• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andythiing
    • May 2019
    • Adelaide Hills

Am I covered by insurance and what is the best repair option

Had an unfortunate incident occur with my SWB Pajero NT yesterday. My daughter had borrowed my car for a trip to the river Murray and was returning with 2 kayaks on roof rack on the SE freeway. Towards end of trip the whole roof rack including rails tore almost completely off - luckily no other damage to car kayaks or following vehicles as they did not completely detach. We had extreme weather conditions yesterday with high wind gusts - roof was not overloaded by weight but obviously the wind load was too much and cause catastrophic failure? Is this storm damage or covered by car insurance ( I will obviously check with my insurance via RAA) also with repair should I have original rails or look at a different option?

Any guidance or help appreciated
    SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
    2 inch lift
    ARB bar and snorkel
    Bushskinz bashplates and sliders
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

The winds here were very strong yesterday - driving back on the freeway into that wind probably put about 170 kph loading on the kayaks, with strong gusts well above that. I'm not surprised something happened. Try insurance claim - it costs nothing to try, except the excess. RAA are better than most, I hear. You may need to demonstrate they were loaded correctly (difficult to prove). The excess should be refunded if they reject the claim. Also note a claim may impact your no claim bonus &/or future premuims, so make sure it is worthwhile before lodging.

If you intend carrying the same load, I'd get a stronger rail system from a reputable supplier - there are plenty of threads on here about them. Simply replacing with the same may lead to the same result. Note insurance will usually only pay for standard replacement, so some negotiation may be required.

With a SWB, the kayaks may have tended to "rock" back and forward & place high loads on the rails - how were they tethered at each end? Did she stop & check they were tight along the way? You may need to look at a method of securing or supporting them closer to the ends? Not just up & down, but sideways also.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pajflareo
      • Feb 2013
      • Syd

Originally posted by Andythiing View Post
      Had an unfortunate incident occur with my SWB Pajero NT yesterday. My daughter had borrowed my car for a trip to the river Murray and was returning with 2 kayaks on roof rack on the SE freeway. Towards end of trip the whole roof rack including rails tore almost completely off - luckily no other damage to car kayaks or following vehicles as they did not completely detach. We had extreme weather conditions yesterday with high wind gusts - roof was not overloaded by weight but obviously the wind load was too much and cause catastrophic failure? Is this storm damage or covered by car insurance ( I will obviously check with my insurance via RAA) also with repair should I have original rails or look at a different option?

Any guidance or help appreciated
      Sounds violent!

My gut feeling is the insurer will come to the party for this.

Download the BoM records for the nearest weather station to show the unusual weather.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Shit!

I’m glad there were no injuries.

I know it doesn’t answer your question but as a learning experience for others, can you describe the roof rack system (ie was it just simply 2rails attached to the factory roof rails?).

According to an acquaintance I have that owns/runs a large crash repair business, the RAA are the best company to deal with (in S.A.) for both customers and him.
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Andythiing
          • May 2019
          • Adelaide Hills

Thanks everyone - yes scary for her and really glad they didn’t come completely loose and hit other traffic etc so in the end a better outcome than otherwise might have been - kayaks where secured very well - her boyfriend tied in and he was a scout so at least knows how to tie a knot 👍

Roof rack was a light weight aluminium rola rack low profile on rola bars attached to factory rails - drivers side rail completely detached from roof - I’ll post some pics later today
          2 inch lift
          ARB bar and snorkel

Comment

• Andythiing
            • May 2019
            • Adelaide Hills

Some pics sorry about quality
            Attached Files
            2 inch lift
            ARB bar and snorkel

Comment

• Andythiing
              • May 2019
              • Adelaide Hills

I’ll do a search as well but does anyone know if the rhino pioneer system backbone system is available for a SWB
              2 inch lift
              ARB bar and snorkel

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009
                • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Based on my 22 years in the insurance industry - I don't think you will have a problem and it will be a claimable event unless there was proof that the racks were overloaded (ie, more than the manufacturer recommended static weight etc)

Cheers

Comment

• Andythiing
                  • May 2019
                  • Adelaide Hills

Thanks for that - I’ll let you know the outcome - lodged claim today
                  2 inch lift
                  ARB bar and snorkel

Comment

• Drewan
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Adelaide

Thanks for the picks my racks are pretty much attached through the roof skin only. Im now officially worried
                    Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• Andythiing
                      • May 2019
                      • Adelaide Hills

Well RAA have been good to deal with so far - claim lodged and accepted but have to get quotes and possibly negotiate on options for replacement roof rails - still unsure what to fit?
                      2 inch lift
                      ARB bar and snorkel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X