Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 29-04-13

Default Drivers seat splitting (leather seat, vinyl sides)

Hi all.
Leather seats in my 10/2008 25th anniversary NS which are vinyl on the sides.
I noticed today the vinyl just above the electric seat controller has a small split where it creases each time I get in and out.
Now I'm not particulalry heavy and the car has travelled only 80,000km.
Has anyone else had the problem and was it covers by warranty? It seems too early to have this happen.
Cheers
Andrew.
Old 30-04-13

Mine split there at about 60k. I blamed the wife adjusting the seat with a key in her hand. I might owe her an apology.
Old 30-04-13

FWIW, an excellent condition 06 (160K) Exceed I just bought, have the same tear. Aside from this, the only other damage to the upholstery was the passenger rear pocket where previous kids have been shoving in the oversized headsets.
Old 30-04-13
Valued Member

Mine went on the driver's seat just before it was out of warranty - about 100,000km. Local MM dealer was supposed to do it under warranty and then went broke - new seat cover he'd supposedly got for me couldn't be found and it's never been done.

The local upholstery blokes say they can't match the leather - they would need to buy a whole hide. The best they can offer me is to replace the stuffed panels with vinyl.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 30-04-13

Although mine is not leather, it has a hole in the same spot. Car had 65k and 4yrs old at time, mitsubishi knocked it back for warranty based on fair wear & tear.
Old 30-04-13

Default cracked vinyl

Mine had the same crack. Local dealer fixed it under warranty.
They sent it to a local upholsterer who replaced the vinyl section with heavy duty vinyl. They put extra padding over the metal bit that caused the tear. Colour match was almost perfect, you couldn't tell the difference unless you knew it had been replaced.
Old 30-04-13
Valued Member

Seems to be a reasonably common problem.
My NP had the same split when I bought it 2yr ago at 190,000klms.
It annoyed me so I took it to my local trimmer and said "Al, fix it".
He did, while I waited for about 20mins.
He opened up the split a little and put a small vinyl offcut inside.
Smeared some contact adhesive on it with a cotton bud and did the same to the inside of the torn areas.
Went and made a coffee, came back and stuck all the little pieces back where they had come from originally.
We finished our coffees while the contact took hold and I headed back to work.
Time ?...20mins
Cost ?....zilch

having seen it done, I'll do it myself if a similar thing happens again.
It's barely noticeable unless you know where it is.

Good job Al...........
Old 03-05-13

I too experienced the seat split issue. Returned the car MMA and they had a local guy repair the seat. Covered under warranty.
Old 03-05-13
Administrator

Just as a matter of interest do any of you guys treat the leather with leather conditioner.. I do mine at least twice a year & all my seats back & front are soft & excellent condition NM Exceed 11 years old in Oct..

I wouldn't be happy if mine split even now..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals
Old 03-05-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Just as a matter of interest do any of you guys treat the leather with leather conditioner.. I do mine at least twice a year & all my seats back & front are soft & excellent condition NM Exceed 11 years old in Oct..

I wouldn't be happy if mine split even now..

Gus.
No, maybe that is what I should have done. My back seats are as good as new but the front ones are pretty ordinary - usually only have people in the front seats. Looking back I wish I had put seat covers on them.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.