Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

Default Catch can comparison

Having recently forked out near $400 for a HPD catch can, I was interested to read the article in the latest Unsealed 4x4 magazine (Issue 057).

They compared a number of catch cans and the HPD didn't fair well compared to the the others (less efficiency and higher pressure drop). I am feeling a bit of buyers remorse now and wish I'd purchased one of the Provent models.

I know you can't always believe everything you read, but thought I'd raise it as food for thought for those considering purchasing a can in the near future.
Old 10-12-18
Valued Member

Default Catch can comparison

Mate, I read the exact same comparison article just now and felt buyers remorse on behalf of HPD owners such as yourself. I very seriously considered the HPD but went the Provent at the last minute mainly due to cost.

Looks like Curtin University tested them, though there may be some far more mechanically minded people on here who pick problems with the method.

For the benefit of other forum members...

Happy to have these screenshots removed if forum mods deem there to be potential copyright infringements. Mind you, itís a free web magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-18
Resident

As the owner of a HPD catch can I'm quite happy to accept that it doesn't perform as well as the ProVent, or some of the other catch cans on the market.

Without having read the entire article, two questions come to mind.

1. What is the typical real-world flow through a catch can? Are the flow rates of the test representative of what these cans see in the real world?

2. They used a nebuliser to spray the oil mist into the air stream, which seems a reasonable way to conduct the experiment. Is this amount of oil and the size of the "mist" droplets representative of what these cans see in the real world?

At max flow, the HPD can had double the pressure drop of the ProVent, which looks bad when comparing the graphs. Ultimately, the max HPD pressure drop was about 42mbar, or 0.61psi. I'm not going to lose any sleep over that.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 10-12-18

My new ProVent arrived today, good to see it performs well. I wouldn't be to concerned about the results, plenty of people have them fitted without complaint.
It would be interesting to know the pressure coming out of the rocker cover
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 13-12-18
Valued Member

I had wondered about the fact that some catch cans eg Flashlube, Mann-Provent advertise that they have pressure relief valves, whereas the HPD model (that I have) does not. Is this a disadvantage of the HPD? So I emailed HPD and received the following reply which might be of interest:

"No we donít have a pressure relief valve on our catch cans for the simple reason is we donít need one. we operate by condensing the oil from the air and in turn run a very open weave stainless steel filter media.

In 7 years we have never had one unit block.

the competition are trying to force oil impregnated air through a very tight micron filter causing back pressure on the crack [sic] case. Once this filter gets a firm coating of oil that has been through the engine a few times it becomes dark and sooty. This dirty oil will block the tight micron filter and therefore block the catch can. Thatís why is important for them to run a pressure relief because they know soon enough their unit will block and you will have to buy another filter for it."
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads
Old 13-12-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
the competition are trying to force oil impregnated air through a very tight micron filter causing back pressure on the crack [sic] case. Once this filter gets a firm coating of oil that has been through the engine a few times it becomes dark and sooty. This dirty oil will block the tight micron filter and therefore block the catch can. Thatís why is important for them to run a pressure relief because they know soon enough their unit will block and you will have to buy another filter for it."
So basically itís a choice of a 70 odd percent efficiency filter that you need to replace every now and then, or a 30 odd percent efficiency filter that you never need to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13-12-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
I had wondered about the fact that some catch cans eg Flashlube, Mann-Provent advertise that they have pressure relief valves, whereas the HPD model (that I have) does not. Is this a disadvantage of the HPD? So I emailed HPD and received the following reply which might be of interest:

"No we donít have a pressure relief valve on our catch cans for the simple reason is we donít need one. we operate by condensing the oil from the air and in turn run a very open weave stainless steel filter media.

In 7 years we have never had one unit block.

What a load of bullshit...Mine has done 50,00klms, and the filter is as good as new. Yes..I have washed it but believe me..there really was no need..I was interested to see what crud came out...f all. Mann & Hummel have been around for decades, are german and their business is centered around filtration systems. The Pro-vent is sold world wide and millions have been sold.Hpd have just jumped on the copycat bandwagon hoping to make a quick buck with a product not as good as the original pro-vent.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 13-12-18
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
What a load of bullshit...Mine has done 50,00klms, and the filter is as good as new. Yes..I have washed it but believe me..there really was no need..I was interested to see what crud came out...f all. Mann & Hummel have been around for decades, are german and their business is centered around filtration systems. The Pro-vent is sold world wide and millions have been sold.Hpd have just jumped on the copycat bandwagon hoping to make a quick buck with a product not as good as the original pro-vent.
The HPD isn't a copy-cat - it's an alternative. The copy-cats are the "ebay knock-offs" in the "Results Summary" page, the ones that look like a Pro-Vent, but are made from inferior components.

You also need to remember that you are driving a relatively new, modern, well-maintained vehicle, and you don't see much come out of your filter because you maintain it regularly. Any oil coming through your ProVent filter has little soot in it, because you don't let the soot build up in the oil.

Take a 30 year old diesel with worn rings and stuffed injectors, that blows smoke like a steam train, and has "extended oil change intervals" (i.e. the owner is too cheap / lazy / ignorant to change oil as necessary).

Its oil will be full of soot, and it will send massive amounts through the Pro-Vent because its piston rings leak pressure into the sump like a sieve. If that vehicle is fitted with a ProVent, and the owner doesn't maintain the ProVent properly (which they won't, because they don't maintain anything properly), then the filter is at risk of clogging, and the vents become critical to prevent damage to various engine seals.

Is ProVent technically better than the HPD? Without a doubt. Is HPD's comment wrong? Not indisputably. Their claims are relevant for some installations, but not all. For owners who maintain their vehicles as well as you do, there may be little real-world difference in performance between the two products.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 13-12-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
The HPD isn't a copy-cat - it's an alternative. The copy-cats are the "ebay knock-offs" in the "Results Summary" page, the ones that look like a Pro-Vent, but are made from inferior components.

You also need to remember that you are driving a relatively new, modern, well-maintained vehicle, and you don't see much come out of your filter because you maintain it regularly. Any oil coming through your ProVent filter has little soot in it, because you don't let the soot build up in the oil.

Take a 30 year old diesel with worn rings and stuffed injectors, that blows smoke like a steam train, and has "extended oil change intervals" (i.e. the owner is too cheap / lazy / ignorant to change oil as necessary).

Its oil will be full of soot, and it will send massive amounts through the Pro-Vent because its piston rings leak pressure into the sump like a sieve. If that vehicle is fitted with a ProVent, and the owner doesn't maintain the ProVent properly (which they won't, because they don't maintain anything properly), then the filter is at risk of clogging, and the vents become critical to prevent damage to various engine seals.

Is ProVent technically better than the HPD? Without a doubt. Is HPD's comment wrong? Not indisputably. Their claims are relevant for some installations, but not all. For owners who maintain their vehicles as well as you do, there may be little real-world difference in performance between the two products.

What irks me is the garbage that comes out of a dealers mouth when another product that they dont sell is mentioned. Been many threads on the forum about people being told porky pies in an attempt to discredit a particular make oy type of product. I cant see the provent clogging up unless the oil vapour was pitch black and thick...we are taking vapour. Of course it is possible but unlike the hpd can the resulting pressure would escape and do no damage.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 13-12-18
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I cant see the provent clogging up unless the oil vapour was pitch black and thick...we are taking vapour. Of course it is possible but unlike the hpd can the resulting pressure would escape and do no damage.
Agreed.

Scorpro Explorer Box