Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

Default One way valve on airbox

Hey all,

After a recent trip to the high country and a bit of a play in some mud, I twigged that my airbox isn't actually sealed, so my snorkel isn't really doing all that much for me in deep crossings

The trip involved over the bonnet mud and afterwards when checking the air filter it looked like part of it had been dunked in mud and the rest of it was covered in a fair whack of spray. Culprit would be the bottom drain hole on the airbox I assume. Haven't gone and had a look at it yet, but is it possible to fit some kind of valve onto it that allows water to drain out, but not get in? I could just plug er up but I'd rather know that any water that did manage to find its way in there could still drain out (say a seal around the airbox worked its way loose or similar).

Any thoughts? Anyone done it before? Did a quick search but couldn't find much, just people talking about turning the air ram backwards in heavy rain (if anyone is reading this does actually do this - DON'T, it actually lets more water in this way as the evacuation system is designed to work with the ram head facing forwards so it all just goes straight in through there, only exception is heavy snowfall).

Thanks in advance
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

Try page 3 of this thread ...

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...is+week&page=3

Also, if you go into GOOGLE and type in ...

site:http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum vacuator valve

as your search, it will throw up a few threads.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

I got the metal drum, so no issues with water there.
For your valve, have you looked at a snorkel?
No not the one on your car, the ones for diving....
You get these cheap ones that use a pinpong ball to stop the water flow.
As a cheap adaptation I would use some PVC piping of suitable diameter,
a pingpong ball,
a rubber ring to fit inside the PVC pipe,
some silicone,
an end cap for the pipe - drill some small holes in the bottom.
Cut a small lenght of pipe to fit in your air box,
at one end use the silicone to glue the rubber ring in place - this is the upper end,
once dry insert the ball,
glue the end cap in place - on the opposite site, not where the rubber ring is,
glue into your air box.
Now the water can get out through the drilled wholes, so make sure the pipe does not stick into your box too much.
But when water starts to flood your engine bay, the ball will float up forming a seal at the rubber ring - no water in and as long as the engine runs the ball should sit at the rubber ring anyway.
Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

Cheers guys. I've come up with something of my own, will repost when I've worked out the details. Gotta make sure everything else on the box is properly sealed too as I've just looked for the drain hole and its mighty tiny for the amount of mud that must have got in there to soak the filter.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

My air box had two or maybe three holes in the bottom when I put the snorkel on - I filled them with Sikaflex. It is something they don't seem to tell you to do in the instructions. I just happened to notice them there and decided to seal them off.

You might want to check where the outside part of your snorkel joins the inside part - throught the mudguard. The joint there may be letting water in - not enough Sikaflex when you fitted it.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 10-05-13

The other thing is you had your snorkel supplied, and fitted.
Not a criticism, as it was a bigger job than i thought it would be, but you have NFI just how well sealed the connection is through the inside of the side panel.
I did mine myself, and was anal to make sure it's as watertight as a nuns nasty.
Used a stack of sikaflex, inside and outside the 2 joins that it needed. It took a week to clean that junk off my hands, I smeared so much over it, and packed the joins with it.
Then a week later, I got into the panel again, checked for bolt tightness, and resealed the joints again a second time.
I'm really, really confident mine won't leak, purely because it was mine, and I wasn't working to a clock in a workshop.

Same goes for my winch, after a nuclear war, the only survivors will be the cockroaches, and my winch plate mount.
Why? Because I welded, bolted, gusseted corners, and welded side brackets top, bottom and sideways, so it will never, ever break free, or come apart. Overkill, sure, but I am really confident in it now.
There is no chance in hell a fitter would have gone to those 2 extremes.
Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
The other thing is you had your snorkel supplied, and fitted.
Not a criticism, as it was a bigger job than i thought it would be, but you have NFI just how well sealed the connection is through the inside of the side panel.
I did mine myself, and was anal to make sure it's as watertight as a nuns nasty.
Used a stack of sikaflex, inside and outside the 2 joins that it needed. It took a week to clean that junk off my hands, I smeared so much over it, and packed the joins with it.
Then a week later, I got into the panel again, checked for bolt tightness, and resealed the joints again a second time.
I'm really, really confident mine won't leak, purely because it was mine, and I wasn't working to a clock in a workshop.

Same goes for my winch, after a nuclear war, the only survivors will be the cockroaches, and my winch plate mount.
Why? Because I welded, bolted, gusseted corners, and welded side brackets top, bottom and sideways, so it will never, ever break free, or come apart. Overkill, sure, but I am really confident in it now.
There is no chance in hell a fitter would have gone to those 2 extremes.
All very true. It was coated in the stuff around the usual suspect spots, but I never properly tested it. I'm actually thinking its possibly doing it around the circular things under the mounting bolts. I'll test er out at some point soon and then fit up my valve just to go ape shit on it lol.
Old 10-05-13

The other thing I've learnt in my short life is, that if you want a leak, then fit a self draining valve to something.
Anyone who has ever had a boat will agree on 2 things,
Boats rust, and self bailers leak.
Seal that sucker in the bottom of your air box up real tight.
Only way water can get into mine now is via the snorkel head.
With the engine going, it's going to suck some in for sure, in heavy rain or snow, but I can't see it flooding.
I it's raining so hard I think it's a possibility to happen, I will just put a sock on it. I've got one waiting in the Hidey hole under the back seat in readiness, as well as a stocking for a pre filter.
Old 10-05-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
The other thing I've learnt in my short life is, that if you want a leak, then fit a self draining valve to something.
Anyone who has ever had a boat will agree on 2 things,
Boats rust, and self bailers leak.
Seal that sucker in the bottom of your air box up real tight.
Only way water can get into mine now is via the snorkel head.
With the engine going, it's going to suck some in for sure, in heavy rain or snow, but I can't see it flooding.
I it's raining so hard I think it's a possibility to happen, I will just put a sock on it. I've got one waiting in the Hidey hole under the back seat in readiness, as well as a stocking for a pre filter.
I think my solution will be robust, but we will wait and see. Won't get hold of the equipment to do it til the end of the month. I'm not comfortable with a fully sealed system, as if it spontaneously leaks somewhere there's nowhere for the water to go.
Old 11-05-13
Who ya gunna call....

My hilux had one and I also had a snorkel fitted. I was told it was not to let water out but sand, small rocks etc. If you pinched it all that crap would fall out.
My gen 3 didn't and 4 doesn't have one. Block it up.