Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 13-02-14
Valued Member

Default HTC One Mini

Ok wondering if I can get a bit of help. I don't know tech and people here do..

The phone mentioned in the title- can I sync that with my Hotmail to get my contact list?

My htc windows phone backed up my contact list into Hotmail, and that phone has completely crapped out and I need a replacement asap.

or, are there any other non-windows phones that will sync my contacts with the Hotmail to get them all back?

reason I'm not wanting another windows phone is because this one left a sour taste in my mouth. I originally liked it, but it just started to have one issue after another recently. I may have got a lemon, I don't know, but I don't feel like another one unless its about half the price of the One Mini.

Quick gander at the specs and the One Mini is about the size I want (about iPhone size) - things like the Galaxy or One are way too big.
I will be buying outright so want something "cheaper". I don't care about apps or anything like that. A phone is a phone- calls, text, media messages, internet browsing. That's all I need!

Cheers.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 14-02-14
Valued Member

If the HTC One Mini is Android (which I think it is), you can download the outlook.com app and it allows you to sync emails, contacts and calendar.

Another way is to use the native app by setting up an Exchange Active Sync account to sync with the hotmail server. Off the top of my head, the settings are something like:
Domain = blank
Username = your email address (eg john.smith@hotmail.com)
Password = your hotmail pw
Use SSL connection = ticked
Port = 443
server = s.outlook.com (also try blu-m.hotmail.com, I think they'll both resolve to the same server name once sync'd)

The first option is the easiest, but depends how you prefer to operate.

Also, I have had trouble with both ways that the contacts do not continue to sync after the inital setup. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Thats OK though as I my contacts sync fine with my work email account.
Old 14-02-14
Valued Member

Thanks. I might also try get the shop to help me out, however "Customer Service" is an unthought of term in a lot of places here, Telstra included it feels like!!!

If I get the mini, I'm planning on bringing the contacts over from hotmail (it's up to date), set up a new gmail email account for separate contact synch (if possible, I don't want it synching with my current account, too much crap there!) then back them up on that new account.

Maybe over the weekend, If i get around to it.
Trusty old Nokia is going strong at the moment. It works like a phone should; just no touchscreen makes internet hard!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Old 15-02-14
Valued Member

You should also be able to use the built in email client to include all your accounts.
If you set it to leave the messages on the server instead of deleting them after transfer you have an easy way of checking all in one go.
If I'm not mistaken there should be also apps out there to perform a complete backup of your email stuf on the old phone.
With that you can restore contacts and wanted old mails onto the new phone with ease.
Old 15-02-14
Valued Member

Got a Nokia Windows replacement.... I saw the One Mini at the shop and it wasn't that mini!

Telstra were friggin useless in the shop so I got this thing for $149 just to get me by....