Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 04-09-11

Default leather repair

hey all in my 96 3.5 it has the grey leather seats and they are pretty badly cracked. I want to have a crack at repairing them and seen you can rub them down and apply a dye. Does anyone know of any good retailers or advice?

thanks in advance
Old 04-09-11
Valued Member

If you do it yourself, it isn't easy to finish up with a good durable repair, especially after seeing an upholstery-repairer work his magic on a ripped leather-recliner. Two tricky things are matching & blending-in of the colour & texture.

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
Old 04-09-11

Depending on where on the seat they are cracked, you may be better off finding a close match in material color and replacing that section, or sewing in over the top (this is a cheap way to fix the seating on the bum area which can also be hand stitched and still look good without pulling the whole thing apart).
Having been raised around my mother who was a competent industrial machinist with furniture and her boyfriend for a while who used to do upholstery repairs for prestige and sports cars (before going on to start Australian Car Bra Manufacturers in our garage), I know it can be a fiddly job to do it properly and achieve the right looking result and feel.
There are ways of making it 'look the part' without going too much into it, like what I have mentioned, but either way is too dificult to try and describe in detail online, particularly as every vehicle seat design is diferent.
If it is just a small slice in the leather, these can be 'patched', and color matching would be critical, but if they are cracking due to age, use, and exposure in high 'traffic' areas, then I dont think you will get the result and durability you are probably looking to achieve without relacing or recovering that section.