• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

2 or 4 Recovery Tracks?

I'm wondering if 2 is enough in most situations on the rear & when have you had to use 4 on all wheels?

The cost & room require for 4 is a turn off for me, unless I knew 4 is really needed.

2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • conquistador
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • sth east queensland

2 is a good start and will get you out of most situations. Typically,when more are needed there just happens to be other vehicles which have 2 to spare.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

Use them under the front wheels if you are trying to move forwards. Because as the 4WD starts to move out of the bog, the back wheels will then catch on the tracks and give you a 2nd dose of traction
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• m_and_m
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I got serious stuck in the soft beach sand near Robe.

Without 4 max tracks, and the shovel, I'd be in a new car now.

I keep mine on the roof racks. To me and extra $180 (on special) for a pair of TREDs was worth it.

I guess it ultimately depends on how you use the 4by. My winch was next to useless in that situation.
        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Ent
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2014
          • Tasmania

Hi

Used two in mud but trouble is the caught and got spat out. Then mate used his, so then four, and with a Tirfor winch them more progress made.

That left an impression with with my Treds cracking So decided what the hell and brought four MaxTraxs and the matching joiners and pegs.

For the cost it is worth avoiding the potential frustration by having four. Not cheap but heck we spend a fortune on many things for our beasts.

Cheers
          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Katana Chatty
            • Apr 2011
            • Blackwood area SA

If you don't buy any you can guarantee that one day soon you will need 4.

If you buy two, you can guarantee that one day soon you will need 4.

If you buy four, you can guarantee that you will never need any!
            2008 NS Exceed DiD
            Twin batteries, FuelManager 30 micron filter, Airtek snorkel, Rhino Pioneer tray, Foxwing awning, TJM bull bar, 9500lb winch, 2" lift + HD progressive rate springs + Polyair bags, 75 litre water tank + electric pump, custom fridge slide, custom drawers

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

We travel solo quite often and without a winch so 4 Maxtraxs is what we carry. As Dan said if going forward put both sets under the front wheels and if going backwards then both sets under the rear wheels. You can drive from 1 trax to another and keep swapping the trax around so you can leapfrog your way out of very soft and long bogs. For simple short bogs 1 set is fine. 2 sets save you heaps of time on very soft beaches and if the tide is coming in time is critical!

cheers, OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Bru9
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                We travel solo quite often and without a winch so 4 Maxtraxs is what we carry. As Dan said if going forward put both sets under the front wheels and if going backwards then both sets under the rear wheels. You can drive from 1 trax to another and keep swapping the trax around so you can leapfrog your way out of very soft and long bogs. For simple short bogs 1 set is fine. 2 sets save you heaps of time on very soft beaches and if the tide is coming in time is critical!

cheers, OJ.
                Good advice, thanks. One day ill have four on roofrack.
                2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Pwoffey
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Adelaide

I've been thinking about the same problem. I've got a pair of MaxTrax but I'm considering getting a second pair. One option, to save a bit of space and weight, might be to make the second set one of those shorter Treds (790 mm long vs 1080 mm for the long Treds, or 1150 for Maxis). Opinions on a supplementary set of the shorties? Anybody using them?
                  BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

If they are different to what you already have then they will not nest/stack neatly and take up more room. Spend and extra $100 and do it properly!

cheers, OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

The new Tred Pro's will be out in April. Around $250 a pair and will nest together better than the current treds do. Might be worth a look. https://www.tred4x4.com/collections/...ducts/tred-pro
                      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• DJS75
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Gold Coast

I have 4 1200mm Treds and contacted Craig from Pradopoint for the Treds mounting kit and have them when and if I ever need them. You can never have "too many"

Comment

• Ent
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Tasmania

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                          The new Tred Pro's will be out in April. Around $250 a pair and will nest together better than the current treds do. Might be worth a look. https://www.tred4x4.com/collections/...ducts/tred-pro
                          Um? Would recommend staying away from Treds. First use out and one cracked down the centre. Used friend's MaxTrax and next week brought four of them. Personally think Treds are a me too product built using cheaper materials, hence cheaper price. I believe recovery gear must work as when you are using it you often really need it to work.

Looking at roof rack mounting systems to replace the strap I am using at the moment. The longer MaxTrax though better suit my bar spacing.

Cheers
                          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                            Um? Would recommend staying away from Treds. First use out and one cracked down the centre. Used friend's MaxTrax and next week brought four of them. Personally think Treds are a me too product built using cheaper materials, hence cheaper price. I believe recovery gear must work as when you are using it you often really need it to work.

Looking at roof rack mounting systems to replace the strap I am using at the moment. The longer MaxTrax though better suit my bar spacing.

Cheers
                            I've had no issues using my Treds multiple times. When we tested them on a forum trip at Wilbinga, the treds performed slightly better than the Max-Trax. The Tred Pro is also a totally redesigned bit of gear, and looks pretty good to me.
                            2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                            3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• DJS75
                              • Apr 2015
                              • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Ent View Post

Cheers
                              I've used both brands and to be honest it is a bit like the old "Prado vs Pajero" argument. I've got a mate who had to send his maxTrax back as the cracked after 1st go on Moreton. I couldn't justify the difference in $$$ which is why I also bought the Paj

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X