• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britz
    • Feb 2013
    • Frankston Sth

Spare Tyre or Complete Wheel & Tyre

Would appreciate comments on pros/cons of carrying just spare tyres or full wheels/tyres complete for Pajero. Will be doing track and mild offroad trips (Gibb Road, Savannah Way) with 2tonne Goldstream van.
  • Michael J P
    • Nov 2012
    • Brisbane Q

Britz Hi,

I carry a second spare on the roof rack. The recent change from a NP to a NW has made the task a little more difficult with the central spare wheel.
    I carry plug repair kits etc. but am wary of using butane etc for reseating so find the full second spare suits me

Regards Mike.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Britz View Post
      Would appreciate comments on pros/cons of carrying just spare tyres or full wheels/tyres complete for Pajero. Will be doing track and mild offroad trips (Gibb Road, Savannah Way) with 2tonne Goldstream van.
      I think an important part of this question is the tyres you're using - not all tyres are created equal.

Being South Australian, members of my family and I have done a few trips through the Innamincka region, where rough roads can do this:

I don't know what happened to this traveller, or how/why they shredded two tyres - but nobody in my family have had so much as a puncture in the same region. We buy tyres suited to where we travel, and set pressures appropriate to the terrain (and travel at an appropriate speed).

I believe the priority should be:
      • Quality (LT construction) tyres all round - vehicle and van
      • Tyre pliers (or similar) and repair kit
      • Second spare tyre (i.e. no rim)
      • Second rim (if budget stretches this far, and weight isn't an issue)

A tyre pressure monitor is also a good investment, but I can't get my head around where that should come in the above list. FWIW, I have a Tyre Pliers and a TPMS, but I don't carry a second spare. Your priorities may be a little different.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X