• Show
Clear All
  • vladguan
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Adelaide

key fob/remote battery replacement

Hi All,

Need to change the battery in the remote. How do I remove the inner cover? There is an arrow pointing to one end and I tried to slide it but it won't budge. Also, why did they decide to use CR1616 batteries and not more commonly available ones>

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Please call me Vlad.
    -----------------------
    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.
  • paceman
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Mackay

not sure what the NX key looks like, but my key (NT pajero) with just the unlock/lock button (non-flip) was opened by unscrewing the one screw at the end of the key, split open the outer casing (using a flat screwdriver near where the screw is), then at one corner of the inner unit, there was a section where you could use a flat screwdriver to pry the inner unit open.

didn't have to slide anything, on the inner or outer casing.

but your key might be different to mine...

i just went through this and replaced the batteries in both my keys, with no issue. my local jaycar had plenty of the CR1616 batteries available, for a couple of dollars each...
    Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
      Hi All,

Need to change the battery in the remote. How do I remove the inner cover? There is an arrow pointing to one end and I tried to slide it but it won't budge. Also, why did they decide to use CR1616 batteries and not more commonly available ones>

Cheers,
      Vlad
      If it looks like the photos on this link, dare say your key will be the same, and here is how it is done.
      What a pleasure! R30 for a CR1616 battery from the jeweler, and all sorted in about 2 minutes.. Remove small screw: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=193840&stc=1&d=1360320382 I used the smallest jewelers phillips screwdriver: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=193841&stc=1&d=1360320382 Pop the cover off:
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

Nice! thanks for that
        BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Buggered if I can open that inner compartment and I don't want to break it by forcing it.

Any clues or pics ?

5 min later....It's OK, got it !
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Same arrangement for the NW Pajero I have, and also the ZJ Oultlander my wife has. I had a new battery put in the Outie key and it didn't work. Eventually it would fire up but often it took over a minute of trying. Took the key back to teh battery place and they replaced the battery again. All good now. The dud battery was measuring 3.05 volts, so it should have been OK, but I guess there was some internal resistance which choked the current flow when the buttons were pressed.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

I've been having a lot of trouble using the remote to unlock the car, mainly on a cold morning so I hope the new battery will fix it.

I took out the old battery and left it in the kitchen, went to open the car with the key which was OK but the Paj would turn over but not fire. It must have some extra detection in the key electronics as well as being a remote opener.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

" It must have some extra detection in the key electronics as well as being a remote opener."

That would be right. The module which comes out of the key handle almost certainly contains some electronics which the immobiliser senses when the key is inserted into the ignition lock. There are no other electronics in the key handle, so the immobiliser bits must be in the module.

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

Alot of systems use 3 factor authentication. Key transponder. Bcm and steering column. One mismatch and there goes your day

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Seigried; 24-10-19, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

At the times when my remote doesn't work and I have to use the key, the alarm goes off unless I immediately turn on the ignition. I didn't even know the thing had an alarm until that happened. I knew it had an immobiliser though.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

We have a spare spare key. It only unlocks the door with the key function, yes the alarm goes off but stops when the key is inserted in the ignition. The key has a chip in it programmed to start the pajero. Cost was bugger all compared to the full genuine key from MM but can't recall the price.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X