Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 05-01-19
Valued Member

Default Coolant change interval 3 or 4 years?

My NW has had Blue SLL coolant since new. It was changed at 45000km (3 years) as per the book. It is now due again at 90000km (6 years).

It is now out of warranty so it will not be done at the dealership.

My understanding is that the NX intervals are 60000km (4 years) using the same coolant in the same motor. There is talk in other threads that the factory started using blue SLL in the NW but did not update the service schedule in the manual to reflect its longer service life.

At this stage I'd like to keep using the genuine SLL coolant rather than change to another brand.

So my question is, should I change it as per the book (now), or push it out to 4 year intervals?
Old 05-01-19
Valued Member

I have a tame mechanic (a good friend) who I use for annual roadworthy certificates and any major work on my cars. The rest I will do myself as long as I am physically able. My friendly mechanic has testing gizmos - one which analyses the brake fluid for moisture and also another device which checks the coolant to assess its anti-corrosion properties. I live in a very dry area and hence brake fluid degradation is not such an issue as it is in coastal areas. As for the coolant, I suspect that the climate where you live has no influence on life of the coolant. If you can find a tame mechanic with these tools you could save yourself some money by extending its life.

For what it is worth, I believe that the blue coolant is rated for at least 4 years anyway. That is what the local dealer used in my NW Pajero as well.
Old 05-01-19

As indicated above the ethylene glycol doesn’t wear out but corrosion resistance does. I add a corrosion inhibitor to my system every couple of years to bring the PH in check. Not sure what’s available for your ‘type’ of blue coolant but may help.
Old 08-01-19
Valued Member

I just chnaged my SLL blue coolant last week, the vehicle is 5 years, i stuck with mitsubishi coolant $110 per 5 lt,
The radiator drain was about 5lt, I then disconnected one of the rear heater hoses near the transmission and drained another 2lt, then using a small amount of commpressed air in the heater line got another 1.5lt out, so all up 8.5lt t out of the 10.7 ( handbook figure).
2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana
Old 08-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
I just chnaged my SLL blue coolant last week, the vehicle is 5 years, i stuck with mitsubishi coolant $110 per 5 lt,
The radiator drain was about 5lt, I then disconnected one of the rear heater hoses near the transmission and drained another 2lt, then using a small amount of commpressed air in the heater line got another 1.5lt out, so all up 8.5lt t out of the 10.7 ( handbook figure).
Thanks Muzza. I was hoping to get away with 2x 5L containers and not have to worry about buying the 0.7L extra which sounds like I will.
Old 10-01-19
Valued Member

I used the nulon blue after ringing the tech line. 7 year interval and is suitable to mix with genuine if some still remains in system.