Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Commercial Advertisers > Commercial Advertisers > MM 4X4

MM 4X4 Affordable Vehicle Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
TC.Barky's Avatar
TC.Barky TC.Barky is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll add a warning into the manual.


Yes, but you'll also get that same rough shift as the 'quirk' happens as you slow through 30kph.


Yes - turning it off in circumstances that cause you a problem is the right approach.



The problem is using a lockup-kit causes the transmission ECU to think there might be a fault, so even in factory mode, the quirk will happen, regardless of whether or not the TCCis locked.
The way around the quirk is to move to Drive...but as you say, this has the effect of changing up a gear and reducing engine braking.

I guess it's a choice between the lesser of the two evils. Which is better depends on your driving situation.

No patches needed. I already have that feature. You can turn off the 'avoid quirk' when in Sport mode. This essentially leaves it in Sport when below 30kph. Operation manual has the details. Here's an extract.

Toggle avoiding the 1th gear quirks
(SPORT mode, high range 4WD ONLY) - Pajero NT+ ONLY

Push and hold the LED for ~3 seconds to toggle this mode.
LED will flash twice to acknowledge toggling the mode.
To avoid the 1st gear quirk, the transmission is placed into DRIVE when below 30 kph.
When ON (default) auto-mate does this for you automatically. Once you go above 30kph it will to switch to SPORT mode.
When OFF, the transmission will remain in Sport mode, but the quirks may be experienced.
NOTE: If you are stationary (or < 30kph) and you move the switch lever to SPORT, it will display D until you're above 30kph after which it will display the gear number. This is normal. When driving in SPORT mode itís better to know which mode the transmission is currently in, and the D/gear # provides this feedback to the driver.
If you turn it OFF moving to SPORT will display the gear number immediately.

Ha bugger me my memory is like a sieve I totally forgot that was an option *facepalm* sorry to waste you time.
__________________
MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
miniyazz miniyazz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alice Springs
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Hi miniyazz,
Yes, I had this problem during testing and thought I'd fixed it.
auto-mate has the feature to also work with shift paddles to automatically switch to sport mode if one is pressed. The only way auto-mate knows of the paddles have been pushed is if it detects a gear change that auto-mate didn't command. However, the logic around the 30kph switch point from Drive to Sport is very complex. auto-mate needs to use a time window to 'ignore' any uncommanded gear change as it goes from Drive to Sport because at the switch point, the transmission may still be in the middle of gear change (which automate doesn't know about).

It's possible this time delay is not quite long enough.

The result would be auto-mate incorrectly thinking a paddle had been pressed and switching into Sport mode, hence now being stuck in 2nd gear.
Yes, moving from D to Sport back to D is the way to exit sport mode.

How often is this happening to you?
Not often, maybe once a month. Thanks for the explanation.

Is it possible for automate to display the gear number in low range, drive mode? I know it's not operating then but off-road is a time it would be useful to see at a glance.

Ta
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old Paj Old Paj is offline
Pajero Club Life Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Heathcote, Vic
Posts: 298
Default Auto Mate

So far very impressed with how well Auto Mate works at the defaults.

Fiitted the Auto Mate (Or more accurately my auto elec did) 28 Feb 19.

First impressions , was very pleased, 300Km return trip down to Little River (Eagle Park) seemed to use approximately 1/3 less fuel from pre-install.

On refill it appears that it is more about 2lt less per 100km.

As the Pajero is not the primary use vehicle, longer term needs to be assessed, but so far I must admit I love it.

Noting my usage is ALL country driving over hill and dale and normally setting the cruise to a true 100Kph against the GPS.

Also further testing with towing remains to be seen.
__________________
NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
m_and_m's Avatar
m_and_m m_and_m is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
Not often, maybe once a month. Thanks for the explanation.

Is it possible for automate to display the gear number in low range, drive mode? I know it's not operating then but off-road is a time it would be useful to see at a glance.

Ta
Technically possible to display the gear number in low-range, yes, but I chose not to. In low range, auto-mate only locks the torque converter when in SPORT mode. In Drive the factory computer is in charge. I chose not to display the number, as this tells the driver when auto-mate is on or off.

The factory computer does a terrible job controlling the gears when on low-range DRIVE. The right programming is very dependent on the conditions. This is why modern cars let you choose snow, dirt, sand etc. The 'default' used by factory seems to use 3rd all the time and even on very steep slopes it prefers to slip the torque converter, rather than changing into 1st gear. This causes transmission temps to skyrocket very quickly.

I really recommend anyone who's using low range to so in SPORT mode. auto-mate will lock the torque converter when in SPORT position to reduce trans temps.
__________________
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread here

Checkout my products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available to order
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
m_and_m's Avatar
m_and_m m_and_m is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paj View Post
So far very impressed with how well Auto Mate works at the defaults.

Fiitted the Auto Mate (Or more accurately my auto elec did) 28 Feb 19.

First impressions , was very pleased, 300Km return trip down to Little River (Eagle Park) seemed to use approximately 1/3 less fuel from pre-install.

On refill it appears that it is more about 2lt less per 100km.

