Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 14-10-15

Default Service schedules for 2002 NM Exceed

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy a Pajero and have short listed two 2002 NM Exceed (Patrol) models. I'll be making a decision by the coming weekend. One has 186k on it with no maintenance history records while the other has 236k with updated maintenance records. My heart says to go for the one with the higher mileage (like the grand blue paint as well). This is going to be my first 4x4.

I have a couple of questions; one is at what intervals does the timing belt kit and water pump need replacing (guess its every 100k) and what's would the estimated cost of this job be?

Thanks.
Old 14-10-15

Hi uditha
Welcome aboard...there are a lot very helpful and friendly people at this forum.
You have guessed right, it is 100,000 k for the timing belt.Most people choose to get the water pump done at the same time as this can save both time and money if the pump should fail shortly after having the belt done. If your log book shows that this has been done already it may not be necessary at this time. Check that the plugs have been done and if not consider having them replaced ....check the rocker box gaskets and plug tube seals for oil leaks as they harden and shrink over time....it's a common problem on these engines.
If you need to get the work done professionally, make sure you get more than a few quotes, the costs quoted in past posts vary greatly.....

Last edited by bazzle; 14-10-15 at 02:15 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 14-10-15
Valued Member

go for the lower K vehicle and have it fully serviced. full service including timing belt kit / etc and sparkplugs would be no more than $2000.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 14-10-15
Valued Member

This is may also be of interest

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=48818
Old 14-10-15
Valued Member

Hi Uditha

Welcome to the forum.

It always worries me when a vehicle with relatively low k's doesn't have a service record - could it be there were more services than the clock shows ?

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 16-10-15
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978

get the higher km one..

best to get their first thing with someone and watch the exhaust as they start the car.. also stand on the side of the road and have them pull off as fast as they can and watch the smoke from the exhaust.

now once warm stand in the rear and watch the exhaust and then have someone rev a petrol engine to a 4,000rpm and hold it there for 30 seconds. for a diesel its 3,500rpm. then after 30 seconds release the throttle and you will see any smoke if the engine has been hurt, also any additives are ineffective when doing this.

blue=oil being burnt
white=water, or cylinder glazing
black=unburnt fuel in the exhaust

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Old 19-10-15

Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice. I bought the one with the higher mileage on Yesterday. Drive home was 1K Kms . Good stable vehicle. Love the seating position. Will be taking it to a mechanic to replace oil and filters and a checkup. Await more questions .
Thanks again
Old 19-10-15
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditha View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice. I bought the one with the higher mileage on Yesterday. Drive home was 1K Kms . Good stable vehicle. Love the seating position. Will be taking it to a mechanic to replace oil and filters and a checkup. Await more questions .
Thanks again
1000km drive home? or was it a 1km drive home....also place any vehicle particulars in your signature please.. stops people asking make, model, year etc each time you have a problem..

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Old 19-10-15

Thanks EasyKill for the tip.

Yes it was a 1000Km drive home.
Old 19-10-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
Hi Uditha

Welcome to the forum.

It always worries me when a vehicle with relatively low k's doesn't have a service record - could it be there were more services than the clock shows ?

Cheers

Geoff
Agreed - a speedo reading isn't a reliable indicator of how far the vehicle has travelled. A good set of service records, receipts etc etc is a much better way of assessing a vehicle.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.