Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 30-08-16

Dragging this topic back to the top but I saw this video that depicts what old jack is describing very well. Well more the effects on how a trailer is loaded and what effect that has on the tow vechiles handling. But still worth a watch. https://www.facebook.com/63298759684...3177227491383/
Old 01-09-16
Valued Member

Old Jack

Stumbled across this excel spreadsheet on caravan forum which thought may prove useful.

Works to calculate impact of ball weight on front and rear axles. Allows input for wheelbase etc.

Reference: http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=65150

Hill

Last edited by Hill; 25-03-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-09-16

https://m.youtube.com/watch?annotati...&v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

Came across this vid in my research on wdh vs airbags and found the maths pretty interesting
Old 03-09-16

Thanks OJ, I found your explanation of the weight distribution most informative. Being a caravanner, towing a 2500kg ATM, 21 foot van behind an NT Paj, I find the use of a WDH imperative. Although a dual axle with a very light ball load (unloaded) I find that once the van is loaded and hitched to the vehicle, the back of the Paj does go down quite a bit, making it a bugger to drive. Once the WDH is fitted, and sway control (in my case) the rig levels up nicely and makes it quite pleasurable to drive. I don't overload the WDH bars but I've just gotta hope that those welds on the tow bar have been done correctly. Will go out this morning and look for any visual signs of fatigue.
Old 22-01-19

Very interesting post.
I have prepared a spreadsheet for our new Paj Sport.
For now I have put 55%, 45% as axle load shjares at tare.
Would like to be more accurate, and wondering if you or any poster can oblige.
Regards,
Denis
Old 22-01-19
Valued Member

Hi Denis,

Only way to know 100% accurate is to weigh the front and rear axles on a weigh bridge or with wheel scales.
Service Manual states tare is between 2085kg and 2100kg depending on factory options, without dealer fitted accessories or a full tank of fuel, I do not think this covers the 7 seater either. Your Owners Handbook will have your tare weight in the specifications section. I seem to recall the PS front axle weight with a factory nudge bar was around the 1100kg so 50% to 53% as an estimate.

If you PM "Mundy 55" he has a great spread sheet where you add your data in and it calculates axle loads and weight distribution for vehicle and trailer/caravan. He has posted it but I cannot find the link.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 02-03-19

(Mr.) OJ

I came across your post on this in a search on WDH's. Thanks for a comprehensive explanation.

I'm just in the process of going from a camper trailer, about 1400kg ATM, to a van, possibly about 2300-2400ATM. Obviously I am going to use a WDH with this heavier tow load, and I've done all calculations and am happy to be well within all weight limits of vehicle, trailer, and combination.

However, I just can't get my head around a final concept:-

Let's say trailer has an ATM of 2,200kg, made up of a combination of 2,000kg GTM, and 200kg ball weight. Now I fit a WDH, which effectively transfers some of the ball weight back to the trailer axles.
If I have the van fully loaded with water tanks full, etc. and am at my limit of 2,200 ATM prior to use of the WDH, does this effectively mean I will now exceed the trailer's GTM, when that extra mass is transferred to the trailer's wheels.

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I am just trying have a full understanding of all potential limits and complications prior to making any final decisions on vans. Can safely say that I won't get a sensible answer from a caravan salesman.

Thanks in advance for any reply, many of your posts have been a source of valuable information to me over the years.

Paul
Old 02-03-19
Valued Member

I'll chip in here and let you know that when I weighed my set up with the WDH off and then on, it transferred 160kg off the rear axle. 100kg went to the front wheels and 60kg to the van wheels (single axle). Depending on how tight you pull the hitch, that's the sort of difference it can make.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 02-03-19
Valued Member

Ideally the WDH should be adjusted so that all the weight transferred off the front axle is returned back to the front axle, at the same time some of the towball weight will be transferred back to the trailer axle. Best way to gauge this is measure the front EBH ride height from centre of hub to under wheel arch in a vertical line before the towball load is applied then once the towball load is applied adjust the WDH so the front axle EBH returns back to the unhitched height. Too many people put excessive loads on their WDH to compensate for weak rear coils, all this does is put extra load on the towbar, it's attachment to the vehicle and the trailer coupling.
You do not need fancy scales just a tape measure!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Last edited by old Jack; 18-04-19 at 10:09 PM.
Old 28-03-19

Thanks Ian for the reply, that was pretty much what I was after.

Thanks OJ, yeah that's how I have set up a WDH on a previous vehicle, just measuring front ride height before and after hitching.