L auxiliary diesel fuel tank.

There is a leak somewhere that started recently. The shop that installed it (about 12 months ago) has had a few goes at fixing it. They have found a loose hose connection and also, when they subjected the almost empty tank/hoses to a pressure test, found a tiny hole in another hose. They replaced all hoses and gaskets. So I went home feeling pleased. Until... I went to the service station and filled both tanks. Got home, parked the Paj on a slight incline nose up. Immediately, diesel began to drip out the back of the Paj from the TOP surface of the LRA tank. Of course that surface is almost flush up against the underside of what would be the 3rd row seat well, so I can't see what's going on. I suppose if I hadn't parked on an incline the leaking fuel might just have pooled on top of the tank, or perhaps run over one of the other sides. The system pumps OK, I can't see any leaking from the filler hose itself. So, what's on the top of the tank (that I have never seen, since I didn't install it) that might be leaking? I don't think I overfilled the tank, but maybe I did . If I did, is there an overflow valve or something on the top of the tank that might explain this leak?

I will be taking the Paj back to the shop tomorrow, 3rd time in a week and you can be sure that this time I will be breathing down the mechanic's neck to see what's going on. But perhaps someone here with a LRA tank who has installed it themselves will know more about the construction and shed light on what's going on, so I can go in better informed. Thanks in advance.

Phil
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

I have a leak in my long ranger aux that I have to get rectified. It is a welded seam that doesn't seal and will be a right PITA to get sorted. For that reason alone, I wouldn't buy long ranger again.

In regards to your issue, Really the only way to see what's going on if its at the top (like mine), is to drop the tank. The LRA is a piece of pie to drop. Get the installer to do so and thoroughly check all welded seams. The leak should be fairly evident.

If you have over filled it, the fuel just sits up in the pipe from the filler. It shouldn't leak from the tank, hoses or fittings, regardless of how much fuel is in there.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

"If you have over filled it, the fuel just sits up in the pipe from the filler. It shouldn't leak from the tank, hoses or fittings, regardless of how much fuel is in there."

Thanks Shane, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

The shop has lowered the thing twice (tomorrow, maybe third time lucky ) . Maybe there is a hairline fracture they haven't seen yet. PITA, all right. I should be touring around Glenleg National Park and SW Victoria right now.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

Maybe since lowering it multiple times they missed tightening the connection of a hose. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
          Maybe since lowering it multiple times they missed tightening the connection of a hose. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
          I would hope so too.
          I've attached a pic of what the tank looks like when removed, after I had mine out a couple of weeks ago to change the fuel quantity sender.
          Hopefully you just have a leak from one of the unions / hoses.
          Cheers, Dan.
          Attached Files
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

Thanks guys. Dan, that pic is really useful.

Comment

• Pwoffey
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Adelaide

Well, third time "lucky". The guys at the local 4WD shop have finally found a small fracture in the tank (X marks the spot on a copy of Dan's pic). They contacted LRA who said that this was only the second time they have seen a fracture in one of their tanks on a NM-or-later Paj. The first was due to some trauma to the tank. I can't remember anything like that happening to my tank, so who knows . Anyway, the aux tank is off, being couriered over to LRA in Melbourne. The local guys say they will be able to put it back on early next week, presumably after LRA have done some welding. As long as LRA don't find I have tried to drive over a pile of star pickets or attacked the tank with Viking battle axe, it will all be done under warranty. Thanks again to all on the Forum.
              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X