• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Originally posted by farcanal View Post
    Do you know if Fleetguard were included in those tests?

Fleetguard have been used in the mining industry for decades....you could not get a more severe environment than mining to test a filter.

Cummins is a name that comes to mind using Fleetguard.

The bloke at my local truck spares place said to me the other day (about oil filters specifically), “Ask any Kenworth owner what they use and they’ll say either Donaldson or Fleetguard”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
      I reckon you wouldn't know if you are having problems with the filter until it's too late anyway. Compression degrades as the fine particles which aren't being filtered slowly deprives you of power over 1-200000 km. But its all conjecture really as there isn't any easy way to test and by the time you see problems it could probably be attributed to other causes as well. In short you wouldn't know.

I think there was a post (possibly by Hill) discussing the results of lab testing of filters. The aftermarket ones didn't stack up against OEM IIRC.

I don't recall posting about Lab testing of filters.

Most filters are made by Sakura to specifications prescribed by component providers/manufacturers.

Hill
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by farcanal View Post
        Do you know if Fleetguard were included in those tests?
        Fleetguard have been used in the mining industry for decades....you could not get a more severe environment than mining to test a filter.
        Cummins is a name that comes to mind using Fleetguard.

Cummins own Fleetguard.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Hill View Post
          I don't recall posting about Lab testing of filters.

Most filters are made by Sakura to specifications prescribed by component providers/manufacturers.

Hill
          Well there you go, seems more like I'm talking out my arse.

Maybe it was air filters I was thinking of. Don't know where that thread is either BTW.

I don't necessarily prescribe to the notion that just because "big name" is using "such and such" that it is the best for my application too. May well be but I'd prefer a more evidence (as specific to my needs as possible) based claim.
          Sort of like an open claim like the best 4x4 is Toyota because everyone is buying them and therefore I should have got a Prado.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Danno47
            • Jul 2018
            • Townsville

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
            I reckon you wouldn't know if you are having problems with the filter until it's too late anyway. Compression degrades as the fine particles which aren't being filtered slowly deprives you of power over 1-200000 km. But its all conjecture really as there isn't any easy way to test and by the time you see problems it could probably be attributed to other causes as well. In short you wouldn't know.

I don't necessarily prescribe to the notion that just because "big name" is using "such and such" that it is the best for my application too. May well be but I'd prefer a more evidence (as specific to my needs as possible) based claim
            Hit the nail right on the head! I always smile when I see people on forums claiming that xyz oils or filters must be ok because they've been using it for 12 months with no probs! Bad or inferior oil and filters are much more likely to kill a motor long term, not within a few changes so it's best just to pay the extra few dollars up front and buy known quality not just expensive that is known to work in your application. Which would probably rarely be what's on special at SCA this week...but you never know I 'spose..

Comment

• farcanal
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Danno47 View Post
              Hit the nail right on the head! I always smile when I see people on forums claiming that xyz oils or filters must be ok because they've been using it for 12 months with no probs! Bad or inferior oil and filters are much more likely to kill a motor long term, not within a few changes so it's best just to pay the extra few dollars up front and buy known quality not just expensive that is known to work in your application. Which would probably rarely be what's on special at SCA this week...but you never know I 'spose..
              I used Fleetguard LF3830 oil filter on my NP for 9 years, over 20 oil changes and whilst I can't say how worn the motor was, I can say it was using minimal oil between changes. Had 280,000km on it when I traded it in.
              Oil was always a reputable brand, Shell mostly but sometimes Penrite.

Comment

• markc
                • Oct 2007
                • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by sterling View Post
                http://www.sydneyfilters.com.au/MISU...nw-nx-2006-on/
                Interchangeable with Ryco Z372
                I have had two of these on my NW and no problems
                $25 vs $60
                Ill take flleetguard over ryco any day.
                Fleetguard made by cummins are one of the largest diesel engine builders in the world. I' m more than sure they wont risk thier engines and warranties over average filters.
                Also put in ryco z372 into fleetguards cross referance and you'll get LF3830.
                Only difference externally between Mitsubishi old and new filter is old has a flat sealing ring and new one is an o ring type. Not sure about the internals, micron, media type or releif pressure.
                Last edited by markc; 08-11-18, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Satman
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Sydney

I've been using the Nippon MAX ME013307 ME215002 ME013307 from (Sydney Filters) which has a drain plug really handy feature which allows me to take a quick sample to give to my mate for a quick analysis of oil quality and also between service oil changes especially if I've been traveling a lot.
                  NX GLS MY16 Auto: TJM Bull Bar | Paddlle Shift & P-Mate | MMTowbar | Spare Lift Kit | SPVi Module | Torque Pro App | Motorola UHF | Icom IC7000 HF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Boo’s Bash Plate complete set | PX07 Boss Air Compressor | Lightbar | SC-80 & AGM 100A rear seat well | Bonnet struts | Custom built Drawer & Fridge slide.

