• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gromit
    • Dec 2007
    • Whyalla, South Australia

Injector Solenoid Seal and oil leak

I recently had my 60k service and had the tappets done (diesel). No issues except I noticed that there are now oil spots on my new driveway (none before this).
    When I checked there was oil in all of the concave areas around the injectors, which I am hoping is more from sloppy workmanship (although that's a devil of another sort) rather than an oil leak. After cleaning it up as best I could I noticed while running the engine and watching with a torch that the rubber seal around the solenoids where the cable is (above the injectors) was moving all over the place - vibrating. Is this normal? I am no diesel mechanic but it just didn't seem right. My manual doesn't say anything about it and I can't find anything on the net. Next step is to go back to the dealer but I don't want to if I don't have to.
    Gromit ***********************************

White NS Manual LWB - Lotsa bits - more wanted
  • bige
    • Apr 2010

The injector seals have not been instslled properly in the rocker cover
    and have popped out
    take it back to whoever done the job to reinstall the seals and degrease
    the oil leaks

Comment

• Gromit
      • Dec 2007
      • Whyalla, South Australia

Thanks Bige. I will take it back to them.
      I have been back out and had a good look with a torch. I see exactly what you mean.
      I have been on a 100k dirt trip since getting the service - hopefully no crap got back in
      to the top of the motor as I can see that the seals are just sitting there!
      Last edited by Gromit; 03-02-12, 07:36 PM.
      Gromit ***********************************

White NS Manual LWB - Lotsa bits - more wanted

Comment

• Braaberg
        • Jul 2015
        • Vänersborg, Sweden

I have the same issue, the injector solenoid seals have popped out. The previous owner had the engine replaced and they've probably failed to install the seals correct. Now i need to reinstall them myself.

Does anyone know the procedure? Should i just push em down through the rocker cover or do i need to remove the rocker cover and install the seals first and then the rocker cover over it?

Ive already tried to gently push em down again but it isnt enough as they pop up again after a while driving.

Comment

• Wileyfox
          • Feb 2012
          • Kingaroy

I discovered a similar oil leak from some of my seals last week and thought it might be due to restriction in the catch can I installed after I did a manifold clean 6 months ago causing the tappet cover to pressurise. However I removed the filter and after 200+ Km the leak is still there. Maybe I dislodged the seals slightly when reinstating the tappet cover. They are not loose so I am going to make a tool to see if I can press them down a bit.

Comment

• Wileyfox
            • Feb 2012
            • Kingaroy

Job done, used a piece of 1" PVC conduit with part of the side cut out to clear the fuel lines. Gentle tapping round the diameter of the seals and now done 200km+ and no oil visible.

Comment

• 1_johnboy
              • Sep 2012
              • Gippsland

sorry guys, interested. Where exactly is the solenoid you are speaking of?

Comment

• Wileyfox
                • Feb 2012
                • Kingaroy

There is seals on the solenoids that control the injectors located at the top of the tappet cover. There is also seals on the side of the Tappet cover where the fuel lines enter the injectors.

Comment

• Ron416
                  • Feb 2020
                  • Sydney

Hi all,

I know this is reviving an old thread, but I've got this issue in a 2010 PB Challenger.

The previous owner had the too end rebuilt in November 2019 and now there's oil pooling at the base of the 1st injector solenoid and seems to be running down the rear of the block and dripping on the ground.

Link to video here http://imgur.com/a/psTGMpU

My basic knowledge tells me that there shouldn't be any oil pushing up past the injector seals. Can anyone elaborate as to what's happening exactly?

Are there any recommendations for DIY fixes I can do in the driveway with basic tools?

P.S. A ryco catch can was fitted several days after I purchased the vehicle (March) Could this be pressurising the crankcase and damaging a seal?

Thanks heaps!

Comment

• Seigried
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2016
                    • brisbane

From your video it looks like the oil seals have perished. If im right they will need to be replaced. If it something else injector related the rocker cover will probably need to come off. In which case i'd still do the oil seals as a precaution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• bige
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Ron416 View Post
                      Hi all,

I know this is reviving an old thread, but I've got this issue in a 2010 PB Challenger.

The previous owner had the too end rebuilt in November 2019 and now there's oil pooling at the base of the 1st injector solenoid and seems to be running down the rear of the block and dripping on the ground.

Link to video here http://imgur.com/a/psTGMpU

My basic knowledge tells me that there shouldn't be any oil pushing up past the injector seals. Can anyone elaborate as to what's happening exactly?

Are there any recommendations for DIY fixes I can do in the driveway with basic tools?

P.S. A ryco catch can was fitted several days after I purchased the vehicle (March) Could this be pressurising the crankcase and damaging a seal?

Thanks heaps!
                      looking at the video the injector seals have been installed upside down .
                      will need inlet manifold removing and replace the seals the correct way up
                      if it was me i would be doing the hole lot again and checking the valve clearance aswell

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Victoria

Originally posted by bige View Post
                        looking at the video the injector seals have been installed upside down .
                        will need inlet manifold removing and replace the seals the correct way up
                        if it was me i would be doing the hole lot again and checking the valve clearance aswell

Didnt notice that at first LOL
                        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X