• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liam75
    • Dec 2018
    • Goongong

Long Range Fuel Tank or Auxiliary

I have a 2016 NX Exceed.
    What're most peoples recommendations for Long Range or Auxilary fuel tank?
    Looked at the ARB, which only gives you 40 extra litres while Brown and Davis Aux give you 65L.

How have people found the extra weight or any issues with changing over tanks? Or any issues with actual use?

Thanks
  • dean
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007

Does the 81L LRA aux tank fit this model ?
    It's good and there are plenty on here with one, me almost 13 years.
    I had to improve my suspension when it was fitted.
    Dean
    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

From the OP's public profile, he has a 2016 NX. I do not believe the 81L LRA auxiliary tank will fit this model as it will be a 7 seater with rear aircon (but OP can check this!). The LRA 58L tank would fit.

Dean: I am glad you have had a good experience with the 81L tank. For a different perspective, a search on this Forum of my (and Sharkcaver's) experiences, using the tank for long distances on heavily corrugated roads, might give a prospective buyer pause for thought.

I have no experience with the LRA 58L tank.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Hey mate I have the Brown Davis aux tank. You read some criticism of them but I took mine on some decent corrugations recently on a central Oz trip and it’s fine.

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I have the LRA 58L tank due to rear aircon and it's ample for long range touring, it's been on about 4 yrears with no issues at all.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dean
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
            From the OP's public profile, he has a 2016 NX. I do not believe the 81L LRA auxiliary tank will fit this model as it will be a 7 seater with rear aircon (but OP can check this!). The LRA 58L tank would fit.

Dean: I am glad you have had a good experience with the 81L tank. For a different perspective, a search on this Forum of my (and Sharkcaver's) experiences, using the tank for long distances on heavily corrugated roads, might give a prospective buyer pause for thought.

I have no experience with the LRA 58L tank.
            Just had a quick read...who knows why of the failure.
            Mine has been on some kind of outback trip every year since fitted so thankfully all good.
            Dean
            NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Mundy55
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Gold Coast

Which fuel tank you go for depends, in part, on what type of driving you do.

I have the ARB 128L replacement tank and have never regretted it. It does sit about 30mm below the OEM tank but I go off road, including Vic High Country, and have not had a problem (but I also have a 40mm lift). But then I don't do the really aggressive gnarly stuff. Its great for towing.

The supplementry tanks sit behind the rear axle which greatly increases the load on the rear axle, whereas the ARB tank sits between the axles which share the greater weight.

The only other issue with the ARB tank is that when the tank is less than half full, and you are descending a long steep offroad hill, the fuel is all down one end and the fuel gauge reads very low. Not sure where the pickup point is but on steep off roading you may not get full access to the full tank. Better than the OEM though, of course.

Comment

• Liam75
                • Dec 2018
                • Goongong

Thanks for all the replies.
                I haven't owned a 4wd since my Patrol or in Oz the Ford Maverick.
                So the Pajero is a different beast especially with what you can do to it.
                I've checked out LRA, ARB, Brown and Davis. My question was trying to get a low down on what people prefered or their experience with what they had.
                I'm aimed at long-range driving, not full 4wd off-roading. That's what I use to do so the only thing that has really changed are the vehicles. So my tank needs are based on that.
                I'm just not sure if I keep the fuel tank and an auxiliary or replace the main tank.
                Leaning towards Brown and Davies.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Adelaide

I have Brown Davis bashplates which have performed well, but not their tank. As I wrote above I have a LRA 81L tank which of course is a fair bit heavier (when full) than the 58L tank that I suspect you would be looking at. But if I might offer a few words of advice when looking at a steel replacement tank that sits behind the rear axle:

1. Make sure that when it is full you will be happy with the weight on the rear axle and the specs of your suspension (given what else you may be carrying/towing)

2. check out how the tank will be attached to the Paj. In particular, how many points of attachment? If there are 4 then unless this is designed carefully there may not be enough flex as the chassis/subframe flexes, and this can lead to grief. If the forward 2 attachment points are much closer together than the 2 rearward then this tends to form a "triangle" which allows for some more flex than a rectangle. Another way to allow for flex would be to have some bushes in system, but I haven't seen that. Would no doubt be a fig to replace.

3. Again with the attachment points.: How strong are they? Do they have reinforcing gussets? If some of them are attached up through the back floor pan, is the floor pan reinforced or do the attachments use existing strong points?

4. Does the auxiliary tank have a low-point drainage screw in the event you need to empty the tank.

5. It is likely that the OEM filler will be replaced with a dual filler. If you like using high flow pumps (I don't as a rule), just check that the diameters of the new filler pipes will take a high flow nozzle. I have been caught out once when an outback servo only sold diesel with a high flow pump, and things got a bit messy with the smaller diameter fillers.

6. As with any expensive bit of kit, check the warranty carefully and remember your statutory rights. I will say that although I have had numerous problems with my tank, including having to replace it twice, the manufacturer has stood by his product and has fixed all defects without quibble, long after the nominal warranty had expired. But it is a character building journey.

I'm not sure what I would do now if I were deciding on a larger tank. I like the capacity of the steel auxiliary tank and they do seem to give some good protection for the rear bumper (aka the giant scoop). But even though the ARB plastic replacement tank gives 1 or 2 jerrys-worth less fuel than a steel 58L or 81L auxiliary tank, I really like that it is sited between the axles and there is just one tank to fill.

