• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joedan
    • Feb 2014
    • Narangba

Pajero Sport 2018 GLS - Gear changes very prominent vs Challenger

Was thinking of trading my 2011 MY12 PB XLS Challenger in for a 2018 GLS Pajero Sport.

Took the wife down to the dealer to test drive the said vehicle that had 61kms on it; it had just arrived on the lot.

Beautiful car by the way, fell in love straight away.

Anyway we started the test drive firstly with the wife driving in 2H auto (D).
    Within the first 30 seconds we noticed that the gear shift changes were so prominent and could be felt so strongly while driving. Haven’t felt gear shift changes like that in any car for years. Wife was put off this vehicle straight away, I must admit I was surprised myself as both a passenger and also a driver as I took it for a spin. With 8 speeds it constantly changes gears but I didn’t expect to feel the first few so prominently while taking off, there really was a bit of kickback moving through the lower gears, no way a smooth as our Challenger.

The car is amazing but I am mortified the wife picked up on this and refuses to move forward with purchasing this car.

As much as I hate to agree with her, the PB Jatco box may be a dinosaur in comparison, but it’s much smoother than the Pajero Sport when it comes to gear changes.

I am left wondering if I drove a dud vehicle? It beats the challenger in every other aspect but this.
    Last edited by Joedan; 02-08-18, 04:26 AM.
    MY12 PB Challenger XLS Auto 7 seats - ARB Deluxe Bar, Bushskinz (Intercooler & Sump), MM Tow Kit, Scanguage II
  • Joedan
    • Feb 2014
    • Narangba

I am wondering whether the car was just too new and needed a good run in first.

Also trying to decipher Old Jacks comments about the gearbox here

..but I just don’t have the technical understanding to determine if what we felt is normal.

Might have to test drive another GLS...
    MY12 PB Challenger XLS Auto 7 seats - ARB Deluxe Bar, Bushskinz (Intercooler & Sump), MM Tow Kit, Scanguage II

Comment

• DID Dash
      • Aug 2016
      • Australia

Have you thought to drive another car to confirm the findings ? I drove 4 Pajero Sports before purchasing mine (delivery tomorrow) They all shifted up and down smoothly. Only engine note and tacho giving indication of gear shift. Was it 61 km on clock, or 61000 km ? I hope mine is a good as those I already drove, if so, will be very happy.
      17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• The Commodore
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Macarthur Region NSW.

The only time I've ever felt a bad change on our GLS is in a roundabout and probably confused the box and changing my mind where I wanted the throttle but that was a long time ago.

I'm pretty sure they build up a "memory" and settle to a regular change pattern.

Ours is definitely smoothest if towing the caravan in auto but mostly that is done manually changing gears.

Keith.
        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
          • Mar 2018
          • Western Australia

The only time I notice a gear change in my PS is from 1st to 2nd under acceleration. After that I have no idea what gear it is in as I cannot feel the changes happening. All up, I think the gearbox is very smooth.

Try another drive in a different PS.

Comment

• Amok
            • Dec 2016
            • Sydney

Sounds like you drove a car with a Friday afternoon gearbox
            MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• marlin1856
              • Apr 2013
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
              The only time I notice a gear change in my PS is from 1st to 2nd under acceleration. After that I have no idea what gear it is in as I cannot feel the changes happening. All up, I think the gearbox is very smooth.

Try another drive in a different PS.
              Mine is similar to yours, smooth everywhere except 1st to 2nd which you feel but is still smooth.
              2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010
                • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I know why.

This thread is almost perfect timing. See this writeup in my MM4x4 thread.
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

I found on the PS coming to a stop could hear feel going into first.. As was in Dec 2015 could have been also to new.. Going through its learn

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• DID Dash
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Australia

Clocked over a 1000kms in my Pajero Sport since taking delivery 10 days ago. I am loving the 8 speed auto. I find the gearshifts smooth and decisive, especially when driving it with medium to firm accelerator inputs. I do notice that with really light throttle (like car parks etc) you can feel the shifts a little coarse occasionally. Paddle shift is a delight to use. Even for a manual transmission lover, I think I am a convert now.
                    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X