• Show
Clear All
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

KYB Skorched 4's struts/shocks

G'day all,

Thought I would do a long term review on these as I had a set fitted to the Paj today. There isn't too many people using these therefore there isn't much info on here about them. Hopefully I can change that to a degree over time. Haven't gone for a decent drive yet, but that will change soon so I can give feedback about the ride. Initial impressions are good though.

Stay tuned.....

P.S. Happy to answer questions where I can so feel free to post them
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

This is what I was going to replace mine on the NM, what shocks did you take out?
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Bundyk
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2012
      • North Nowra

They replaced the factory ones......after 221,xxx kms . They were knackered to say the least. Should be going for a decent drive on the weekend (onroad only) so I will update after that.
      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• maasau
        • Aug 2011
        • GA, USA

I have them fitted ~2 months ago..
        For sale from September:NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Auto \ Bushskinz intercooler+sump\ Dobinsons Raised + KYB Scorched4

Comment

• hobbo
          Valued Member
          • May 2009
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I had the H/D Kings Springs put in before xmas and I am looking to fit New shocks, I wanted to see what the Scorched 4 KYBs were like and I rate the standard KYBs as great for up to 200k km. Looking forward to your Report mate, I hope they still retain a comfortable ride as I have a crook back.
          NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• Bundyk
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2012
            • North Nowra

Well, so far so good. Have done some trekking around with the KYB's now and I am thoroughly impressed. The handling has improved with better turn-in on corners and the car now stays on track going around a rough corner. Braking has also improved quite a bit.

Compression and rebound rates seem quite good. There is no pitching, wallowing or any other unwanted movements as I'm driving and the ride is not bouncy in any way. The car is still quite comfortable

So far this is all anly on road driving, with off road to come

At this point, more than happy to recommend them to people.

Oh, and the Boss is happy!
            Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

I have the 2" Lovells HD springs and KYB shocks in my NP. Am currently touring the south coast of WA.

This suspension replaced the original after almost 120,000km. I am super wrapped in how the perform on and off road. They are better than the originals on road and on the corrugations they have been great. I am no suspension expert but they are very comfortable and secure on the corrugations. Very happy with them.
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• my.paj
                • Dec 2010
                • Tullamarine

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
                Well, so far so good. Have done some trekking around with the KYB's now and I am thoroughly impressed. The handling has improved with better turn-in on corners and the car now stays on track going around a rough corner. Braking has also improved quite a bit.

Compression and rebound rates seem quite good. There is no pitching, wallowing or any other unwanted movements as I'm driving and the ride is not bouncy in any way. The car is still quite comfortable

What springs do you have ? any road noise through the car ?
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• hobbo
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post

Thanks Bundy, this is Music to my ears, I'll be getting a set asap
                  NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• Bundyk
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • North Nowra

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                    What springs do you have ? any road noise through the car ?
                    Factory springs.........unfortunately.
                    Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

• Bundyk
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • North Nowra

UPDATE:

Well, after nearly 10,000km, I am still happy with my choice. We drove to Brisbane and back a couple of months ago, and they soaked up all the bumps on those rubbish roads with ease.

They also perform well off road. We have done a few fire trails and some short runs along corrugated roads and they gave kept everyone in the car comfortable. The car has somewhat lost its tendancy to skip around on the corrugated corners, even in 2H.

Still more than happy to recommend these to anyone!
                      Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

• Hill
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Adelaide

HI Bundy

Can we have an 18month update

Hill
                        200 Series
                        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Nab
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Perth

More like 30 month update haha! I'll fill you in on how mine are going.

Mine have done ~60,000km, front right leaked badly and has been replaced under warranty (supply only as I had them fitted elsewhere). Took a while to get it, apparently KYB have new owners and they want to inspect the old shock before sending out the new one - a bit hard to have the family car off the road for a month or more waiting for a decision to be made.

Apart from that all going well, recently did a 10,000km trip of which ~2000km+ was on gravel roads. Apart from the leaking front shock they handled well.
                          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Hill
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • Adelaide

More like 30 month update

Good point re time.

Seems like you go a reasonable from them.

Hill
                            200 Series
                            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X