Good luck!
                  BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Garc
                    • May 2015
                    • Perth

Me too for the ARB 128L. It is 2 jerrycans worth extra. I have had it for 2.5 years and bashed it a bit including having to get the middle strap replaced (~$100) when I slipped off a straddle and hit it hard. It gives me high 900kms range when towing my 1ton Avan. (PS. Adding the MM torque lock up kit has given me 2L/100Km better towing for the same trip before and after)

Gary

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                    Which fuel tank you go for depends, in part, on what type of driving you do.

I have the ARB 128L replacement tank and have never regretted it. It does sit about 30mm below the OEM tank but I go off road, including Vic High Country, and have not had a problem (but I also have a 40mm lift). But then I don't do the really aggressive gnarly stuff. Its great for towing.

The supplementry tanks sit behind the rear axle which greatly increases the load on the rear axle, whereas the ARB tank sits between the axles which share the greater weight.

The only other issue with the ARB tank is that when the tank is less than half full, and you are descending a long steep offroad hill, the fuel is all down one end and the fuel gauge reads very low. Not sure where the pickup point is but on steep off roading you may not get full access to the full tank. Better than the OEM though, of course.
                    Last edited by Garc; 01-12-19, 10:16 AM.
                    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Liam75
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Goongong

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
                      I have Brown Davis bashplates which have performed well, but not their tank. As I wrote above I have a LRA 81L tank which of course is a fair bit heavier (when full) than the 58L tank that I suspect you would be looking at. But if I might offer a few words of advice when looking at a steel replacement tank that sits behind the rear axle:

1. Make sure that when it is full you will be happy with the weight on the rear axle and the specs of your suspension (given what else you may be carrying/towing)

2. check out how the tank will be attached to the Paj. In particular, how many points of attachment? If there are 4 then unless this is designed carefully there may not be enough flex as the chassis/subframe flexes, and this can lead to grief. If the forward 2 attachment points are much closer together than the 2 rearward then this tends to form a "triangle" which allows for some more flex than a rectangle. Another way to allow for flex would be to have some bushes in system, but I haven't seen that. Would no doubt be a fig to replace.

3. Again with the attachment points.: How strong are they? Do they have reinforcing gussets? If some of them are attached up through the back floor pan, is the floor pan reinforced or do the attachments use existing strong points?

4. Does the auxiliary tank have a low-point drainage screw in the event you need to empty the tank.

5. It is likely that the OEM filler will be replaced with a dual filler. If you like using high flow pumps (I don't as a rule), just check that the diameters of the new filler pipes will take a high flow nozzle. I have been caught out once when an outback servo only sold diesel with a high flow pump, and things got a bit messy with the smaller diameter fillers.

6. As with any expensive bit of kit, check the warranty carefully and remember your statutory rights. I will say that although I have had numerous problems with my tank, including having to replace it twice, the manufacturer has stood by his product and has fixed all defects without quibble, long after the nominal warranty had expired. But it is a character building journey.

I'm not sure what I would do now if I were deciding on a larger tank. I like the capacity of the steel auxiliary tank and they do seem to give some good protection for the rear bumper (aka the giant scoop). But even though the ARB plastic replacement tank gives 1 or 2 jerrys-worth less fuel than a steel 58L or 81L auxiliary tank, I really like that it is sited between the axles and there is just one tank to fill.

Good luck!
                      Thanks, heaps for that.
                      Coming around to the idea that ARBs tank might be the best option.

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

With regard to extra weight over the rear, I only fill the aux tank when I need the extra range and mostly only carry 10-15L in there for everyday driving. I pump some to the main tank each time it gets down to half and then top up the aux tank when I fill the main one again.

If I do need both, I wait until the main tank is about half full and then pump more from the aux tank across to fill it up again. In other words, I'm transferring as much weight as I can back to the main tank as we travel. Having done a trip to WA and Dirk Hartog Island, that extra tank is so handy. I never used the spare jerry I carried all the way there and back.
                        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          With regard to extra weight over the rear, I only fill the aux tank when I need the extra range and mostly only carry 10-15L in there for everyday driving. I pump some to the main tank each time it gets down to half and then top up the aux tank when I fill the main one again.

If I do need both, I wait until the main tank is about half full and then pump more from the aux tank across to fill it up again. In other words, I'm transferring as much weight as I can back to the main tank as we travel.

Yes, Ian, good advice and I have been doing exactly that since my last disaster with the tank halfway down the Birdsville track coming home from Cape York last year. Happily all went well after a long and corrugated trip through outback NT and SA this year. I keep my fingers crossed....

Comment

• Ian H
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2015
                            • Melbourne

I must say that mine's been on some really corrugated roads in the outback and quite a few trips up in the Vic high country over rocky ground. I've checked all the fittings and after 4 years, it hasn't moved at all.

Comment

• 2bad4u
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Perth, Western Australia

I've got the ARB tank and been very happy with it. Personally I like the fact that there are no transfer pumps, extra fill points, etc. I was originally put off by the fact that you only got an extra 40L but having had it for around 18 months now I find it really handy having those extra 40L. Mainly notice the benefit when towing my caravan in that I can get that bit further without the worry of if we will make it to the next servo. Also with the trips I do regularly, I can now bypass some of the dodgy roadhouses and fill up in major towns or at more "reputable" locations. Haven't bothered with jerry cans on my last couple of trips when previously I would usually take at least 1 for "just in case".
                              Warren
                              2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                              2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X