• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john ashton
    • Jul 2016
    • bribie island qld

alternator that is not smart

Hi all i am a new member so please excuse me if i dont get this right.
    I am looking for info about the smart alternator on my NW 2013 GLXR. Diesel auto It is fitted with a N70zz battery which will not fully charge.I use a scangauge and have checked the accuracy but i can not get the battery over 12.4 after a full days drive usually its 12.2 or 3 when driving the scangauge shows constant variation from 11.9 to 14.2. I usually run the engel which is wired direct to the battery. The camper has a 12vDC to 12vDC and this has no problem charging the camper battery. I just cant get the car charged. Is it possible use the computer to turn off the alternator variation as in some fords and mazda or is there a way to load up the alternator so it will stay above 13.5 or so
    Any help appreciated.
    John Ashton.
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

Hi john. I'm not sure what ur issue is as I have a my14 NW and see a constant 14.2/3/4 when driving.

Comment

• john ashton
      • Jul 2016
      • bribie island qld

Hi Green Troll, i wish i could get 14.2/3/4 for a reasonable period of time then i would have a fully charged battery. i am lucky to have 12.3 after a 400 k trip which means come morning i am down to 11.9 or 12 v
      cheers john.

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

Headlights and/or keeping on the AC should stop the alternator from dropping the voltage according to other peoples experiences. Never seen mine drop and I have both on all the time.
        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Tartrekka
          • Feb 2016
          • Mid North Coast NSW

Hi John, my suggestion to you is to find a wiring diagram for your vehicle and disable the connection between the ECU and the alternator. I did it on my patrol and now get a constant 14.4 volts which drives all my charging and van fridge.No engine default lights are displayed either.All batteries are fully charged..120A AGM Van battery,55A Optima AGM aux and the start battery.There is also a plug in device you put into the circuit that will increase the voltage output,but I believe it to be only minimal.You could research along that line as some people have had success with the device. For expert advice I suggest you get in contact with DRIVESAFE who regularly contributes to this site.
          Last edited by Tartrekka; 15-07-16, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• john ashton
            • Jul 2016
            • bribie island qld

Thanks for your input TC and Tartrekko I live in queensland and except for today (it's freezing here in Townsville)the air is on 90% of the time,tried adding the lights, tried the engel,still not enough volts, i have had a look for a alternator wiring diagram to see if i can brake the circuit somehow but so far have been unable to find a diagram, i will keep looking,
            thanks for the help, cheers john

Comment

• drivesafe
              • Sep 2007

Hi John, for you to have such low voltages, sounds like you may have a problem.

It might be your alternator or your ECU control.

It also might just be that the Scangauge is not reading the correct voltages.

If you have not already done so, next time you are driving and you see low voltage readings on your Scangauge, pull up, leave your motor running and measure the voltage at your cranking battery terminals.

Even with variable voltage alternators, if they allow the voltage to drop below 12.7v, you are actually running on your battery, ( discharging it while you are driving, not charging it ).

Comment

• john ashton
                • Jul 2016
                • bribie island qld

Hi Drivesafe, I checked the scangauge to be sure it is accurate and it is, i agree i have a problem how ever it falls within Mitsubishi specs, it is charging just enough to hold 3/4 charge.
                I think i will have to wait until something actually happens to the alternator or charging system so we actually identify it and fix it.
                thanks again john

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by john ashton View Post
                  Thanks for your input TC and Tartrekko I live in queensland and except for today (it's freezing here in Townsville)the air is on 90% of the time,tried adding the lights, tried the engel,still not enough volts, i have had a look for a alternator wiring diagram to see if i can brake the circuit somehow but so far have been unable to find a diagram, i will keep looking,
                  thanks for the help, cheers john
                  Link to workshop manual (select correct year at top):

Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

My NX doesn't charge enough for the indicator window in my (aftermarket) battery to go green, so I don't think these cars fully charge the batteries.

I wonder if this is why the OEM batteries don't last very long in recent models, perhaps combined with the puny OEMs they fit now?
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• john ashton
                      • Jul 2016
                      • bribie island qld

Thanks for that Spot01 i will print it out and have a look, again many thanks.
                      One thing i have just noticed is after putting the battery on the cetek charger the alternator charges at 14.1 to 13.9 for an hour before starting to drop down again.very strange
                      cheers john

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

Thanks for that Spot01 i will print it out and have a look, again many thanks.
                        One thing i have just noticed is after putting the battery on the cetek charger the alternator charges at 14.1 to 13.9 for an hour before starting to drop down again.very strange
                        cheers john
                        That is what they appear to do, ie, they charge well when there is a decent load on them, either from the battery after a cold start or from a load like the lights or A/C. After a while they drop back, but well before the battery is fully charged. As others have mentioned, try running something to keep a load on it to see if that helps.
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• john ashton
                          • Jul 2016
                          • bribie island qld

Hi All many thanks for your input i have now solved the problem, after visiting dealers ,20 or so auto electricians and numerous other helpful people a line in a REDARC info sheet reads
                          Cars with variable voltage alternators should not have any accessories wired to the negative side of the battery all accessories should be earthed to the body.
                          The reason for this is Pajero's have a current sensing meter it is the grey plug attatched to the earth terminal if you earth anything to the battery it will send incorrect info to the alternator.
                          I had an anderson plug, my engel lead,and a low voltage cutout connected, so i earthed them to the body and have now got my alternator working correctly at 14.1
                          Only taken 3 years.
                          thanks again for all your help.
                          john

Comment

• vladguan
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Adelaide

Hi All many thanks for your input i have now solved the problem, after visiting dealers ,20 or so auto electricians and numerous other helpful people a line in a REDARC info sheet reads
                            Cars with variable voltage alternators should not have any accessories wired to the negative side of the battery all accessories should be earthed to the body.
                            The reason for this is Pajero's have a current sensing meter it is the grey plug attatched to the earth terminal if you earth anything to the battery it will send incorrect info to the alternator.
                            I had an anderson plug, my engel lead,and a low voltage cutout connected, so i earthed them to the body and have now got my alternator working correctly at 14.1
                            Only taken 3 years.
                            thanks again for all your help.
                            john
                            Thanks for the heads up. I will ground the alarm horn to body when I have time. Not a big deal as it is not always on.
                            Please call me Vlad.
                            -----------------------
                            MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Melbourne

must feel good to have it fixed!
                              MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                              Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X