Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 13-04-11

Default Drain hole in Airbox and Snorkel

Hi,
I just fitted a snorkel on my Paj and was wondering if I should drill a new drain hole since the original one is covered now.
Somehow I'd like a sealed system, but am concerned with water coming in through the snorkel when driving in rain.
BTW, I bought mine from spain and comparing to a safari I'd spend the extra money next time.
Old 13-04-11
Valued Member

some people have fitted one way valves to the bottom of the airbox after fitting snorkels. I have never bothered with mine and have never had a problem.

pat
Old 13-04-11

X2 - drove through the heaviest rain I've ever encountered last year for over 1.5 hours - no water in the airbox via my Safari

Cheers
TG
2006 NP Exceed DiD, dual batteries, OME suspension, Polyairs, Waeco CF50, 'Custom' rear storage, Bridgestone 694LT's, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, diff breathers, Bushskinz Bashplates - full set, AORC Quantum
Old 13-04-11
Valued Member

Default drain hole in airbox and snorkel

Now why would you want to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox ???? when all you have to do, is turn the top of the air filter on the snorkel to face the rear, if your worried about rain driving down the snorkel, that way you wont have the prob, simples.
Old 13-04-11
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion 42 View Post
Now why would you want to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox ???? when all you have to do, is turn the top of the air filter on the snorkel to face the rear, if your worried about rain driving down the snorkel, that way you wont have the prob, simples.
Simply, some snorkels have a fixed head and can not be rotated.

Shane.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 13-04-11
Valued Member

I believe I may have started this piece of paranoia a year or so back. Basically I was concerned that the original equipment vacuator valve had been by passed and discarded with the fitting of a snorkel.

I did a post back then titled New Snokel (sic) this week, sorry I have not learned how to do that link thing to the thread but do a search and you will find it.

It may or may not have been a problem in the long run but my mates Rodeo had a small one in the bottom of the air box that I reckoned I could duplicate and I was much happier to have one than not, you be your own judge on this one. It was $hit easy to do, cost less than $6.00 and now I'm happy.

By the way not all snorkel heads are designed to be turned backwards - my Airtec for one whilst having a removable head would hit against the A pillar and sit at a wierd angle.
Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good
Old 13-04-11
Valued Member

Rebel, I was just going to link your thread..http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9646

PS. see at the top of the screen the gobblygook that reads http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9646 ...to link threads simply 'right-click' the mouse to highlight the gobblygook, then 'right-click' the mouse again and a table should popup which will say copy / cut / paste etc, select copy and its in the memory, then go to the post you want to post it and 'right-click' again and select paste..there it is.

PPs. Its best to keep the forum open in one browser tab and open the forum again in a second browser tab ... that way you find your old stuff in one browser version of the forum and you're writing in another and move between the two.

You'll sort it .... if not, go out the front and find the closest 10yr old kid...they'll show ya quick time!
Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Last edited by AJC; 14-04-11 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 14-04-11

Thanks for all the replies, just had a 100km drive through heavy rain with 130 km/h average speed. Not a single drop in the air box.
I know that the head can be turned, I'm just lazy and don't feel like doing this in the rain.
Old 14-04-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Rebel, I was just going to link your thread..http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9646

PS. see at the top of the screen the gobblygook that reads http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9646 ...to link threads simply 'right-click' the mouse to highlight the gobblygook, then 'right-click' the mouse again and a table should popup which will say copy / cut / paste etc, select copy and its in teh memory, then go the the post you want to post it and 'right-click' again and select paste..ther it is.

Ps. Its nest to keep the forum open in one browser tab and open the forum again in a second browser tab ...that way you find you old stuuff in one browser version of the forum and you're writing in another and move between the two.

You'll sort it ....if not, go out the front and find the closest 10yr old kid...they'll sow ya quick time!
Thanks AJC I'll give that a go sometime. I am one of those blokes that has to take his digital watch down to the local primary school to get them to change it back from daylight savings time Being one of the generation that was not bought up in the age of computers I strugle with this sort of thing and anything past a bit of basic word processing and powerpointing gets lost somewhere in the fuzz inside my head - does not compute
Merv
Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good