• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom corr
    • Feb 2020
    • tasmania

Gearbox compatibility GEN 1

Hello all, first post, just wondering if anyone can help here,
    have a noisy gear box in my NG and have a question on gen 1 drive-train compatibility,
    is the 5 speed manual gearbox and transfer case from a 1989 4cyl the same as the 5 speed manual gearbox in the 1990 NG 6cyl, are they interchangeable
    any info will be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

No, gearbox behind 4cyl was quite small and problematic, based on Sigma 'box with transfer case adapted to it.
    But gearbox from Gen 2 V6 will probably be same as Gen 1 V6 'box.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by pharb View Post
      No, gearbox behind 4cyl was quite small and problematic, based on Sigma 'box with transfer case adapted to it.
      But gearbox from Gen 2 V6 will probably be same as Gen 1 V6 'box.
      Edit - I have assumed you have noisey 'box in a V6.

If it is actually a 4cyl try some research on what 'boxes were used in Gen 2 4 cylinder Paj's, or MH Triton's.
      Or even mid '90s Ford Couriers or Mazda Bravo's which from memory used a fuel injected version of the Astron 2 engine.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• tom corr
        • Feb 2020
        • tasmania

Thanks pharb, puts me in the picture, my bus is a 1990 ng 3lt v6 lwb wagon with rear drums and torsion bar suspension, the last of 'the square jobs' i would think.
        From what you have mentioned, I most probably need mechanical parts from 90,91,92,93 3lt v6 manual and body parts from the earlier models.
        Do like this little bus, haven't had her long, with its butterfly windows and so on, may need to purchases 2 parts-cars then, (thinking out loud)
        could lead to death by Miss.
        Last edited by tom corr; 16-03-20, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X