As the Pajero is not the primary use vehicle, longer term needs to be assessed, but so far I must admit I love it.

Noting my usage is ALL country driving over hill and dale and normally setting the cruise to a true 100Kph against the GPS.

Also further testing with towing remains to be seen.
Thanks Old Paj - happy to hear you love it
All country driving in undulating or windy conditions is where you'd get the optimum fuel savings.

I personally haven't had a good opportunity assess the fuel savings, because I'm forever 'in development testing' and using the car in an inconsistent way. Where I have though, my daily drive to work goes from around 9.5-10.5 down to 8.0-9.0 (best is 7.5 if I get many green lights). I cant say I've seen this improvement at the bowser, though because I waste a lot of fuel during testing.

Getting 2L less is impressive. What economy was it before? ie 2L/100km less than about what?

Keen to get anyone else's 'longer term' results too.
__________________
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread here

Checkout my products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available to order
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
miniyazz miniyazz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alice Springs
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Technically possible to display the gear number in low-range, yes, but I chose not to. In low range, auto-mate only locks the torque converter when in SPORT mode. In Drive the factory computer is in charge. I chose not to display the number, as this tells the driver when auto-mate is on or off.

The factory computer does a terrible job controlling the gears when on low-range DRIVE. The right programming is very dependent on the conditions. This is why modern cars let you choose snow, dirt, sand etc. The 'default' used by factory seems to use 3rd all the time and even on very steep slopes it prefers to slip the torque converter, rather than changing into 1st gear. This causes transmission temps to skyrocket very quickly.

I really recommend anyone who's using low range to so in SPORT mode. auto-mate will lock the torque converter when in SPORT position to reduce trans temps.
I thought it was best not to keep the torque converter locked so much in slow off-road due to increased drivetrain shocks when e.g. lifting wheels off the ground?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
m_and_m's Avatar
m_and_m m_and_m is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
I thought it was best not to keep the torque converter locked so much in slow off-road due to increased drivetrain shocks when e.g. lifting wheels off the ground?

Thanks
Yes, correct. But you need to be unlocked in 1st or 2nd, which means using Sport mode to ensure the right gear is used. Drive in 4Llc will most sit in 3rd and then get hotter much faster.
I only lockup in 4Llc when I need to manage trans temps, such a long steep climbs or sand. (Or in a Challenger to get better engine braking)
__________________
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread here

Checkout my products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available to order
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 1 Week Ago
bill65 bill65 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: melton
Posts: 89
Default Auto mate

I have had auto mate for a little while now. It works well on the hills I donít see any low fuel economy without towing. On the western highway up through Bacchus Marsh it will stay in 5th lock I use to drop to 4 gear in sports mode to keep temps down.Next week I will see towing the van.this is why I got one for towing.big thanks to Marshall for it
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 5 Days Ago
m_and_m's Avatar
m_and_m m_and_m is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide
Posts: 1,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill65 View Post
I have had auto mate for a little while now. It works well on the hills I donít see any low fuel economy without towing. On the western highway up through Bacchus Marsh it will stay in 5th lock I use to drop to 4 gear in sports mode to keep temps down.Next week I will see towing the van.this is why I got one for towing.big thanks to Marshall for it
Thanks Bill.
Fuel savings are realised when auto-mate is locking the torque converter when the factory computer doesnít.
This is highly dependent on your driving conditions. So around town it really depends on your daily commute. I get about a 5% in town. But when towing it shines because the factory computer rarely locks up and I get 10%+ saving. Hence auto-mate keeps the transmission cooler while saving fuel too.
__________________
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread here

Checkout my products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available to order
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 4 Days Ago
Old Paj Old Paj is offline
Pajero Club Life Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Heathcote, Vic
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Thanks Old Paj - happy to hear you love it
All country driving in undulating or windy conditions is where you'd get the optimum fuel savings.

I personally haven't had a good opportunity assess the fuel savings, because I'm forever 'in development testing' and using the car in an inconsistent way. Where I have though, my daily drive to work goes from around 9.5-10.5 down to 8.0-9.0 (best is 7.5 if I get many green lights). I cant say I've seen this improvement at the bowser, though because I waste a lot of fuel during testing.

Getting 2L less is impressive. What economy was it before? ie 2L/100km less than about what?

Keen to get anyone else's 'longer term' results too.
Sorry about the delay in replying,

I would have to revise that now, it is more like about 1.5lt/100km from 11.48 (averaged over 60,000km) down to 10.02 (but only over two tanks of fuel so far) with like driving conditions.

Will see how it goes towing in early May, though it is only out to Bright.
__________________
NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
torque converter lock up plucka46 Generation 2 Pajero 0 22-09-17 09:51 PM
Torque Converter Lock Up Boonybabe PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 22 19-01-17 05:26 PM
Torque converter lock Fatwilliam Generation 4-4 Pajero 22 07-11-15 06:56 AM
Torque Converter Lock Up GOBO Generation 4-2 Pajero 8 05-10-11 01:52 PM
Lock up Torque Converter capemanifold Generation 4-1 Pajero 1 22-04-08 11:05 AM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.