Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Super Select Indication lights on dash (NL GLS Auto)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xsm
    • Mar 2010
    • ACT

Super Select Indication lights on dash (NL GLS Auto)

Hi, The nice green lights in the dash that indicate which drive mode has been selected are not illuminating on my NL 3.5 GLS Auto.

The 4WD system is working fine, it's just the lights that don't work. It's probably not worth throwing much money in to fix this but if anyone knows of an easy fix I'd be glad to hear of it.

Cheers
    Martin
    Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.
  • 28NJ88
    • Jun 2009
    • Adelaide

Just replace the globes behind the dash, i think there either t5 or t10 wedge globes

Comment

• xsm
      • Mar 2010
      • ACT

Thanks, I've just tried swaping the globes around with others that I know are working but this is not the problem. The globes that I swaped are now working in their new positions (in the PRND12 spots) and the globes that were working in th PRND12 spots are not working in the Super Select spots.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
      Martin
      Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

• hootnah
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • nunawading, vic.

Hi Martin, I believe there are vaccum operated switches that operate the green lights on the dash. I have read a couple of threads about this on this forum and they were really helpfull. Do a thread search and you should find them. These switches are marked with a blue dot on one and a yellow dot on the other and are located near and below brake fluid resevoir towards inner guard. Maybe vaccum line off? Has work been done in area? Have all electrical connections and earths, fuses etc been checked? Im interested tohear how you go. Cheers Jim.
        99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!

Comment

• xsm
          • Mar 2010
          • ACT

Thanks Jim, Yep, I found a couple of threads about that and pulled those two connections off to check for dirt etc but this didn't give any joy. I also got underneath and gave a quick check of all the vacuum connections but they all look good too. These fix's seem to be related to the lights flashing so I assumed my problem was something different.

Earlier this afternoon after I checked the globes I was sitting in the car with the ignition lights on but the engine not running and I was moving the Super Select lever through all positions back and forth and the lights momentarily came on twice. I can't get that to happen again now though. This could point to a vacuum issue, perhaps I should read those threads again and get underneath for a more thorough check.

A bit more info - the bottom lights (rear axle) have not been working for quite some time but the top ones (front axle) have only recently stopped working.

Thanks again
          Martin

Comment

• hootnah
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • nunawading, vic.

Hry Martin, the rear axle indicator lights on mine havent worked since ive owned it (6 weeks!) it annoys me a bit but i know when imin 2wd! I figure the globes have gone cos they are on all the time, could be more sinister but i have other more pressing things to investigate. ie: cv's etc. Cheers Jim.
            99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!

Comment

• xsm
              • Mar 2010
              • ACT

Hi Jim, The rear axle lights on mine were the first to go. The front axle ones have only gone in the last fortnight. If you have the same problem as me it wont be the globes so it probably is something more sinister. I bought my Paj about 2 months ago from my Dad who has owned it since new. I will be seeing him tonight so I'll ask how long the lights haven't been working. I'm not sure if it's related but the "D" and "1" lights also don't work.

On Tuesday I am taking the car for a rego transfer roadworthy at the workshop where my Dad has been having the car serviced so I'll ask there and let you know what I find out.

Cheers
              Martin

Comment

• Mitsi Lover
                • Aug 2009

I replaced my SS lights with led bulbs.
                They lasted about 4 months. I think they're about as relevant as the gizmo in the middle that tells us when we're on a slope ( as if we can't work that out ).
                I've given up on the lights and just engage 4wd both high and low about once a week.

I went to the trouble of saturating all the external electrical connections with Lanotec but still finished up with no SS lights.

Comment

• Patagonia
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

diyou checked fuses?...mine had the problem and was only a fuse (remember there are 2 fuse boxes)

regards
                  2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                  Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                  31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                  2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• xsm
                    • Mar 2010
                    • ACT

Thanks for the suggestion Patagonia. Yes I have checked the fuses and all is good there. I'm think the problem is most likely related to one or more of the 5 detection swithes on the top of the transfer case. Unfortunately they are hard to get to to remove but I got my fingers around a couple of them yesterday and there was alot of black gunk around them. I will have a go at this area next weekend.

Cheers
                    Martin

Comment

• hootnah
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • nunawading, vic.

Hey Martin, you are inspiring me to get my rear axle green dash lights working. I have noticed that "sometimes" the front axle green dash lights will flash when ignition first turned on and have read in a thresd somewhere that this is a self test display (similar to srs and a/t lights at turn on) but only 30% of time! Following with much interest. Cheers Jim.

Comment

• xsm
                        • Mar 2010
                        • ACT

Today I removed and inspected the 5 detection switches on top of the transfer case. Visually, they all looked clean and operated smoothly. After refiting them the lights were still not working but I drove the car about 400 metres in 4H mode and the 4 green lights came on. I then pulled over onto a gravel surface and put it into 4HLc and the green lights went out and the diff lock light came on (flashing). A few more metres and the diff lock light stopped flashing and remained on. This was also the case in 4LLc. The green lights wont come on again now no matter what mode it's in. The good thing about this is that when they are working, none of the lights where flashing and all drive modes engage and disengage properly. The bad thing is that the green lights still don't work. I'm not one to give up so I'll continue to sleep on this issue. Next thing will probably be to take it bush and give 4LLc and 4HLc a bit of a workout to see if that makes the lights permanently kick in. (wishfull thinking???) I'll keep you posted Jim.

Cheers
                        Martin

Comment

• xsm
                          • Mar 2010
                          • ACT

The thread started by TC.Barky today has prompted me to update this thread.

My super select lights did kick in and within a couple of days after my last post they were working properly (and still are).

Cheers
                          Martin

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X