Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019

Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019 The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 04-06-19

Default Does Pajero Sport have the same issue as the Pajero (requiring airbags) when towing

Hello,

I used to own a NW Pajero, which had aftermarket OME suspension and airbags in the rear coils.

I believe the suspension type on that Pajero used to suffer from the rear inner or outer tyres wearing out and could be solved by running airbags in the rear coils, when towing heavy loads.

Our caravan has a measured towball weight of about 220kgs.

My question is, does the Pajero Sport suffer from the same issue, or because it has a different suspension type (or is it axle), not suffer and I don't need to consider airbags at this time.

Our Pajero Sport has quite expensive (to me) tyres (BFG T/A KO2) and I don't want to stuff them up. Still running standard suspension at this stage, but considering upgrading for better towing ability (although currently using a WDH) and ground clearance.

If there is a difference between Pajero and Pajero sport needing and not needing the airbags, can you please educate me as to why so I can try to understand further.

Thought I should double check this.

Thank you!

Last edited by jared01; 04-06-19 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-06-19
Resident

Good question!

Pajero is much more sensitive to ride height, because the independent rear suspesion causes the camber of the rear wheels to change as the suspension compresses i.e. they go from | | to / \. This causes the inside edges to wear, as you noted.

Pajero Sport has a solid rear axle, so the wheels stay square to each other as the axle moves relative to the body, so camber change isn't an issue.

Either vehicle will still compress the rear suspension when the 220kg ball load is put on the tow bar, potentially leading to a "nose up" attitude. If your Pajero Sport sinks too much at the rear then air bags might help to keep it level, but it should be much easier to find the right spring to suit your needs without air bags - and OJ is the expert when it comes to that!

So - no, you don't necessarily need airbags to save your expensive tyres, but that doesn't mean you can't improve your suspension - either with air bags, or with new springs.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 04-06-19
Valued Member

I'm not sure why you'd want air bags when you have a WDH, in which case they aren't needed.

The WDH will basically take weight off the rear axle to the point where it's the same as if there was no van attached. Keep in mind, a WDH doesn't alter the fact that there's a ball weight, it just transfers a good portion of the weight on the rear axle to the front axle and some back to the caravan.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 04-06-19
Administrator

Hi Jared,

The Pajero Sport has a live rear axle with trailing arm and coil suspension so it does not have the same change in wheel alignment issues that the independent suspension of the Gen 3 & 4 Pajero's have so no need to worry about uneven tyre wear when loaded.

The Pajero Sport has the same suspension as the Challenger, therefore the rear coils are very soft and do not carry weight very well. A common upgrade us to fit replacement rear coils and keep the standard front suspension, the replacement rear coils add a little firmness to the empty ride but stops rear end from wallowing and pitching when loaded. Fitting a set of King Progressive Rate rear coils KCRS-23 and replacing the standard rubber cone springs,that assist the coils in deep compression, is a better alternative than fitting airbags in my opinion. Replacement rubber cone springs are Peddar PN 5899. This is a tried and proven combination on both the Challenger and Pajero Sport.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 04-06-19

Hi Jared,

Technically, no, you will not need airbags to prevent rear tyres scrubbing because there is no camber movement with a live axle. As to whether or not you need airbags for towing, well that's another story. There are a few schools of thought here. Personally I do not believe the factory suspension is up to towing a ball weight over 150kg, although there are some that would disagree. There are those that have installed airbags in standard suspension to stop it sagging. Others have upgraded the suspension and added airbags as well. Me personally I don't like airbags for towing as they lever extra weight from the trailer to the rear axle while making the front axle lighter. I'd prefer to upgade the rear suspension and use a WDH to distribute the extra trailer weight towards the front axle. This is just my personal opinion and as I said there would be many that would argue differently.
Old 04-06-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2503 View Post
Hi Jared,
I don't like airbags for towing as they lever extra weight from the trailer to the rear axle while making the front axle lighter.
I'm a bit confused by that statement. What do you mean by lever extra weight ?

As far as i know, all airbags do is change the spring rating and stiffen them up but do nothing about shifting any weight to or from the rear axle.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 04-06-19

How do rear airbags transfer weight to the front axle??
Old 04-06-19
Valued Member

They don't.
Old 04-06-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
I'm confused too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul NT View Post
How do rear airbags transfer weight to the front axle??
They don't. Rear airbags alter the effective spring rate of the coil spring - more pressure = higher rate, reducing the sag from the ball weight.

With high ball weight, engough weight can be transferred from the front axle to have negative impacts on steering. A weight distribution hitch can transfer weight back to the front axle, helping to counter the effect.

Airbags don't do this.

Edit: Ian beat me to it!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 04-06-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post

As far as i know, all airbags do is change the spring rating and stiffen them up but do nothing about shifting any weight to or from the rear axle.
I think just wrong choice of words to describe how more weight comes off front axle, compared to using WDH instead of airbags.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.