Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 1 Week Ago

Default What The ???

I hope this works and you can hear the sound , whats happened, clutch in noise goes , clutch out , ouch........

Ideas on what it is?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15PZ...ew?usp=sharing

Forgot to add this build will be in memory of my late brother, and we were both pajero club members back in the day. Way back in the day many fond memories.
He had a SWB , so its a good thing I found one that needs some work but, body still good, and his spirit will be with me in the build.
Cheers Guys

Last edited by lovespaj; 1 Week Ago at 06:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespaj View Post
I hope this works and you can hear the sound , whats happened, clutch in noise goes , clutch out , ouch........

Ideas on what it is?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15PZ...ew?usp=sharing
Definitely no expert but sounds like the clutch isn't engaging and something is loose/unbalanced....
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

I hope I'm wrong, but it could be loose flywheel or (worse) broken crankshaft.

Either way, I think your flywheel / clutch assembly is loose and flopping around as the engine turns. Pushing the clutch applies pressure to the clutch assembly, which mostly eliminates the flopping around, so the noise disappears.

Years ago, I rebuilt an engine with a re-ground crankshaft, before I knew what to look for on the re-grind. The rear end of the rear main journal had no radius, which created a stress point, which is where the crankshaft cracked through. Clutch out, horrible noise at idle. Clutch in, noise disappeared.

An expensive physics lesson.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks I will pull it out when I pick it up in a few weeks, just bought it, its a 89 swb in good nick apart from that , was only $800 so shouldnt be too bad a project.

Main thing aircon works like you would believe and it changes gears like butter.

Worst case I suppose a new motor or gearbox, even though the gearbox looks new as its been freshly painted. Guy I have bought it of has only had it a year.

Keep those ideas coming, its certainly and interesting noise, at first I said mate its done a big end, but had me buggered once I put clutch in.

So would the crank start moving out the back of the motor? is that what I understand your saying? pressure off stays put, pressure on and well you hear it. did I get that right?
Thanks again
Mike