• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigcam
    • Dec 2011
    • KINGAROY

what do you guys think of this

i am thinking of buying a gen 2 swb and i found this one have not looked at it yet. i just want to know is the price ok and what should i look for?

• Zoomtop
    • Sep 2011
    • North Coast NSW

nl stumpy

Being through a dealer , I reckon you would pay around that price .
    I think if you just check th things you would check on a vehicle over 10y/old. I would go for a slide th length -oil leaks & such .
    Zoomie

Comment

• Bernoulli
      • Jun 2007
      • Oregon, USA

Seems like a lot. You need to know when the timing belt and water pump were done. Pick up floor mats and look for rust. Make sure it the shifts are not notchy.

I have a '95 NJ SWB,set up similarly. Sport exhaust is a waste of money - unless you like paying for more noise. I'd like to have a car top carrier, but have been warned about installations that require drilling through the roof (the swarf wanders around and starts rust where it lands).

Lift is a waste of money for the driving I do. The "off-road tyres" look similar to the Toyos I have. They are highway quiet and I like them, but check out the noise at cruising speed.

Once again, it seems like way too much money. I paid $6250 for mine 2 1/2 years ago. I would certainly get a professional second opinion. They are nice vehicles.
      89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• Lamo
        • Feb 2012
        • Townsville

The price is a bit on the high side although that would be because of the low km and the fact it is going through a dealer. It looks quite neat but the way the amp is installed on the back seat leads me to believe the previous owner was a younger male.
        Car yards these days need to make sure the cars the sell are completely road worthy. This means, by law, they have to fix things like oil leaks, bad tyres, electrical issues etc.
        Have a good drive of it. Take a friend with you and get them to write down the list of problems you encounter as you drive it.
        Things to look out for would be sloppy steering, extra bouncy suspension, drooping suspension, poor braking (pulsing), smoke out the exhaust upone take off and acceleration.
        When you take the car for a drive, let it sit on idle for a while - at least 5mins, and I mean 5 mins, then accelerate rather heavily. Watch the back of the car for puffs of smoke.

Good luck, it you can't do the above, take it to your dads favourite mechanic to have a look over.

P.S. most used car yards will have at least 2 grand profit in the deal so see if you can knock them down by at least a grand. The also have contacts within the car business so the can get accessories for good prices. If they wont knock the price down, see if they can throw in some 32inch M/T rubber of roof rack or 2 inch lift?
        97 NL GLS LWB, 2" King Springs + H/D Torsion bars, 265/75/16 M/T tyres

Comment

• Barneymutt
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Regents Park. Qld

For that sort of money I would be expecting a few bells a whistles and it would have to be pretty much perfect. I wouldn't want to be spending any money on it unnecessarily.

Comment

• Paj75
            • Jan 2012
            • Coolum Beach, Sunshine Coast, Qld

Mate, unless you are desperate to get the car ASAP, I reckon spend a bit more time until find the prefect one.

It took me about 12 month to find mine. Took me about more than 10 test drives. Just have to be patience, take a time, do a lot of research until find the perfect example.

I bought mine in January this year for A$7000. It's NL series, July 2000 model (the last batch of NL series), 3.5 V6 SOHC engine with only 170,000 km on it, first owner with full log book service by Mitsubishi dealer where they bought it from, stock standard and immaculate condition inside out (the interior, especially the seats just like brand new, like no one ever sat on it). It is also GL model so it is the basic no frill one which is what I was looking for (with vinyl floor make it so damn easy to clean it), but still got dual air bags, super select 4WD, ABS and standard factory LSD and also as the basic GL model so it comes with factory standard manual locking hub.

My budget was around $15000, so there is plenty left over money to put all the goodies.

I'm just absolutely in love with my Pajero.
            2000 NL Series Pajero GL (6G74 SOHC)
            ARB winch bar, TJM snorkel, Uniden UHF radio with 6.5 db and 9.5db antenna, 31/10.5/15 Cooper AT3 (I wish I bought set or 33"s) on black Sunraysias, 3" EFS lift kit, IronMan 220 Spoties, roof rack, awning, 12,000 Lbs Ridge Ryder electric winch, Exedy H/D.
            Wish list: dual battery set up, front Lokka, extractor, set of 35" muddies for playing and Bullet supercharged

Comment

• xsm
              • Mar 2010
              • ACT

There is no doubt that it does look good in the photos. The price however is quite a bit over the top. A private seller would probably expect to achieve a sale price of no more than $7,000 so you're probably not getting real good value even if it turns out to be as good as it looks in the photos. The only extras of any real value are the bullbar and lift kit.

I agree with Paj75. You will be able to do much better if you have a bit of time to do some more looking. More time will save you around $3,000 on a similar vehicle.

If you want to spend something like $10,000 you are in the territory of a good NL SWB GLS with the sweet 3.5 SOHC motor. You may also get one with the optional airbags and ABS brakes.

Personally, I always like to buy second hand cars by private sale. I like to speak to the owner and get a feel for how the car has been looked after. The statutory warranty applicable to that NJ is only 1 month or 1,000km anyway so it's hardly worth paying a few thousand extra for it.

Good luck,
              Martin
              Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X