• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mtflyfisher
    • Jan 2020
    • Victor, Montana

Considering importing a JDM Gen 2 Exceed 2.8

Newbi here. I live in the US in western Montana. I’m also a new rural mail carrier, with a 70 mile route that is 75% gravel / mountain roads. I am shopping for a right hand drive SUV. I’ve been shopping for importers of domestic Japanese vehicles and found several that purport to provide clean US titles to purchasers. I am also a long time diesel fan, I haven’t owned a gas vehicle for 15 years. Because of our ridiculous import laws and the newest vehicle I can find is 25 years old! In addition to work, it would also become my primary hunting and fishing setup as I don’t think it would have any issues pulling my drift boat about anywhere.

Long story short, I found some very attractive, clean, relatively low mileage Pajero LWB Exceeds. All are 1993 2.8 turbo intercoolers. I have a co worker that has a gas V6, that she loves, I’ve driven it and think it would be perfect for my intended use.

I have some questions. What equipment should I be looking for on them? I do live where it can get cold, but will be garaged overnight. I also live at 4K feet altitude, are there any concerns there?

This vehicle was sold as the Montero here so it seems general running gear parts not too big of a deal. The Diesel engines were never sold here... any thoughts on parts and service requirements? Sounds like some I can do myself, and some good diesel mechanics could manage, but the internet is all over the place with opinions on parts availability and reliability overall.

I keep my vehicles well maintained and use them, not rock crawler use, more expedition type in the mountains elk hunting and some longer trips, 1K miles, etc. Is the fact I live in the US going to be a barrier to owning one?

I appreciate any input any of you have. I’m particularly interested in hearing from any US owners of Gen 2 Pajero’s with the 2.8 motor.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and advice.
  • Kingmarz
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2016
    • South Island New Zealand

Try getting the 96-99 JDM model with electronic pump they’re 140hp and 320Nm.
    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Parts wise there is always mail order for the bits you can't get there. Just that the price will likely shock you in comparison to what you normally pay

Comment

• Mtflyfisher
        • Jan 2020
        • Victor, Montana

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
        Try getting the 96-99 JDM model with electronic pump they’re 140hp and 320Nm.
        I'd love to, but our silly import laws mean 96's won't make it here until 2022... Our congress passed a law in 1988 that protected our auto makers and haven't seen fit to change it yet..

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Mtflyfisher
          • Jan 2020
          • Victor, Montana

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
          Parts wise there is always mail order for the bits you can't get there. Just that the price will likely shock you in comparison to what you normally pay
          So I've heard... unfortunately that sounds all too familiar, I used to own a 2004 V10TDI Touareg, I cried a little everytime something needed replacing... that said, I LOVED that car. 310 HP, 553 ft/lbs of torque, twin turbos, adjustable suspension that would give you 11 inches of ground clearance, hi and low range and locking differentials... amazing car... A close encounter with a hurricane while I was deployed left it flooded for a cvoupel months... end of story. Thanks for your reply and so far I think its still leading the vehicles I'm considering.

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

I've heard anything VW is crazy on maintenance costs. In laws had something vw and had to replace brake rotors whenever brake pads were done. Doesn't sound cheap at all

I buy whatever parts I can from the US. Crazy cheaper than here. At least all the running gear you can buy there cheaper

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X