• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Originally posted by kinnean01 View Post
    So after further enquiries, comments here and elsewhere, sticking with the factory fitted alloys and ruling out a couple of tyres due to either wet weather performance, road noise or just price (BF KO2 & MT 38's) it really only leaves one true LT tire at 265 60 R18 that being the Cooper AT3.

These are a fairly hefty $389 a corner as it is which will require a decent amount of sweet talking to the bank manager.

The only other semi viable option based on reviews etc and the 114 load rating I believe is the Wildpeak AT3W's at $339 a corner.
    Regarding your arguments to the bank manager and possible rejection of the BF KO2 tyre, I have had these tyres since new and have done 105,000km over the past 5 years (5 tyre rotation), with a lot of off road and towing a camper, and with another 10,000km in them still. Thus the true cost is not the outlay but how much you pay over time/distance. The only issue for me is they are a little noisier than I'd like but I'm not sure any other A/T will be any better. I've been considering the Cooper AT3 which is supposed to last as well but also be quieter.

Comment

• kinnean01
      • Jan 2019
      • perth

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
      Regarding your arguments to the bank manager and possible rejection of the BF KO2 tyre, I have had these tyres since new and have done 105,000km over the past 5 years (5 tyre rotation), with a lot of off road and towing a camper, and with another 10,000km in them still. Thus the true cost is not the outlay but how much you pay over time/distance. The only issue for me is they are a little noisier than I'd like but I'm not sure any other A/T will be any better. I've been considering the Cooper AT3 which is supposed to last as well but also be quieter.
      Thanks for the feedback Mundy. My main reason for discounting the KO2's opposed to the AT3's was the car is my wife's daily drive so I have to consider comfort and noise.

From my research I also think the AT3's will perform slightly better on wet roads. If I was purely touring and mainly offroad then I would probably lean towards the Ko2's but considering they are also $66 a corner more that made the decision easier!

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by kinnean01 View Post
        Thanks for the feedback Mundy. My main reason for discounting the KO2's opposed to the AT3's was the car is my wife's daily drive so I have to consider comfort and noise.

From my research I also think the AT3's will perform slightly better on wet roads. If I was purely touring and mainly offroad then I would probably lean towards the Ko2's but considering they are also $66 a corner more that made the decision easier!
        At $330 a tyre the G015 will be a quieter tyre than the Cooper AT3.
        Yokohama have a reputation for being a great on road tyres particularly in the wet.
        Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (4WD Tyre): 4.2 out of 5 stars from 29 genuine reviews on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• kinnean01
          • Jan 2019
          • perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          At $330 a tyre the G015 will be a quieter tyre than the Cooper AT3.
          Yokohama have a reputation for being a great on road tyres particularly in the wet.
          Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (4WD Tyre): 4.2 out of 5 stars from 29 genuine reviews on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au.

OJ.
          Thanks OJ. I did see the product review and thought great but then when I checked tyre review the opinions changed drastically, particularly around tread wear and wet weather capabilities?

I am very happy to be corrected as they are significantly cheaper, would love to hear any personal experiences from yourself or others on them.
          Last edited by kinnean01; 12-06-20, 11:35 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Reviews on tyres are like everything else, you tend to get the 2 extremes, good or bad and not much in between. Everyone’s experience is slightly different as are their expectations, vehicles, vehicle setup, Driving style, usage, local road and weather conditions so the wear rates, comfort, traction, reliability and handle will greatly vary. Mundy 55 has got in excess of 100,000km on his BFG’s but M&M struggled to get 55,000kms out of his BFG!

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• kinnean01
              • Jan 2019
              • perth

Reviews on tyres are like everything else, you tend to get the 2 extremes, good or bad and not much in between. Everyone’s experience is slightly different as are their expectations, vehicles, vehicle setup, Driving style, usage, local road and weather conditions so the wear rates, comfort, traction, reliability and handle will greatly vary. Mundy 55 has got in excess of 100,000km on his BFG’s but M&M struggled to get 55,000kms out of his BFG!

OJ.
              Very true and thanks, I am always wary of reviews. I know people are far more likely to post a negative experience review than a positive one..

