• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
    Most multimeters need you to remove the +ve lead out of its normal spot and put it in a special amperage measuring spot too.
    Great point, something I overlooked above.

I love my dc clamp meter. No probe wire removal, no cable disconnection, just clamp it on and turn the dial.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Wow! A lot of technical talk that I don't understand unfortunately shark, but it I've no doubt you know your stuff! So, two multimeters, same thing happens, same reading. I've replaced the alternator, had the same issue. So, after a drive the battery is at around 12.6 volts. Engine running I get a reading of 14.7 volts.
      The charge light. Last week, I lost the radio, interior lights and the digital compass, but no fuses were blown. So, I removed everything from the car that had been added by the previous owner, i.e. stereo, spotlights and all the wiring associated with them and I tell you... my kids could've wired up neater.. Anyway, turned the key and had interior lights, and the compass back. Dash lights, which are led, are still flickering but it does start in the morning now without removing the positive terminal. However, only just.. Something is still a miss.. A faulty relay? Yeah, maybe earth to body from battery? I dunno, it's just trial and error. Doing my best.

Comment

Problem solved!! My methods were correct after all. Turns out it was a short in the air con wiring. Thanks so much for all the advice!!

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by yenrot View Post
          Problem solved!! My methods were correct after all. Turns out it was a short in the air con wiring. Thanks so much for all the advice!!

Good stuff...
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

I was only thinking to day that we hadn't heard from you and your problem.

Great news. I guess you got someone else to find that?

Now you can put back all that extra wiring

I still don't understand how you couldn't see the parasitic draw. I'm guessing it was only an issue with the engine running? That would be a pain to trace.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Haha! No, I actually found it. I was doing something wrong and that was be patient. Turns out that when I was testing for the drain, I had to wait about 30 seconds for it to appear on the meter. I've ripped out all the wiring associated with anything that wasn't factory and I'm starting again. But yeah, glad it's solved, was doing my head in 😃

Comment

• juanchos
                • May 2019
                • Carolina

Can you share your findings? Which circuit?

Thanks!

Comment

G'day mate,

Sure can.. there were two wires, both earth, from the stereo, previously installed before me, and the air con. I've installed a new 7" Pioneer DVD/ CD player moving the heater/ aircon down to where the storage tray was along with some new pioneer speakers and had the opportunity to clean up all the wiring and it was a mess to say the least! Then, realised the aircon fuse, was continually blowing so I checked that out and broken earth wire as well.
                  Anyway, all sorted now, aircon compressor replaced along with belts, gassed up with updated wiring and no more drain.

Comment

• Aspey
                    • Dec 2015
                    • Great Southern Land

Found this video which might help someone, it shows another way to locate parasitic drain.
                    NP VRX DID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X