Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Dig Options Head Unit

Any body fitted a standard Dig Options unit (not the Rockford), recently?
Would like to know what others think of these units.
Greg
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I fitted one 5 years ago and it's worked until recently. Now starting to do weird things like only playing a few seconds of each song, volume control not working and other strange behaviours.

This is the best run that I've had from a Chinese unit so maybe not bad compared to the cheapies.

Even when new it struggled to run navigation and music together - it's a WinCE OS but the problem has always been just not enough processing power or memory. The later, Android, systems seem to suffer from the same shortcomings. Screen has been better than most but sound quality has always been average.

Looking at replacement options now and thinking name brand for sound quality, but they don't all have the same feature set. Other option, which I'm leaning towards is a PC based system running either the OpenAuto Pro. A lot more work than an off the shelf unit but, I suspect, will be more reliable. Hardware is readily available but software all seems to lack something.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I've got an Android system, 2gb memory, Android 6.0. runs navigation or oziexplorer with music or digital radio quite happily.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdb View Post
I've got an Android system, 2gb memory, Android 6.0. runs navigation or oziexplorer with music or digital radio quite happily.
What brand is yours? I'm on my second Joying (the first one died after 13 months) and the experience with this one hasn't been good. Google Maps is hit & miss as to whether it works properly (either knows where I am when it starts and won't track, or can't find where I am, when Ozi is working fine), music "glitches" regularly, the reverse camera takes an age to come up. Then it got corrupted software, so Joying sent me a system update that fixed the corruption, changed wallpapers and some apps, but performance isn't any better.

When this one also falls over (I don't think they like dust or corrugations, and my NT sees its share of both) I'd like to try a different brand.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I brought and fitted a DigOptions one in 2012. Car has been up the Cape a couple of times, Simson and Finke and have not had any problems with it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
When this one also falls over (I don't think they like dust or corrugations, and my NT sees its share of both) I'd like to try a different brand.

I went down this track 5 years ago and my research showed that most of what was available came from two factories, one in the East of China and one in Guangdong. Everything is just rebranded according to a buyer's wishes and small changes are made to differentiate the brands. The Guangdong factory's quality was decidedly better and they actually made the DigOptions unit, which I bought.

A third possibility was Eonon which is almost like the Alpine of Chinese car sound... well not quite, but kinda. Sound quality was orders of magnitude better but their hardware left something to be desired in the terms of durability that you describe.

I haven't done the same degree of research this time around but a quick look around seems to indicate that not much has changed. For this reason I've decided to go the PC based route using a hardened USSF PC for "grunt" set up like a Rasperry Pi using an SSD and a separate GPIO to facilitate connection to the various ancillaries. The problem with just Raspberry Pi (or most SBCs) is reliance on USB connections which ultimately either shake loose or lose contact. So these will all be hardwired. It's a long term project but, without any moving parts and properly housed, should solve the problem. The big plus is that I can run a 10.5" touch screen which will be easy to read and operate.
Old 1 Week Ago

Default Dig options

Thanks for the replies.
I was starting to think I was too picky, but there are just a few things that are annoying with this unit (Roadmaster).
First it would not keep correct time.
They did a software upgrade which resulted in the sound not coming on if you happened to be in reverse when it FINALLY booted.
Also the sound may just increase or decrease by itself at any old time which can be a little startling.
Music from an SD card keeps getting intermittent breaks in the songs at a couple of minute intervals, so I burnt a couple of DVD's to try and solve that, but instead of just a break the songs actually stop altogether, sometimes 3 times in one song.
The player certainly does not like music DVD's that have been modified with a sound editor to even out the volume across the disc.
Won't even recognise the disc.
The USB connection has the same problem as the SD card. It's as though the processor can't keep up or the streaming is out of wack.
Still can't work out why the thing has to boot up to listen to the radio.
Couldn't that be on a separate circuit, and boot up the computer if needed?
If away from the car for more than ten minutes (hulloo?), the damn thing has to boot up again!
Wish I had got a name brand from a store, where I could have checked the player out, and more easily have taken it back if any problems.
Will have a tough time with the Minister for Finance to get something else, particularly as I will have to get rid of this first!
Thanks for listening.

Greg.

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
What brand is yours? I'm on my second Joying (the first one died after 13 months) and the experience with this one hasn't been good. Google Maps is hit & miss as to whether it works properly (either knows where I am when it starts and won't track, or can't find where I am, when Ozi is working fine), music "glitches" regularly, the reverse camera takes an age to come up. Then it got corrupted software, so Joying sent me a system update that fixed the corruption, changed wallpapers and some apps, but performance isn't any better.

Mines also a Joying brand. I need to try and reinstall the OS, it's not been happy since I flattened the battery, reboots a bit.