Comment

• Gone_west
                • May 2017
                • Perth

Just replaced my Bridgestone duellers LT’s after 75000kms, found them very noisey and harsh over uneven surfaces, and they were Around $360 per tyre To replace I think. After much research I settled on the Cooper Discovery ATT’s, were on special for $230 per tyre at tyrepower in Perth, so got five! I can not fault them, soooo much quieter than the worn duellers, and smoother And are a LT body construction with a load rating of 114 in the 265/60 sizing
                2016 NX GLX
                MM alloy bullbar, Cooper Discovery ATT 265/60/R18, HPD catch can, Munji EGR delete module, Rhino roof rack, Bushskinz bash plates, Uniden UHF9060, Airtec snorkel, 50mm lift with XGS S4000 Gold shocks and coils, Redarc dual battery system, MM tow bar, light force light bar, iDrive throttle controller, Darche awning.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Gone_west View Post
                  Just replaced my Bridgestone duellers LT’s after 75000kms, found them very noisey and harsh over uneven surfaces, and they were Around $360 per tyre To replace I think. After much research I settled on the Cooper Discovery ATT’s, were on special for $230 per tyre at tyrepower in Perth, so got five! I can not fault them, soooo much quieter than the worn duellers, and smoother And are a LT body construction with a load rating of 114 in the 265/60 sizing
                  The Cooper ATT is a 114 load index, XL extra load passenger construction tyre, because an XL tyre has a reinforced light duty "light truck type construction", maximum cold inflation pressures are either 41psi or 44psi.
                  This is not to be confused with a true light truck construction tyre where the tread and sidewalls of the tyres are a heavier light truck construction. There is 8ply/D rated construction which is medium duty with a maximum cold inflation pressure of 65psi and 10ply/E rated construction which is heavy duty with a maximum cold inflation pressure of 80psi.

All the above is moulded into the tyre sidewall so next time you are checking your tyre pressures have a look.

Most 4wd owners run their tyre pressure too high, it is common that 4wds fitted with "P" Passenger rated construction tyres that have a maximum cold inflation pressure of 35 or 36 psi are often inflated to 40+ psi by owners and mechanics.
                  The tyre placard indicates the tyre pressures the vehicle manufacturer recommends as a minimum so add between 5% and 10% to these figures but do not exceed the maximum cold inflation pressure of the tyres.

OJ.
                  Last edited by old Jack; 16-06-20, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Ozzz
                    • May 2019
                    • Brisbane

Hi OJ

I have seen this tyre https://www.bobjane.com.au/a/265-65r...riant_id=19660 with 119 loading. Is it meeting the LT requirement even it doesn't mention?
                    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Ozzz View Post
                      Hi OJ

I have seen this tyre https://www.bobjane.com.au/a/265-65r...riant_id=19660 with 119 loading. Is it meeting the LT requirement even it doesn't mention?
                      Yes it is a 10ply Light Truck construction. It is a mud tyre so do not expect great on road manners or tyre life if used on the bitumen.

Not many online reviews but soft sidewalls and damage have been reported.
                      Radar Renegade R5 (4WD Tyre): 3.8 out of 5 stars from 4 genuine reviews on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au.

A Tier 1 hybrid AT/MT tyre like Cooper ST Maxx or Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 or Goodyear DuraTrac will cost about $150 more a tyre but if they last a full life of 75,00kms then it is only $0.006 per km per tyre, you would need to get 50,000km of trouble free travels out of the Radar RT's to achieve the same cost per km as a Tier 1 branded tyre that has proven reliability.

OJ.

Comment

• Ozzz
                        • May 2019
                        • Brisbane

Yes it is a 10ply Light Truck construction. It is a mud tyre so do not expect great on road manners or tyre life if used on the bitumen.

Not many online reviews but soft sidewalls and damage have been reported.
                        Radar Renegade R5 (4WD Tyre): 3.8 out of 5 stars from 4 genuine reviews on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au.

A Tier 1 hybrid AT/MT tyre like Cooper ST Maxx or Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 or Goodyear DuraTrac will cost about $150 more a tyre but if they last a full life of 75,00kms then it is only $0.006 per km per tyre, you would need to get 50,000km of trouble free travels out of the Radar RT's to achieve the same cost per km as a Tier 1 branded tyre that has proven reliability.

OJ.
                        Thanks OJ
                        My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• kinnean01
                          • Jan 2019
                          • perth

Slight change of tact.
                          Ended up finding a set of 2019 GLX 17 inch 7 spoke alloys, basically brand new. I think I got a pretty good price and freighted them from Vic to Perth.
                          Toyo AT II's 265 65 R17 LT (120 load) getting fitted today at $200 a corner ($50 trade in on each tyre on rims bought). Bargain.

Now just need to find a fifth rim and sell my 18 inch rims and I'm set....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X