• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Congers
    • Dec 2018
    • Adelaide

NL Pajero 6G74 Oil Pump Priming

Hi all,

I am in the final stages of my Magna 3.5 transplant into the NL and stressing the final details. I would like to know ways in which people have primed the NL pump. It's a new pump which I filled with oil before assembly onto the crank. Plenty leaked out though.

FYI I did not remove the backing plate and fill the pump cavity with Vaseline. I am hoping this isn't critical as that would mean hours of backtracking.

Currently I am not able to get any oil pumping out the sender port during cranking.

My initial thought is to pump oil in through the sender port to fill the cavity. Hoping someone can put my fears to bed. Cheers.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

The most important thing at this stage is to minimise the load on the bearings whilst you are getting oil to them. Remove the spark plugs and let it whirr away on the starter motor - eventually the oil will come through. There isn't much else you can do to prime the system. Probably you are filling the oil filter at present as well as trying to circulate oil through the engine.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

I just pulled out one of the ports just behind the oil pump and put a barbed end in there that was a sort of fit, then fitted a hose with funnel and poured in as much oil as I could before quickly replacing the plug. I held it up high to try and get oil to flow around as much as possible. I think some in there is all you would need if everything was lubed well when putting it all together.

Compare it to an engine that has sat for a few months and oil drained down, we don't stress too much about priming in that case. I did what you are doing when I did the same engine swap and in the end figured I shouldn't over think it to much

Comment

• Congers
        • Dec 2018
        • Adelaide

Thanks. I had pre-filled the oil filter and have turned it over without plugs. Tomorrow I'll take a bit of oil out of the sump and load up through the sender port either with gravity or pressure. Then kick it in the guts, check for oil pressure, and stop overthinking it.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

What's life without way over thinking everything?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X