• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMK
    • Jul 2012
    • Sunbury

How much oil is too much ?

Hi All
    While doing a service on my NT I got distracted & overfilled the engine with oil.
    It's about 5mm over the full indicator on the dipstick After sitting overnight. Never done it before but there's always a first time !
    Now before I go to the trouble of draining some off I would like to hear some opinions on whether that would be considered too much or not.
    Or do I just leave it ?
    I don't usually see any oil use between services so it's not going to go down by itself over a bit of use.
    Looking to hear from others that might have done similar .....
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
    SOLD - 2010 NT Pajero DiD Activ Mica Black - Safari Snorkel,T/Dog - 50mm Lovells rear, f/stone airbags, 50mm bilst/lov front. Ctek D250S. L/force 170's, Teko P3, C/Barrier, B/stone D697LT, GME TX4400, UltraGuage. ARB Sahara Bar. Bushskinz i/c, sump guards. Provent 200 & SPVi Mod. & d/son secondary fuel filter.

Check out my Photo Bucket;
    http://s268.beta.photobucket.com/use...60064201786735
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Only 5mm over when cold overnight shouldn't be a problem.

In fact, the oil level should be checked on level ground about 5 or 10 minutes after switching off a warm engine, so I would think it will be about right if you check it then.

I would not try to drain any.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Yep, 5mm over won't cause any issues.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Rovingman
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2014
        • Blue mountains

It will just come out the overflow valve behind the front right guard, i noticed that after the last service as mechanic did just that.
        Pajero NT RX 2011
        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• _jp_
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Adelaide Hills, SA

I believe there is also an "X" on the dipstick further up. Some of the earlier models used to dilute the engine oil with diesel through DPF burns causing the oil level in the sump to increase. The service manual states it needs to stay below the "X" so 5mm above the "Maximum" mark should be fine as its still miles below the "X".
          Attached Files
          Last edited by _jp_; 09-06-15, 05:13 PM. Reason: added attachment
          NW GLXR - SOLD
          --------------
          EVO 6 TME

Comment

• DaveH
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • sydney

In services by my local dealer they often overfill with oil. I think they tip the full contents of 2x 5litre container in without thinking. I can recall having 5mm overfill from the them ( ie the dealer) so you should be fine.
            2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• PMK
              • Jul 2012
              • Sunbury

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
              Only 5mm over when cold overnight shouldn't be a problem.

In fact, the oil level should be checked on level ground about 5 or 10 minutes after switching off a warm engine, so I would think it will be about right if you check it then.

I would not try to drain any.
              Thanks,
              Normally would check the oil shortly after switching off the engine but on this occasion I checked it after it had been sitting overnight.
              On previous changes it would only be at the high mark after an overnight rest.
              I must have put more in then normal but as per the other responses it's probably nothing to worry about
              Thanks for your reply
              Cheers
              SOLD - 2010 NT Pajero DiD Activ Mica Black - Safari Snorkel,T/Dog - 50mm Lovells rear, f/stone airbags, 50mm bilst/lov front. Ctek D250S. L/force 170's, Teko P3, C/Barrier, B/stone D697LT, GME TX4400, UltraGuage. ARB Sahara Bar. Bushskinz i/c, sump guards. Provent 200 & SPVi Mod. & d/son secondary fuel filter.

Comment

• PMK
                • Jul 2012
                • Sunbury

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
                It will just come out the overflow valve behind the front right guard, i noticed that after the last service as mechanic did just that.
                Interesting, Never heard of this. Will have a look now.
                But thanks for the info

Comment

• PMK
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Sunbury

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
                  I believe there is also an "X" on the dipstick further up. Some of the earlier models used to dilute the engine oil with diesel through DPF burns causing the oil level in the sump to increase. The service manual states it needs to stay below the "X" so 5mm above the "Maximum" mark should be fine as its still miles below the "X".
                  Must have changed with the NT. As I have no DPF I guess there's no need of the X mark. But it does mean that the level could be a lot higher than the maximum mark without any problems.
                  I guess the reason for the need of an oil change on the models with the X is because at that stage it would dilute the engine oil to a point where it would become a problem ?
                  Thanks for the info though..... Never stop learning
                  Cheers

Comment

• PMK
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Sunbury

To all others that replied
                    Thanks for your comments, Looks like I'm worrying about nothing.
                    It's just that I am usually very careful not to overfill. Must be a throw back to when I used to own a Nissan ZD30 !!
                    Cheers to all

Comment

• Rovingman
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2014
                      • Blue mountains

Originally posted by PMK View Post
                      To all others that replied
                      Thanks for your comments, Looks like I'm worrying about nothing.
                      It's just that I am usually very careful not to overfill. Must be a throw back to when I used to own a Nissan ZD30 !!
                      Cheers to all
                      Nothing now you know but when you don't its worrying sometimes, don't be shy to ask questions that's what the forums about mate.
                      No one is forced to answer anything.
                      Pajero NT RX 2011
                      Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                      LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• wanderay
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Richmond NSW

I put 10 litres in and it promptly leaked out the rocker cover injector seals, over the next 10,000 k's it was a real pain. Cost several hundred dollars to replace all seals and get the tappets checked at the same time

5mm should be fine though.

Ray
                        NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

• DaveH
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • sydney

40 years ago I used this old mechanics trick to get out of trouble.

If a main or big end bearing becomes noisy when away from home on a trip an extra 5 Litres of oil in the sump. The bearings should be swimming in oil. Don't rev the motor ie keep revs down. Lasts about 500 miles till the bearing really become noisy. Given the engine is stuffed before you start the any damage from this much oil doesn't matter.

My moral is if an engine will go with this much extra oil just a little bit extra is of no consequence.
                          2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• Allan2
                            • May 2013
                            • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Over filling to a point where the main and big end bearings are submerged in oil with a diesel engine will cause the oil to leak out anywhere it can with a reduction in performance. A diesel engine has larger engine componments due to the higher compression ratio and their sump pressures are higher due to the larger rotating and moving masses and piston ring blowby.
                            Be carefull with over filling, as mentioned above 1 liter overfull caused the rocker cover seals to leak however over 5mm would be fine.
                            Regards Allan.
                            2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

Ah FFS, a mechanic (a new one that I visited for first time this week, with 5 star reviews) put all 10L of the oil I supplied in, and it’s pretty much at the X mark. Looks like I’ll be draining some this arvo. Guess which mechanic I won’t be visiting again. I only get a mechanic to do it at all coz it’s on a lease. Arggggggghhh so frustrating. This is the same mechanic who said the valves don’t need adjusting on an NX - but I got him to do the oil change coz I thought surely he can’t screw that up.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X