• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kumabear
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2013
    • Sydney, Macarther Region

Northstar NSB-27F AGM battery

Hey, thought I would do a bit of a running review of this battery.

My former Optima yellow top D27F died after 4 and a half years of abuse.
    Between the cracked negative terminal I didn't notice for months, winching so hard I flattened it with the engine running and the sound system that can draw up to 80a at full song during big base hits I think it did okay to keep going.

My quest to find the most powerful replacement that would fit in the factory mounting position lead.. (haha) me to Northstar batteries.
    From the Spec they really did seem to be a cut above the rest at least for my use as a cranking/winching/sound system/air compressor general battery.

The specs on this beast are:

930CCA / 1080MCA
    91 AH
    Case Size: 27F
    Warranty for domestic use : 5 Years

The specs above are far higher than any other 27F Sized battery that I was able to find, and are even higher than the Optima D31 which is a full case size bigger.

Its claimed that they are able to achieve this because they use 100% "virgin" 99.99% pure lead and not lead alloys / recycled lead. I have no idea if this is just a marketing spiel or what the deal is but from the performance so far I have no reason to doubt the specs on the sticker.

So far I have to say the Paj is cranking/starting at least twice as fast and with a much healthier tone even when compared to the yellow top when it was new, in fact it sounds like a completely different motor, absolutely eager to get going in the morning.

I also get absolutely no head light dimming on big bass hits which was still an issue for me with the yellow top.

Battery is charging at a solid 14.2V on my multi-meter at idle which is 0.2V higher than the yellow top ever managed.

Will probably update this as I go along.
    2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
  • flyboy
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2017
    • SA

This thing looks like a beast.

CCA and Ah ratings do not necessarily equate to build quality or longevity. But weight nearly always does in lead batteries.

This thing is 6-7 kilograms heavier than an Optima Yellow 27F. I imagine if you keep it cool and don’t discharge it heavily you should get close to 10 years out of it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X