• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slagathor
    • Apr 2012
    • Brisbane

Which Transmission Fluid? NG Pajero

Hi everyone, what transmission fluid would you use for an NG pajero (5spd 4d56t). I have only found threads on newer pajeros and they recommend castrol VMX-M. Is this also suitable for the gen 1 pajeros?

Bonus points for:
    How much fluid I will actually need.
    Any hints and tips on servicing the transmission/transfer case.

Any suggestions appreciated, Cheers.
  • Slagathor
    • Apr 2012
    • Brisbane

Wondering what engine oil is best for you? Look up your vehicle model and find the right fit for your car's engine. Check out our recommendations here.

This thing is awesome!

However I have noticed that Castrol recommends VMX-M 75W-85 for the transfer case, yet I am reading from users that EPX 80W-90 is recommended in the manual? Can anyone advise here on what is best

Comment

• jacob.naturberg
      • Sep 2018
      • Renmark, Riverland, SA

Hej Slagathor, did you serviced the transmission/transfer case?

Mine seems to be leaking and now I'm on the run for any helpful Information!

Cheers.

PS: I've got the original Manual and it says:
      - Manual Transmission fluid 2.2 L
      - Transfer case fluid 2.2 L
      - API class GL-4 or higher
      - SAE viscosity 80W or 75W/85W

____
      Pajero 1990 NG Superwagon 2.5l Turbo Diesel
      FRANKY –– Pajero NG WSG 1990 4D56T 2.5l Turbodiesel intercooler V5MT1 Gearbox
      https://naturberg.co –– @jacob.naturberg

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey bud if you google search any brand of oil and datatech it'll bring up their data site with recommendations. Nulon example below.

EPX80-90 is the recommendation for the front and rear diffs not the transfer case. Unless you have a limited slip rear diff which uses Castrol Axle Limited Slip 90.

The transfer case and manual gear box is VMX-M 75W-85.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• MMC89TD2.5
          • Apr 2017
          • Newcastle, NSW

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post

The transfer case and manual gear box is VMX-M 75W-85.
          hi mate, might be a silly question but the transfer case for the auto uses the same oil hey? (I found a pdf of the manual ages ago & it doesn't specify anything different so I'm going with it )

cheers,
          Kizza

Comment

• Jones12
            • Feb 2018
            • Hobart

This is what Penrite reccomends for Autos:
            ATF Multi Vehicle DX III is an advanced technology premium mineral, multi vehicle, red coloured, automatic transmission fluid that exceeds the requirements of GM Dexron® IIIH. It is manufactured from the latest additive technology and advanced hydrocracked base oils along with a viscosity modifier to minimize shear loss and provide outstanding performance through the life of the fluid. ATF DX-III has a drain period up to 160,000 Kilometres in US/Australian built GM Holden vehicles. Application ATF DX-III is designed for use in Automatic Transmissions and Power Steering units in passenger cars, 4WD's, light and heavy duty commercial vehicles. It can also be used in rotary vane and screw type compressors, hydraulic systems and manual transmissions where this type of fluid is specified. It is recommended for use in all vehicles that require a GM Dexron® II or III type product such as Holden, Toyota Nissan vehicles up to MY2006 as well as in BTR 4 speed automatic transmissions used by Ford and SsangYong where 91LE/95LE was specified. It can also be used in Mitsubishi automatics up to and including SP2 specification, Clark Powershift Transmissions and Allison World (W) Series automatic transmissions Please Note: Not for use in 6 and 8 speed ZF transmissions or 7 speed Mercedes Benz transmissions. Not for use in Direct-Shift or Dual Clutch Gearboxes (DSG/ DCT) or Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) Please refer to Penrite Recommendation Guide for the correct applications A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap

and for Transfer
            Pro Gear 75W-85 is a premium full synthetic manual gearbox oil manufactured from a blend of carefully selected synthetic base oils. It uses the latest technology, purpose designed additives for long service life and excellent load carrying capacity. It contains a unique viscosity modifier for stay-in-grade performance for the life of the drain. It meets the performance requirements of API GL-4 Plus as well as many manufacturer requirements. Application Pro Gear 75W-85 is suitable for manual gearboxes, transfer cases and transaxles in passenger cars, 4WDs and trucks that specify the use of SAE 75W-85 oils. It may also be used in place of an SAE 80 or SAE 80W-85 gearbox oil, especially to improve cold shift problems, where the lower start up viscosity will provide an easier shift. Pro Gear 75W-85 is also ideal in vehicles that are operating in highly loaded conditions such as in competition or when towing. It may also be used in manual gearboxes and transaxles that require a SAE 75W-80. Pro Gear 75W-85 is recommended for use in Aisin 6 speed manual gearboxes used by Toyota and in Holden Commodore VE V6 and is also suitable for use in GM NV3500 and NV4500 manual gearboxes. Note: This product is not suitable for use in differentials requiring an API GL-5 specification. For these applications, please use Penrite Pro Gear GL-5 75W-85 Please Note: A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap

Thats for a 1990 4d56T automatic, all the major oil brands (and auto stores) have product selectors now, makes it easy to check
            Last edited by Jones12; 11-11-18, 10:21 PM. Reason: Wrong link

Comment

• losduarte
              • Jan 2019
              • Oakland, CA, U.S.

Originally posted by Slagathor View Post
              Hi everyone, what transmission fluid would you use for an NG pajero (5spd 4d56t). I have only found threads on newer pajeros and they recommend castrol VMX-M. Is this also suitable for the gen 1 pajeros?

Bonus points for:
              How much fluid I will actually need.
              Any hints and tips on servicing the transmission/transfer case.

Any suggestions appreciated, Cheers.
              You may want to stick with the GL-4, 80W or 75w/85w for the transmission and transfer case (4.7 liters for both according to the service manual). I learned the hard way that the 90w for the transmission is a no no (hard gear shifting). The odd ball 75w/85w weight oil is pricier, but your gears and nerves will thank you.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X