• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Canvas Dome tent problems

I picked up a Safari Bow 3X3 meter for it's simplicity, durability & wanting it to last me a long time. I did as much research I could before getting it & watched alot of videos showing different brand tents being setup & the Safari bow appealed to me for what I wanted.

What I have found is an overpriced tent which I can't completely setup as the spring steel frame is too tight or slightly wrong size or something, so I can't connect all the hook/ connections of tent to it. Also many really cheap components.
    There are also about 5 average pools of water around borders of tent coming from the floor/canvas seam.

I know you are suppoose to weather canvas tents, but I have never seen a traditioinal canvas tent this bad from store.

The poles for awning, guy ropes, pegs are all kmart quality rubbish & will have to be replaced.

The awning is pretty small too & almost useless.

Has anyone got experience with these canvas dome style tents?

Do you know how they go longevity wise? many of my eyelets are under too much tension I think & look like they will eat into the fabric eventually.

Not sure what I should do? ask for a replacement & maybe get the same thing again. There are not alot of good alternatives in Aus stores, I did consider the Blackwold turbo canvas range, but too much setup & guy rops I think, plus reviews about leaks.

In short I have not been able to 100% erect tent as doing so with tear the eylets galore, although it still functions well the whole tent is too tight in various areas. Such a situation would mean these style tents probably won't last long being used alot. And for this much coin its a joke.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Can you take it back and have store set up and check that erection is correct? If it is and still unhappy with it damand a refund.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Take it back and tell them its rubbiosh. I have a camper trailer for when I do more than 2 nights camping. I also have a 4 person Coleman quick setup tent. $250 and a ripper. Used it for my Cape York trip and also for a cattle station weekend. Mate has the 10 person modeland for him, wife and baby it is a ripper. For what you paid for the tent you could have bought at least 3 Coleman quick setup tents. Like anything else...if looked after they will last a very long time. Too much bullshit advertising sees many buyers disappointed with some of their purchases. Hope you get it sorted.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

They seem incredibly expensive for what they are. For that sort of money you can get an Oztent with the extra walls etc.
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Aspey
          • Dec 2015
          • Great Southern Land

imo the best touring tents use real canvas, they are durable and breathable. Oztent use a poly-cotton canvas.
          The canvas tents need to be weathered to be waterproof though. I'd contact the store or manufacturer as it may need to be seasoned.
          Did you check out Southern Cross & Freedom tents?
          Both excellent.
          NP VRX DID

Comment

• Scouter1
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2013
            • Sydney NSW

I have had a Safari Hennie tent for 8 years & used it for over 100 nights camping. They are a seriously bombproof tent using heavy duty canvas & steel pole system. I have had it up in torrential rain & strong winds when other nylon or lighter poly canvas tents have been impacted by the weather. The tub is leakproof & it has heavy duty flymesh.

They are designed to stretch a little so are initially quite stiff to put hooks on the poles. After this time, I haven't seen any problems with eyelets tearing. Being canvas they will need initial seasoning http://www.gocampingaustralia.com/ho...on-a-tent.html, mine took about three sessions with a hose to get it watertight. After that, it works everytime in the rain.

Campmor has been making this style of tent for Safari camping in South Africa for 20 years, they seem to have stood the test of time. These tents are left up permanently on Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbour for their "glamping" service, last time I heard they had been up for 3 years in all sorts of weather.

I would contact Kangaroo Tent City to discuss your concerns, have found them very helpful in the past.

Cheers,
            Stephen
            Last edited by Scouter1; 11-10-17, 10:21 PM. Reason: Detail
            2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post

Being canvas they will need initial seasoning http://www.gocampingaustralia.com/ho...on-a-tent.html, mine took about three sessions with a hose to get it watertight. After that, it works everytime in the rain.

Cheers,
              Stephen

When I was a younger bloke, seasoning a new tent was a common practice, but you dont seem to hear much about it these days. Is this advice given when buying a Canvas Tent these days?

I bought a swag earlier this year and when I got it home I set it up on the back lawn and soaked it 3 or for times a day for about 4 or 5 days. Same applied when we bought out Van with Canvas Walls.

another thing we used to do back in the day was to repair tiny holes along the seams etc with wax. This works a treat and you only ever have to do it once.

Steve
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Bru9
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Victoria

Originally posted by craka View Post
                Can you take it back and have store set up and check that erection is correct? If it is and still unhappy with it damand a refund.
                I can't. brought online & all stores in NSW.

Comment

• Bru9
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  Take it back and tell them its rubbiosh. I have a camper trailer for when I do more than 2 nights camping. I also have a 4 person Coleman quick setup tent. $250 and a ripper. Used it for my Cape York trip and also for a cattle station weekend. Mate has the 10 person modeland for him, wife and baby it is a ripper. For what you paid for the tent you could have bought at least 3 Coleman quick setup tents. Like anything else...if looked after they will last a very long time. Too much bullshit advertising sees many buyers disappointed with some of their purchases. Hope you get it sorted.
                  Yeah I have an 80-100 dollar 4P oz trail that has lasted a very long time, all about being carful.

