• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The use of winch rope/cable dampner brakes on snatch straps

For years the National 4wd Training Syllabus has required the use of a cable/winch brake when winching and snatching. These brakes are commonly called "air brakes" and there is a common misconception they act a bit like a parachute to slow down the cable, rope, strap and even a failed recovery point. Reality is they work best when they are weighted to 5-10kg but most people do not bother doing this.
    Watch these videos and you may well change how you use an air brake or even start using one if you thought they were a waste of time.

Snatch Straps can be a quick go to 4x4 recovery method but they can be so dangerous. If you're interested in signing up for my upcoming online 4wd training c...

After seeing a comment on a recent video, I couldn't help but go and buy some winch rope to find out... Do 4wd winch cable dampeners actually work!? Will you...

Safe Recoveries, OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 22-12-19, 11:36 PM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • Jasonmc73
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2019
    • Brisbane

Yes i've seen many people talk about these bags/ dampers etc.

I believe they give such a false sense of security, just toss one over the strap, not weighted & the nylon bags got you covered & we are all safe .

I like that young fella Seek Adventure & thats a great test at catching the rope with weighted damper in my opinion & it is logical.

Here is another view on the subject with damper catching a projectile.

Air Dampers and Snatch Straps. In this video we test single, twin, weighted and unweighted dampers on loaded snatch straps.Patreon:https://www.patreon.com/Lo...

Your life could very well be in a strangers hands that is pulling you/ snatching you out I believe.

I have no idea as i'm no expert so i'll leave it to the experts to give advice, but I know for me what I think, but I do see it as a very interesting topic, thanks for the links.
    Last edited by Jasonmc73; 22-12-19, 11:25 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011

Hi Jason,

Well the link you provided certainly puts the "dampner" on using an air brake on a snatch strap. The video clearly quantifies the incredible speed and the resulting deadly forces of when something goes wrong.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        Hi Jason,

Well the link you provided certainly puts the "dampner" on using an air brake on a snatch strap. The video clearly quantifies the incredible speed and the resulting deadly forces of when something goes wrong.

OJ.
        I think this link is relevent to your post/ links, his info on use of dampner where & why he suggests & hopefully having the strap only as projectile.
        In a Practical sense a clever young chap I reckon.

I've misused a snatch strap many time on the farm & my pig chasing days but i'm open to realise phew, for me personally that is!!

Old equipment more than anything, not smart

Soft shackles are becoming more and more popular on the 4x4/overlanding scene. More companies are making soft shackles then ever before, gator jaw, factor 55...
        Last edited by Jasonmc73; 23-12-19, 12:37 AM.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

If pondered this for a long time. I always thought 2 would be better in case it's not perfectly in the middle and one end being longer reached the other vehicle.

The other part that I've pondered....the weakest spot of the cable would be the stitching area I thought, assuming no damage. I would then think that if the strap broke it wouldn't have anything to catch on the dampener and could slide through potentially meaning the dampener does nothing, although the end may well overtake the middle and then have to get pulled through the dampener. That one is a little harder to test without breaking the strap like the guy did on the vid with the tether, but I don't think he had a dampener in the video so we couldn't see how it went through the dampener

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

The videos show the dampeners being torn to shreds by the recoiling snatch strap, this would indicate the strap is travelling though the dampener first at least a portion of the recoil. My take is dampeners work well when correctly used in a winching situation but do not work so well under severe snatch strap failures.

OJ.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

The videos show the dampeners being torn to shreds by the recoiling snatch strap, this would indicate the strap is travelling though the dampener first at least a portion of the recoil. My take is dampeners work well when correctly used in a winching situation but do not work so well under severe snatch strap failures.

OJ.
              I could be wrong but my take as follows,

The video's posted by OJ would be indicative of a broken/ failed strap exactly what is suppose to happen as per design if anything happens, as the recovery point & all fittings/ shackles are strongest parts of the set up & in good condition, dampner weighted positioned to slow the re-coil of nylon/ snatch strap etc.
              With 5kgish in that damper bag it would want to fall down if strap breaks & i'm sure strap would get caught up in it.
              Although luck of the draw if it was a snatch strap not winch rope, i'm not so sure?

The stitching in snatch strap certainly will fail if overloaded/ stretched too far & is where I check for strap condition. I've done it snigging etc.

The video I posted is indicative of failed mounting/ poor recovery point choice or fittings etc & the strap has projectile/ D-shackle/ tow point as example still connected, tears the damper to shreads!

Point being outlined in the below link, make sure the strap is the weakest link or you run the real risk of death.
              I'm not suggesting this isn't already common sense or anything, just outlining & posting the below for reference/ explanation of my opinion on useful use of dampner for me.

Note: Not advise an opinion, ask the experts for advise.

Soft shackles are becoming more and more popular on the 4x4/overlanding scene. More companies are making soft shackles then ever before, gator jaw, factor 55...
              Last edited by Jasonmc73; 28-12-19, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

My take on this issue is that if you put a damper on the snatch strap, as soon as the strap takes up the slack, the damper is going to be flung into the air. One of the reasons for a damper is to stop the winch rope from flying through the air and decapitating someone. With a snatch strap, what is more likely is that a shackle (or perish the thought, a towball) will come flying one way or the other. I cannot see the damper doing any good unless by chance it happens to be in the trajectory of the flying object.

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

OJ.
                  I thought it was the projectile on the end that was doing the damage. I'll have to watch the show motion ones again.

I thought a more sturdy dampener would do more slowing also, lasting longer before disintegrating. All the ones I've seen have been pretty flimsy. Some decent strap rather than just plasticy canvas.

Winch without elastic cable seems a lot more forgiving in comparison to snatch strap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X