• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • _jp_
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Adelaide Hills, SA

Engine oil for NW diesel?

I had trouble using the search function for this, so apologise if someone has already answered this before.

I have an NW diesel which is soon to reach 7500km at which point I'd like to perform my own intermittent oil change.

At the risk of opening a massive can of worms, can you please advise your recommendation, experience or cautions regarding which engine oil to use.

The dealership I purchased it from advised they use "Caltex Delo Synthetic Blend 10W/40" but can't find that exact product. Also, I think the Delo branded items are generally sold in drums for commercial application, not your average home mechanic.

Cheers.
    NW GLXR - SOLD
    --------------
    EVO 6 TME
  • Yclept
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Sydney

Sometimes it's easier to search the site using Google.

Throw something like this into a Google search box: "site:http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au engine oil"

Cheers, Brett

2013 NW Pajero VRX - White - 3000kg Tow Kit - Sports Mesh Grille - Bonnet & Light Protectors/Weathershields - Thule Wingbar - Tyre Snake - Couplertec Electronic Rustproofing - Maxtrax Mk1 - Piranha Aux Battery Tray - Redarc 1240 Charger - ARB 47 Litre Fridge - MSA Fridge Drop Slide - Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier - ORS Drawers - ARB Deluxe Bullbar - GME TX3540 UHF & AE4703 Antenna - ARB Intensity Lights - ARB Onboard Compressor - Bilstein/Dobinsons Susp - Bushskinz x 4

Comment

• _jp_
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2013
      • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by Yclept View Post
      Sometimes it's easier to search the site using Google.

Throw something like this into a Google search box: "site:http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au engine oil"
      Thanks Brett. I wanted to specifically search the Generation 4-3 section of the forum for the word "oil", not the whole site.
      NW GLXR - SOLD
      --------------
      EVO 6 TME

Comment

• schnitzel
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Bendigo

Most oil companies now have a commercial range and a retail range, the retail equivalent for yours is

quote"

MITSUBISHI (Also see FUSO)
        Pajero (4x4) NW, 4M41 3.2 Litre Turbo Diesel (2011-2014)

Crankcase
        HAVOLINE FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W-40
        Service Refill Capacity: 9.8* Litres
        See notes 499, 83 below.

unquote" staright from the caltex site

Caltex Australia provides high-quality products and services for when you're on the road. From Techron® fuels, lubricants, service stations, and more!
        Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Muzza
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Nsw

Yes you are right about opening up a can of worms
          The NW no longer has a DPF and therefore doesn't need a full synthetic oil

The general range
          Would be
          A 10/40 semi synthetic Diesel oil

Beyond this it up to your pocket
          Muzza
          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• schnitzel
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Bendigo

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
            Yes you are right about opening up a can of worms
            The NW no longer has a DPF and therefore doesn't need a full synthetic oil

The general range
            Would be
            A 10/40 semi synthetic Diesel oil

Beyond this it up to your pocket
            sort of correct they dont have a dpf, they now call them after exhaust emission devices and the recommendation to maintain your service interval is synthetic but you could as in this case go semi if doing interim services although caltex dont list an oil of that type as suitable.

p.s. a semi synthetic diesel oil is far to broad a description i can pull up a heap of those that are definitely not suitable you need to be looking at the API and ACEA ratings, viscosity is not a good way of ensuring compatibility.
            Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• _jp_
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Adelaide Hills, SA

Thanks all for your input (keep it coming). As per Schitzels lead I used the lubricant recommendation guide from various sites and the results are below

Dealer uses
              Caltex Delo Synthetic Blend 10W-40

Caltex site recommends
              HAVOLINE FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W-40

Nulon site recommends
              FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-30 DIESEL FORMULA LONG LIFE ENGINE OIL

Valvoline site recommends
              SYNPOWER FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-40

Penrite site recommends
              HPR DIESEL 10 10W-40 (Semi Syn.) 10w-40

Shell website recommends
              HELIX ULTRA 5W-40

Castrol site recommends
              CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4

So now I'm even more confused as the viscosity recommendation varies between each manufacturer Does it just come down to personal brand choice?
              NW GLXR - SOLD
              --------------
              EVO 6 TME

Comment

• _jp_
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2013
                • Adelaide Hills, SA

It looks like the Clatex Havoline doesn't and a "C" API classification, only an "S".
                C = Compression ignition (diesel)
                S = Spark ignition (petrol)

So with this in mind it looks like the Valvoline or Nulon (both fully synthetic) or Penrite (semi synthetic) are the most likely candidates. Although they recommend slightly different viscosity.