Comment

• Bru9
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by Aspey View Post
                    imo the best touring tents use real canvas, they are durable and breathable. Oztent use a poly-cotton canvas.
                    The canvas tents need to be weathered to be waterproof though. I'd contact the store or manufacturer as it may need to be seasoned.
                    Did you check out Southern Cross & Freedom tents?
                    Both excellent.
                    By the looks the walls tapper too much not giving much room & have very small awnings. Ill check out Freedom tents

Comment

• Bru9
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Victoria

I have had a Safari Hennie tent for 8 years & used it for over 100 nights camping. They are a seriously bombproof tent using heavy duty canvas & steel pole system. I have had it up in torrential rain & strong winds when other nylon or lighter poly canvas tents have been impacted by the weather. The tub is leakproof & it has heavy duty flymesh.

They are designed to stretch a little so are initially quite stiff to put hooks on the poles. After this time, I haven't seen any problems with eyelets tearing. Being canvas they will need initial seasoning http://www.gocampingaustralia.com/ho...on-a-tent.html, mine took about three sessions with a hose to get it watertight. After that, it works everytime in the rain.

Campmor has been making this style of tent for Safari camping in South Africa for 20 years, they seem to have stood the test of time. These tents are left up permanently on Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbour for their "glamping" service, last time I heard they had been up for 3 years in all sorts of weather.

I would contact Kangaroo Tent City to discuss your concerns, have found them very helpful in the past.

Cheers,
                      Stephen
                      Thanks. That gives me some comfort. I agree these are the toughest tents I have seen material & mesh wise, but I still think mine is a dud or something. Here is a pic of tent as complete as I can get it, showing how the rear right side of spring pole bulges out & I can't possible connect all hooks without damaging fabric. There is nothing obvious I can see that I have done wrong.

As for leaks, there are about 6+ small pools on sides of tent coming from canvas/floor mesh in various areas, still after a 3rd rain period for 20mins. The instructions advise seam sealer, will have to look into it. I found tape water doesn't get into tent as much as rain.

Comment

• psproule
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Googong, NSW

Try one of the originals that all of these are copied off... a Black Wolf Turbo 300. I swear by them having had 15 gruelling years out of ours, and several our friends have owned. Poke around BCF stores and you'll find the odd one left at a heavy discount as BCF are dumping them for their own brand. I saw a 300 canvas for $800 recently.

Pat
                        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Scouter1
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                          Thanks. That gives me some comfort. I agree these are the toughest tents I have seen material & mesh wise, but I still think mine is a dud or something. Here is a pic of tent as complete as I can get it, showing how the rear right side of spring pole bulges out & I can't possible connect all hooks without damaging fabric. There is nothing obvious I can see that I have done wrong.
                          Looking at your photo of gap between hooks & steel poles, I would suggest using the top tie tapes at the apex to initially get the canvas up close to the frame then work your way back down to the bottom. The hooks were pretty stiff to attach the first half a dozen times I used the tent, after that the canvas stretched a little & it became easier to set up.

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                          As for leaks, there are about 6+ small pools on sides of tent coming from canvas/floor mesh in various areas, still after a 3rd rain period for 20mins. The instructions advise seam sealer, will have to look into it. I found tape water doesn't get into tent as much as rain.
                          In regards to seasoning, I hosed it down three times, and used a little of the supplied wax on one of the seams in one corner that still had a slight leak after that. It has subsequently been up in very heavy rain on a number of occasions with no leaks.

I have found Kangaroo Tent City very helpful in two of their stores, and over the phone. Get in touch, they should be able to assist.

Cheers,
                          Stephen
                          Last edited by Scouter1; 17-10-17, 09:26 AM. Reason: Missing words
                          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Bru9
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Victoria

Looking at your photo of gap between hooks & steel poles, I would suggest using the top tie tapes at the apex to initially get the canvas up close to the frame then work your way back down to the bottom. The hooks were pretty stiff to attach the first half a dozen times I used the tent, after that the canvas stretched a little & it became easier to set up.

In regards to seasoning, I hosed it down three times, and used a little of the supplied wax on one of the seams in one corner that still had a slight leak after that. It has subsequently been up in very heavy rain on a number of occasions with no leaks.

I have found Kangaroo Tent City very helpful in two of their stores, and over the phone. Get in touch, they should be able to assist.

Cheers,
                            Stephen
                            Thanks but I don't think that will solve my problem. You have to see it in person as its so tight & no way to possible get all hooks on. It has got to be clearly a fault or wrong pole. This much bulging in pole is not normal.

Comment

• Bru9
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • Victoria

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                              Try one of the originals that all of these are copied off... a Black Wolf Turbo 300. I swear by them having had 15 gruelling years out of ours, and several our friends have owned. Poke around BCF stores and you'll find the odd one left at a heavy discount as BCF are dumping them for their own brand. I saw a 300 canvas for $800 recently.

Pat
                              I did consider those tents, Problem is the aluminium poles probably won't hold up over time. Too much guy ropes. But better awning & window flaps.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X