• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allmitsy
    • Jan 2018
    • sydney

OBDII Engine scanners

Hello to all. A quick question, has anyone had positive/good feed back or can recommend a good scanner for my 95 NJ 3.5 DOHC Pajero. Kind regards.
  • Patagonia
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

You need a mut-II scanner, obd2 wont work.

Also, you can check error codes by shorting 2 pins in the port and then read the lights flashing in the dash, you can find the codes and correct pins to short by googling, dont recall where but shure on this forum.
    2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
    Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
    31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
    2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Yeah, 2005+ here for obd2 to work unfortunately

Comment

• allmitsy
        • Jan 2018
        • sydney

hello Patagonia, yes i thought i might need a mut scanner and i have the codes but would prefer a proper scanner to do more in depth work.. regards garry
        Last edited by allmitsy; 06-06-20, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• allmitsy
          • Jan 2018
          • sydney

hello disco stu, i thought it was 2007+ that was fully compatible. regards garry
          Last edited by allmitsy; 06-06-20, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

You might be right. Our 2005 falcon works with my obd2 adapter at least, but my memory is probably fuzzy on things

Comment

• Scooby
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • Ipswich, Qld.

I had a mate around today looking at my NM he had Launch branded OBD reader adapter and tablet. He was able to talk to it and clear a code and check sensors and reading, but he said it was $3000 worth of kit.
              Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                You might be right. Our 2005 falcon works with my obd2 adapter at least, but my memory is probably fuzzy on things

It was late 2006 when the NS was released but something fuzzy in my mind tells me some of the NM Np petrol may have been compatible.

Comment

• allmitsy
                  • Jan 2018
                  • sydney

more info

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                  I had a mate around today looking at my NM he had Launch branded OBD reader adapter and tablet. He was able to talk to it and clear a code and check sensors and reading, but he said it was $3000 worth of kit.

hello Scooby, can you explain to me what is meant by (Launch branded) and was he able to do a lot with it re the Gen 2 Paj IE do a lot of communications with various systems and check a lot of stuff. Like me, i guess there are a lot of guys out there that wish there was a company out there that had a variety of these systems that they would hire them out, customer would cover all freight and insurance and if at the end of the hire period the customer had the choice to purchase that used unit or send it back and pay full price for a new unit, that way people could thoroughly test the unit out and make a decision as to whether it suits him or not. regards garry

Comment

• Scrambler
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Toowoomba, Qld

Allmitsy/ Garry,

The NM is newer tech. The Gen 2 cars use dash lights for their codes: check the links above. You cannot read in the same way as the newer cars.

There is no gain with the fancy units afaik, if you have a Gen 2. Our cars don't run as many 'smarts' as the new ones.
                    =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                    =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Scooby
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Ipswich, Qld.

The box that the OBD tooling was in had “Launch” on it and I did a google search and came up with Launch Tech and they sell code readers and scan tools as well as other workshop tooling.

I thought I had a problem with the Intake temperature sensor, we hooked the reader / scan tool up and was able to check its actual reading. Also looked at oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor and injector voltage.
                      My mate said that he could see more and he could also see the trans ecm.

We also cleared an engine fault code that was logged after I disconnected the coolant temperature sensor with key on, surprised there wasn’t more faults as I have been messing around with air intake sensor as well.

I was under the impression that the generic OBD2 readers would only work on Australian models after 06 petrol or 07 diesel or about this time and not on models before. I have a cheap reader myself and didn’t even try it on the NM as this was also in the Instructions for it. It works on the NW. I will try it tomorrow on the NM and see what it does.

My mate said he remembers paying about $3000 for this kit a few years ago when he was working full time on cars, all makes.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Comment

• Scooby
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Ipswich, Qld.

Just tried my cheap OBD2 reader on the NM it could not connect to the ECM. It went through 46 protocols trying to find one to communicate with it but none worked.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X