• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

I went with the alko off road coupling.

still not perfect but can open the door once hitched up.

cheers Brett

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

I stumbled across these the other day. Very interesting design. They can be optioned with a single ball instead of two. Not cheap mind you.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rapid-hitch.aspx

Benny
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
        I stumbled across these the other day. Very interesting design. They can be optioned with a single ball instead of two. Not cheap mind you.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rapid-hitch.aspx

Benny
        These only come in imperial sizes so 2" is 50.8mm so I doubt if this can be used on 50mm trailer couplings, which is the Australian Standard.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTBenny
          • May 2017
          • Newcastle

They can be optioned with a 50mm ball.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANDERSEN-RAPID-ADJUST-4-RISE-OR-DROP-TOWBAR-TONGUE-HITCH-50MM-TOW-BALL-CARAVAN/401449377841?epid=10031405738&hash=item5d783f6031: g:lVQAAOSwYNVdRkhT&frcectupt=true

Benny.
          2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

Sounds like the original poster maybe has the 'wrong' tongue?
            The 'stock' one should come out a fair way and down so you drop the trailer etc. onto the ball BEHIND and below where the spare wheel is.

Does not help opening the door once hooked up but as we know there are ways around this (spare wheel raise and different hitches etc)
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Markts58
              • Feb 2015
              • Granton Tas

towbar tongue

Correct I have a towbar tongue that is reversible.

Just pull it out and turn up-side down.. Change the ball of course.

Problem solvered.

Comment

• Two Emms
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2020
                • Mansfield, Vic

Careful! It is not as easy as turning the tongue "up side down" . I have seen a tongue broken at the bend ( goodness knows how!) and when the mechanic issued a new one he told the operator not to turn it over. Not sure of the logic but it was stressed as making a difference.

Some tongues even have little gussets welded on the sides of the bend for extra support as well.

I will qualify this by saying that it seems to me that it would make no difference. But I have been wrong before...........

I think a reputable tow bar installer would be worth asking.
                2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Some manufacturers rate their tongues as reversible, others explicitly state that they are not. If you can't get something from the manufacturer stating that it's OK to reverse then don't.

In terms of the difference, the first possibility that occurs to me is the welds. I expect a weld under compression will be no problem. I've seen some tongue designs that, if reversed, would be attempting to peel welds apart. I'd want a metallurgist better than me to advise its OK.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jackal
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Tronic72 View Post
                    Have had my NT for about 12 months and I cnn't believe how terrible the placement of the tow-bar/ball is. Does anyone else have this issue where they can't remove a trailer without opening the door and/or removing the spare wheel? My NP which I had for about 5 years never has this issue because it was offset. How has Mitsi gotten away with this???
                    G'day Tronic, help is at hand with door opening issue. If you haven't already done so, get the rear wheel lifted (does come in a kit) or have it done. This lifts wheel 50mm and will accommodate most clearance issues.
                    If, like me however, you have your tow tongue in the upright position (rather than the "normal" down position, the only hitch I am aware of that fits (and I did an awful lot of homework on this) is the excellent OzHitch, available from Manutec in South Australia. The man to talk to is Dan O'Leary, a really helpful bloke.

These hitches are so easy to hitch up to--much easier than the common ball; tow beautifully and well made.
                    I have had ours for 11 years now, and has never missed a beat. With the OzHitch, I can open the rear door all the way to the gas bottles on the drawbar, and if I turn the Pajero slighty at an angle, I can get the rear door all the way past the gas bottles. Heaven!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X