• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spaceyoo
    • Mar 2017
    • Melbourne

Gen 3 tablet RAM mount - easy as!

This is a nice little RAM tablet holder I installed a couple weeks ago for my 8" samsung tab.
    We wanted something simple, to withstand corrugations (so no suctions cups etc), to be convenient for both driver and passenger, still allow space for out phone holders, and preferable no drilling. Oh - and legal 🙂.
    Turns out it was really easy!
    With the screws already there, on the bottom of the central dash cover and the 45 degree RAM ball mount.
    The toughest part was figuring out which screw to use because you need a longer screw once you fit the ball mount. Appropriate screws are pictured 🙂.
    We are also considering to fortify it for extra rigidity with a metal bracket to bet held by both screws.

When I was doing some research trying to figure it out I couldn't find anyone who'd done that so thought it might be useful!

P.S. this has been tested to as many corrugations as we could find in Nillumbik 😂
    Attached Files
  • 1533rl
    • Jun 2007
    • armadale wa

Gen 3 tablet RAM mount

Nice job. I have my tablet mount in the same place, not quite as flash as the RAM but mounting it there does make it very accessible. Good idea about the second screw, I might use that to stabilise my mount and tablet.
    Thanks
    Peter

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Agreed, nice job. It consumes some real estate in front of the info panel and stereo.

I went a different route, a ram seat bolt mount pedestal and ram tite cradle mounted in portrait orientation. My stereo etc is relatively clear, but the passenger has to suffer some reduction in space.

Different folks, different strokes. I do like your idea though. A stiffening bracket will make a world of difference - well it does for a seat pedestal mount.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• spaceyoo
        • Mar 2017
        • Melbourne

In our case, the passenger (me mostly) wasn't too keen on the space restrictions

The stereo and info panel we don't use that much - we control the music mostly from our iPhones, so thought it's a good compromise.

I'm not a 100% happy with the holder itself I must say, plus I might consider using a shorter rigid arm (as opposed to the two-joint one now). We'll see how it goes - we are still quite a way away from long expeditions, unfortunately

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X