Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 01-02-20
Valued Member

I'm sure they exist with clean looking oil.

But my 30 years of experience wth diesel engines is the oil it's black.

This is not a problem.

My father has a Landcruiser & I can assure you, for the 650,000 K's he's driven it the oil, it's black. Enigine doesn't have a problem, engine goes fine

All the machinery I sell, diesel engines all shapes & sizes, the oil is black.

Thick & black not so bad, smells like diesel & thin watery not so good.

Do remember new engines do create more blow by, run them in with load, bed rings is common advice with machinery diesel engines.

We also like to change new engines oil long before what would be normal scheduled change. Lets say machine normal interval is 400 hours, 1st change would be done at between 50 to 100 hours.

Try not to get it on your concrete, not so good.
Old 05-04-20

My NW Pajero has 155,000 on the clock.
Put EGR plate in at about 70,000.
I tow a 2tonne caravan occasionally. Always do my own oil changes, with Penrite, either semi or full synthetic. The oil was always black and very quickly after changes.
IMO the manual which states a 5w/30 oil, is covering all environments of where the car is sold, and I always wondered why a car based in Queensland (or most parts of Oz) would need such a thin oil. Last mechanic I spoke to said he always used 10/40 in cars in the condition mine was in.
Have switched to that grade and the oil is quite clear still after about 8,000.
I always thought cleaner oil would be doing a better job of lubricating critical parts, with less strain on pumps, parts etc.
After reading some of these posts, it sounds like dirty oil is good and inevitable.
It's tough being a novice!
Greg
Old 05-04-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas55 View Post
My NW Pajero has 155,000 on the clock.
Put EGR plate in at about 70,000.
I tow a 2tonne caravan occasionally. Always do my own oil changes, with Penrite, either semi or full synthetic. The oil was always black and very quickly after changes.
IMO the manual which states a 5w/30 oil, is covering all environments of where the car is sold, and I always wondered why a car based in Queensland (or most parts of Oz) would need such a thin oil. Last mechanic I spoke to said he always used 10/40 in cars in the condition mine was in.
Have switched to that grade and the oil is quite clear still after about 8,000.
I always thought cleaner oil would be doing a better job of lubricating critical parts, with less strain on pumps, parts etc.
After reading some of these posts, it sounds like dirty oil is good and inevitable.
It's tough being a novice!
Greg
The theory being, is the dispersed black & materials you see dispersed throughout the oil, is where the leaked gunge from combsution should be, dispersed throughout the 10 litres of oil, not sitting on cylinder walls, no gummed in the oil pick up screen or in a lump in the bottom of the sump as example.
There are additives in the oil to achieve this.