• Feb 2012
    • Canberra

Country of origin

FYI, the country of manufacture for the major 4WDs

Toyota Prado: Japan
    Mitsubishi Pajero: Japan
    Nissan Pathfinder: Spain
    Mitsubishi Challenger: Thailand

That would largely explain why the Prado and Pajero are significantly more expensive than the Pathfinder and Challenger.

It may (or may not) also explain why, for example, the black chassis paint on the Challenger appears inferior to the Pajero - see separate thread on this re chassis rust.

However, my Honda Jazz is also made in Thailand, and I don't personally have a problem with that re quality. For the most part, I suspect the only difference between 'Made in Japan' and 'Made in Thailand', is that labour costs are very high in Japan, so those chosing to buy a Pajero or Prado pay more accordingly. Personally, I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket
    Vehicles: Challenger, MY2012, Manual base model, ECB Bbar, HR Towbar, Skinz, 8.0 l/100km. Railcar, 200cc 4-stroke industrial engine, 2.5l/100k. Mountain bike#1, 32cc 4-stroke, CVT transmission, full suspension, 1.5l/100km. Mountain bike#2, biological engine, 0.0 l/100km
  • Challenged2010
    • Jul 2010
    • Naracoorte, SA

Originally posted by fuelconsumption View Post

That would largely explain why the Prado and Pajero are significantly more expensive than the Pathfinder and Challenger.

It may (or may not) also explain why, for example, the black chassis paint on the Challenger appears inferior to the Pajero - see separate thread on this re chassis rust.

However, my Honda Jazz is also made in Thailand, and I don't personally have a problem with that re quality. For the most part, I suspect the only difference between 'Made in Japan' and 'Made in Thailand', is that labour costs are very high in Japan, so those chosing to buy a Pajero or Prado pay more accordingly. Personally, I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket
    Wouldn't explain the Pathfinder though. Being made in Spain it should have a higher price tag, as Spain has almost the highest labour price in the Eurozone.
    Dave
    2010 Silver Challenger LS auto, ARB Deluxe Bar, EDS full length custom bash plates, Airtek Snorkel, Narva 225 broad beam kit with HID conversion, 2" lift with OME suspension, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 265-65-17

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Challenged2010 View Post
      Wouldn't explain the Pathfinder though. Being made in Spain it should have a higher price tag, as Spain has almost the highest labour price in the Eurozone.
      Would've thought Germany would be the highest, then UK, not Spain?

Steve
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Marty V
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Cranbourne, Vic

Originally posted by fuelconsumption View Post

The Pajero doesnt have a ladder chassis like the Challenger because its a monocoque... perhaps you're refering to suspension components which are bolted to the body rather than the ladder chassis as with the Challenger...

Comment

• 900canoes
          Valued Member
          • May 2008
          • FNQ

.... or, he could simply be referring to the paint?
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• Challenged2010
            • Jul 2010
            • Naracoorte, SA

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
            Would've thought Germany would be the highest, then UK, not Spain?

Steve
            Nope - Spain. That's why it's one of the countries going down the gurgler.....
            Dave
            2010 Silver Challenger LS auto, ARB Deluxe Bar, EDS full length custom bash plates, Airtek Snorkel, Narva 225 broad beam kit with HID conversion, 2" lift with OME suspension, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 265-65-17

Comment

• fuelconsumption
              • Feb 2012
              • Canberra

Originally posted by Marty V View Post
              The Pajero doesnt have a ladder chassis like the Challenger because its a monocoque... perhaps you're refering to suspension components which are bolted to the body rather than the ladder chassis as with the Challenger...
              My comments were intended to be very general. I could be referring to any Japanese-built 4WD, such as an older Pajero (like mine) with separate chassis, or a Prado - you just don't expect to see the black chassis paint peeling off a vehicle that is actually made in Japan, and I wondered if this apparent issue with the Challenger was related to it being MUCH cheaper and made in Thailand. We will never know, but it is possible.

I also considered buying a (relatively cheap) new Nissan Pathfinder, but looking around on the net I found way too many reports of systemic faults, such as clutch problems, breaking doorhandles etc. However, despite the low cost, and despite searching extensively I was not able to find any systemic problems with the Challenger, and I liked the design of the vehicle and the cargo space, so I have ordered one.

Mostly, I thought it might be of general interest to see the country of manufacture of the most common 4WDs. Feel free to make of that information what you like.
              Vehicles: Challenger, MY2012, Manual base model, ECB Bbar, HR Towbar, Skinz, 8.0 l/100km. Railcar, 200cc 4-stroke industrial engine, 2.5l/100k. Mountain bike#1, 32cc 4-stroke, CVT transmission, full suspension, 1.5l/100km. Mountain bike#2, biological engine, 0.0 l/100km

Comment

• fuelconsumption
                • Feb 2012
                • Canberra

Originally posted by Challenged2010 View Post
                (Re high labour costs) Nope - Spain. That's why it's one of the countries going down the gurgler.....
                Yes, I believe that is right, and is but one of many examples that shows why the concept of a unified European currency is flawed. If Spain had it's own currency, then it's value would have fallen with the (lack of) economic performance of the country, and everything would have sorted itself out.

However, I can only presume that Nissan found it cheaper to manufacture cars there compared to in Japan, at least in the past when they set up factories there, or they would not have done so.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X