Just to clarify, this isn't a matter of money and I'm happy to buy fully synthetic oil, I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff.
                Last edited by _jp_; 05-05-14, 09:39 PM.
                NW GLXR - SOLD
                --------------
                EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Dude
                  • Sep 2011
                  • Victoria Point

The guy from the technical help line at Castrol told me about a year ago to use either the Castrol 5w 40 magnatec professional (only availible in 20l drums) or the Edge you found. He also said the magnatec desil 15w 40 was also suitable - I tried it and felt the car didn't go as well and so did my wife actually she commented first anti-placebo? Maybe but I diched it and went the 5w40 synthetic dpf oil from the dealership.

He also said as long as you stick to the big brands and follow what they recomend I'll be fine.

There are some horror stories in the US where some 'new'oils had traces of coolant and used engine oil. Some had the consistancy of water etc. But these were all dodgey sounding brands.

The oem oil isn't too badly priced if your nervous and I think its made by castrol anyway.

Interestingly though, and maybe Schnitzel can answer this, does the high saps (non-dpf oil) lubricate better since it has sulphated ash in it?

dude.

Comment

• boritz
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Gippsland VIC

I did an NW MY13 intermediate oil change recently and MM dealers were price competitive:

2 x 5 litres Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40 Part No. AW351667 - API CD, CF; JASO DH-1; ACEA E3.

Oil filter Part No. 1230A046

Sump plug gasket 14mm Part No. MD050317.
                    Cheers,
                    Dave.
                    NW GLX-R MY13 3.2 DiD auto.
                    2016 Concept Innovation 600R caravan

Comment

• radical
                      • Jan 2012
                      • sydney

Don't use anything thicker than 5w-40. I originally started using penrite hpr diesel 5 (10 litre container). With no problems. Recently switched to castrol rx 15w-40 (20 litre drum) to save some money as I do all the servicing myself.

I found that the castrol oil caused timing chain rattle for the first 10 seconds or so on cold morning starts. Could be the oil pump needs more time to build up oil pressure with thicker oil?

With this last change I switched back to the penrite as the timing chain rattle worried me. Now the paj purrs again without a hint of timing chain noise. Oils ain't oils after all. I use Donaldson filters too.
                      2011 NT platinum auto. Raised Lovells HD all round, bilstein shocks, 3 bushskinz plates, egr block, egr cooler removed, throttle body butterfly removed, optima blue top second battery, arb dual battery tray, ctek dual d250s, stebel horn, hankook dynapro muddies, dba 4000 t3 front rotors.

Comment

• Nater
                        • Aug 2011
                        • Sunshine Coast

I use Nulon FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-30 DIESEL FORMULA and change it out every 7500km inc filter. It's certainly not the cheapest oil around but why take the risk.
                        2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank

Comment

• Pajero1947
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Boronia

I've had two different oils put in by two different Mitsubishi dealers,
                          one ; Valvoline Diesel Extra 15W40 the other ; Valvoline Semi Syn Dura SAE 10w40 ??.

Jim
                          2012 NW 'ACTIV' ARB suspension, Dual Battery system,Hella 'Compact' driving Lamps. Polyair air bags

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Hastings

dealers put what ever brand they can buy at the best rates, and get the best deals ect with.
                            2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• psproule
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Googong, NSW

They don't use an oil pressure actuated timing chain tensioner. It's simply a spring tensioner. Maybe they used a cheap filter with no drain-back valve, or maybe it's time to look at valve clearances.

Pat
                              2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X