Comment

• markc
                    • Oct 2007
                    • Brisbane Sth East

Who is concerned that 5w30 is very light, specially when towing?

Im sure MM have done their homework but I cant help think there's not much in reserve esspecially when you add in oil dilution from dpf regens and the higher loads and temps when towing close to the 3000kg limit

Are they chasing minute improvements in fuel ecconomy at a reduced safety margin with the oil.

I cant help but wonder if 5w40 would be an option but the manual for nx dpf engines gives only 1 choice 5w30

Last edited by markc; 18-11-18, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by markc View Post
                      Who is concerned that 5w30 is very light, esspecially when towing?
                      Me.

Im sure MM have done their homework but I cant help think there's not much in reserve esspecially when you add in oil dilution from dpf regens and the higher loads and temps when towing close to the 3000kg limit
                      I agree.

Are they chasing minute improvements in fuel ecconomy at a reduced safety margin with the oil.
                      Yes.

I cant help but wonder if 5w40 would be an option but the manual for nx dpf engines gives only 1 choice 5w30

You're right. When the Common Rail 4M41 was first released in the NS it had a range of viscosities based on environmental temperature range. Since the NT, I expect the only development work on the motor has been in the area of emissions - I doubt any of the internals have been touched, so it's hard to understand how a thinner oil can benefit anything other than emissions. If they can't pass the emissions tests with a thicker oil, I guess they can't list it in the manual.

I'm using 10W-40 in my NT. Theoretically I could save fuel if I used a thinner oil, but a thinner oil won't offer the same protection under some of the extreme conditions to which I subject my NT - I've had intake, coolant and transmission temps all above 100 degrees while bouncing off-road in high 30 degree ambients. I don't believe a 30 weight oil will protect my engine as well as a 40 weight oil in those conditions.

Yes, a lighter oil will provide better protection on start-up. But when I think about the number of "starts" vs the number of hours driving in high ambient temperatures, I'll take the thicker oil, thanks.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Danno47
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Townsville

Who is concerned that 5w30 is very light, esspecially when towing?

It is only for fuel economy with probably no homework and you are right it's at the long term expense of the motor and the oil looks very ordinary after a short time so I changed mine for a 5w 40 and turned the EGR off at the same time and the difference is noticeable. I supply my own oil at service time and I just supply it in a 5w30 bottle, I just tell them it's out of a 20l drum at home, to look and feel you can't really tell the difference between a 30 and a 40 anyway. Living up north here in the heat I will never run a 30w oil in my car.

Comment

• Aspey
                          • Dec 2015
                          • Great Southern Land

Does anyone use Baldwin or Wix filters? I hear Baldwin are supposed to be good.
                          Part No. BD7028 for the Baldwin and FO51675 for the Wix, (interchangeable with the LF3830.)
                          NP VRX DID

Comment

• Yeorgos
                            • Feb 2020
                            • Adelaide

Only difference externally between Mitsubishi old and new filter is old has a flat sealing ring and new one is an o ring type. Not sure about the internals, micron, media type or releif pressure.
                            The genuine Mitsubishi oil filter made in Thailand is made by Denso
                            The internal filter media is the same as the genuine Toyota oil filter media also made by Denso and although i don't know the micron rating they are a higher flowing filter
                            Last edited by Yeorgos; 05-04-20, 12:12 PM.
                            George
                            2016 NX GLS Pajero
                            2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                              I use the LF3830on my '15 NX, my NJ, my 2 son's MLs, and my Dad's ML.

Just bought a few a few weeks ago from local truck part supplier for $18ea, but hopefully a bit of trade discount in there.

Only issue I can think of is a possible change of filter medium due to the potential for oil dilution in the later NX models with DPF.
                              Genuine will also change part numbers to muck up the aftermarket suppliers for a while as well
                              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• MiteeWidge
                                • Mar 2014
                                • Townsville

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                                Genuine will also change part numbers to muck up the aftermarket suppliers for a while as well
                                That never occurred to me.
                                2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X