• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RevRev
    • Aug 2014
    • Melbourne

03 NP ABS - does it work in reverse

Should my ABS on my 03 NP work at low speed in reverse?

This might be a general question to learn about the function of ABS but I have recently moved to a house with a steep driveway. I notice that sometimes turning to back onto the driveway a wheel on gravel will lock and slide as i move down.
    Yesterday the car was heavily loaded with firewood and I reversed a distance down a wet, slick concrete road and found I started losing traction, locking wheels and sliding.

I didn't test it out by coming back down forwards but my tests of ABS from a higher speed indicate the ABS is working at speed driving forwards, but Ive never thought to test it in reverse.

Wisdom of the group welcomed!
  • nnikbg
    • Mar 2019
    • Varna, Bulgaria

If you drive less than 10 km/h, ABS is off

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Having Fun
      • Jun 2015
      • Adelaide

When we 1st bought our petrol NP, we took it up to the Flinders & amongst other things, took it out to Jarvis Hill lookout; all good on the way up going forwards. Not so good on the way down, also going forwards!

It was in low range, 1st gear on sports shift & because it's a petrol, next to no engine brakes. It kept running away & every time the brakes were applied, it locked up. Not great on a steep, loose gravel descent! Pretty scary really!

The ABS works normally on flat sealed roads though lol.

Comment

• El_Freddo
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2018
        • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
        It kept running away & every time the brakes were applied, it locked up. Not great on a steep, loose gravel descent! Pretty scary really!
        If ABS was activated it would be a whole lot more scary - almost like not having brakes!

Cheers

Bennie
        2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

ABS will only work if there is sufficient vehicle speed, the speed at which it works from is dependent on the vehicle's ABS ECU program and could be between 5kph and 30kph.

Some vehicle have hill descent control which is designed to basically work as a low speed ABS, the HDFC fitted Landrovers is particularly effective.

If you are descending a steep slippery slope then a partial application of the hand brake can lessen the amount of foot braking required so you are less likely to lockup the front wheels. Reduced tyre pressures will also assist. If the front wheels do lock up then you need to reduce foot brake pressure, this can be difficult to do but it is required because a wheel that is slipping has lost its steering control.

On any descent speed/momentum is your enemy so when you have the opportunity to reduce speed it is a good idea to do so.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Having Fun
            • Jun 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            ABS will only work if there is sufficient vehicle speed, the speed at which it works from is dependent on the vehicle's ABS ECU program and could be between 5kph and 30kph.

Some vehicle have hill descent control which is designed to basically work as a low speed ABS, the HDFC fitted Landrovers is particularly effective.

If you are descending a steep slippery slope then a partial application of the hand brake can lessen the amount of foot braking required so you are less likely to lockup the front wheels. Reduced tyre pressures will also assist. If the front wheels do lock up then you need to reduce foot brake pressure, this can be difficult to do but it is required because a wheel that is slipping has lost its steering control.

On any descent speed/momentum is your enemy so when you have the opportunity to reduce speed it is a good idea to do so.

OJ.

It was Jarvis Hill Lookout. Hardly extreme four wheel driving.

I'd happily take a 2WD sedan up there on a dry day!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X